PDA

View Full Version : Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Koho
01-19-2014, 10:41 AM
Warning and Condon sure have stepped up the last few games, nice to see those two get engaged again.

No doubt because a number of us have been telling them they need to. Now they need to get Rau reading this thread and they'll be just fine.

Koho
01-19-2014, 01:29 PM
Anyone know of a way to watch game replay of last night's game? BTN2go won't let me, as apparently your provider needs to not only carry BTN, but also be signed on for BTN2go, and mine isn't.

goldy_331
01-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Anyone know of a way to watch game replay of last night's game? BTN2go won't let me, as apparently your provider needs to not only carry BTN, but also be signed on for BTN2go, and mine isn't.

Stop by later l dvred it. Bring your skates and you can help shovel the rink too.

MGoBlueHockey
01-19-2014, 03:25 PM
Offtopic but is wrestling a big sport at Minnesota?

Greyeagle
01-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Offtopic but is wrestling a big sport at Minnesota?

Yes. J has built a power and it's big at the HS level.

Koho
01-19-2014, 04:00 PM
Stop by later l dvred it. Bring your skates and you can help shovel the rink too.

My guess is you are in TC's. Don't think I could make it down, shovel, and watch before I have to be back home to play tonight. Thanks though.

And what is this "DVR" thing you speak of?

5mn_Major
01-20-2014, 01:01 AM
My guess is you are in TC's. Don't think I could make it down, shovel, and watch before I have to be back home to play tonight. Thanks though.

And what is this "DVR" thing you speak of?

A newfangled VCR. ;)

Stauber1
01-20-2014, 03:50 AM
That was a great game on Saturday. For those who question why some folks (myself included) don't much care for the outdoor fad, just look at the two games this weekend.

To give credit where it is due, Cammarata has been getting some pretty heavy criticism on these boards lately (again, myself included in that). I felt he made a baby step at Penn St., and then a couple more this weekend. Saturday was the most I have seen from him all year in regards to answering some of the criticism he has received. It wasn't great, there were still a few times where he seemed a bit too willing to bail on a play, but it was better. That's all I have really been asking for. Hopefully he continues to improve in that area.

Great to see Warning come back a week after his 2-goal performance and put up the hat trick. He seems to have maybe energized Condon a bit as well which is good to see.

Wilcox was fantastic all weekend. Nothing terribly spectacular, but rock solid pretty much every time he was called upon. His rebound control was nearly perfect.

And Ambroz may be becoming my favorite player. The kid is playing with some serious purpose and confidence right now.

poisondart
01-20-2014, 08:31 AM
I agree with your thoughts on Cammy but a bigger concern for me was the body language of his line mates and the those that no longer are. Condon looks like a completely different player, almost like he's having fun again. Fasching and Rau are possibly my two favorite forwards on the team and on saturday their frustration was easy to see. It can't be easy playing with the little guy and he just has to produce if he's going to keep getting top 6 minutes. The coaching staff has been very patient but at some point the opportunities he's being given are going to be reduced. We're talking about a kid that has been the man on every team he's ever been on , even at Shattuck he outscored MacKinnon, so you begin to wonder if he is starting to question himself.

If he's as good as everyone seems to believe he'll figure it out, making 16,17 and 18 year old defense men look silly is a lot easier than doing it to 23 yearolds.

mnstate0fhockey
01-20-2014, 08:45 AM
I agree with your thoughts on Cammy but a bigger concern for me was the body language of his line mates and the those that no longer are. Condon looks like a completely different player, almost like he's having fun again. Fasching and Rau are possibly my two favorite forwards on the team and on saturday their frustration was easy to see. It can't be easy playing with the little guy and he just has to produce if he's going to keep getting top 6 minutes. The coaching staff has been very patient but at some point the opportunities he's being given are going to be reduced. We're talking about a kid that has been the man on every team he's ever been on , even at Shattuck he outscored MacKinnon, so you begin to wonder if he is starting to question himself.

If he's as good as everyone seems to believe he'll figure it out, making 16,17 and 18 year old defense men look silly is a lot easier than doing it to 23 yearolds.

Sorry, but if Condon was playing as crappy as he was because of a line mate, they should take the "C" away from him. Personally, I don't think any of Condon's issues with Cammy. Cammy didn't force Condon to carry the puck into traffic and turn it over, etc...

Look at Condon's body of work while a Gopher. He has a history of disappearing from a production standpoint for stretches.

Cammy isn't suited to play a bottom 6 role, and as a true freshman I don't think he is doing that bad. Look at his numbers and compare them to other true freshmen around college hockey.

Going from USHL to College hockey is a big step. Especially for a smaller player. Look at Grimaldi at UND. He didn't light it up right away, and he wasn't much more physical than Cammarata.

Gotta let the kid develop, and they have to put him in the best situations to do that. Sitting in the press box or playing a bottom 6 role doesn't help him or the team long-term.

poisondart
01-20-2014, 09:59 AM
I agree that it would be pointless to play the kid in a checking role but when you see his line mates chucking water bottles and shaking their heads it makes you wonder. If you can't see his limitations then you're just not looking. How long does the team wait?
Comparing him to Grimaldi is silly, their games are night and day different.

As far as your opinion on Condon, while I don't agree with letting your line mates effect your play I'm pretty sure there are a number of gophs who would prefer not to play with Cammy. Do you honestly believe he's a good fit where he is now? Fasching and Rau want to work down low and grind, their skill sets allow them to be very good in traffic and along the wall, these are qualities Taylor is lacking. I think Taylor possesses a skill set unlike any kid I've watched, time will tell if it translates into a quality college player.

5mn_Major
01-20-2014, 10:21 AM
That was a great game on Saturday. For those who question why some folks (myself included) don't much care for the outdoor fad, just look at the two games this weekend.

After the Friday game, that 'don't care' feeling has got to be unanimous. Saturday showed the guys might be turning the corner.

There are some signs that Cammy is a modest liability for a line. But if you look at the other five players he has a tough load to match up. Indeed, he's in learning mode. It may take him into next year to get there.

mnstate0fhockey
01-20-2014, 10:23 AM
I agree that it would be pointless to play the kid in a checking role but when you see his line mates chucking water bottles and shaking their heads it makes you wonder. If you can't see his limitations then you're just not looking. How long does the team wait?
Comparing him to Grimaldi is silly, their games are night and day different.

As far as your opinion on Condon, while I don't agree with letting your line mates effect your play I'm pretty sure there are a number of gophs who would prefer not to play with Cammy. Do you honestly believe he's a good fit where he is now? Fasching and Rau want to work down low and grind, their skill sets allow them to be very good in traffic and along the wall, these are qualities Taylor is lacking. I think Taylor possesses a skill set unlike any kid I've watched, time will tell if it translates into a quality college player.

Gotta say, I haven't seen the type of behavior from his line mates that you are describing. Just haven't seen it.....At all.

I haven't been shy about recognizing the weaknesses in Cammy's game. In fact, I think I mentioned that his lack of physical play will be what holds him back from taking the next step to play in the NHL. I'm pretty sure he knows this too. Which isn't all negative because it also means he'll be a 3-4 year player in college.

That said, I'm also not obtuse enough to completely discount the strengths the kid brings to the team. You cannot teach the vision and hockey sense that the kid has. I've seen on numerous occasions him make passes that most players at this level won't make.

Like I said before, he's a true freshman. And considering the fact that, as a true freshman, he's put up 5-9-14 (for reference, Hudson Fasching has put up 6-11-17), I think some of the criticism is completely over-the-top.

How long do we wait? Beyond this season. He is a developing player with strengths and weaknesses like every other young player that plays college hockey. And while he has weaknesses he will need to work on, he is producing.

Give the kid a few years in the weight room and a few years to mature as a player. He's a dynamic talent that for the first time in his career has to work thru some adversity. The worst thing you can do is put him in a position that hampers that development.

Yes, I do think he is a good fit where he is now. Why? Because he would be a HORRIBLE fit in a bottom 6 role and it would be a horrible idea to take him out and not let him develop. Again, the kid is on pace for 30 pts as a freshman. Think about that for a minute.

mnstate0fhockey
01-20-2014, 10:45 AM
I think some of the struggles that Cammy has had this season are similar to the struggles that Granlund had with the Wild in his rookie season. I am sure the coaching staff is working with him on how to be stronger on the puck and how to create more space for himself. However, a lot of that is stuff that he will also need to work on in the weight room and on the ice over the summer. With the focus and work ethic that kid has, I have no doubts that he will improve in these areas.

poisondart
01-20-2014, 11:00 AM
I have nothing against the kid but is a top 6 spot betrothed to him? 5 point in 14 games in a top 6 role is producing? Maybe I had the luxury of watching him many times last year and am not surprised by the adjustments he needs to make. Can he or will he? I hope so but he has never had to in the past. Rather than share it here I'd much rather send you a PM and share somethings that might make you see things differently. If Marshall can watch a game from the press box I would think so could anybody else.

mnstate0fhockey
01-20-2014, 11:13 AM
I have nothing against the kid but is a top 6 spot betrothed to him? 5 point in 14 games in a top 6 role is producing? Maybe I had the luxury of watching him many times last year and am not surprised by the adjustments he needs to make. Can he or will he? I hope so but he has never had to in the past. Rather than share it here I'd much rather send you a PM and share somethings that might make you see things differently. If Marshall can watch a game from the press box I would think so could anybody else.

I don't think a top 6 spot is "betrothed" to him, but let's take a look at our options.

We can move him to a bottom 6 role and move someone like Connor Reilly up. First of all, I think it would hurt the team to have Cammy play in that type of role, and it would hurt his development. He'd be like a fish out of water in that type of role. And are we really sure Connor Reilly would have better than 14 points playing in the Top 6? This team has lost TWO games and is SECOND in scoring in the NCAA despite playing 8 freshmen. Again, let that sink in then tell me why we need to move him out of the lineup.

We could also sit Cammy and move Reilly up and replace his bottom 6 spot with a guy like Isackson or Michaelson. Again, where are we a whole lot better doing this? Maybe Reilly produces a little more in the Top 6, but I think you then lose the production he gave you in the bottom 6. Neither Isackson or Michaelson would have 14 points this season regardless of where they play. And, Cammy doesn't get time to develop.

Cammy has things to work on like all freshmen do (especially true freshmen), but not playing him and letting him work thru that adversity would be a big mistake. And playing him on a lower line in a role he isn't suited to play would be a bigger mistake.

mnstate0fhockey
01-20-2014, 11:18 AM

If you want to send me a personal note, you can email me <a href="http://www.mnhockeycentral.com/feedback">here</a>. Understand and appreciate that you don't want to say everything publicly.

SanTropez
01-20-2014, 03:35 PM
We have 2 losses and 17 fricken wins, keep the lines the same please.

That is all. :)

Slap Shot
01-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Why not sit Cammy one night just to see what happens? Replace him on the 2nd with Vinnie or Gabe...

Mostly facetious...

poisondart
01-20-2014, 05:20 PM
We have 2 losses and 17 fricken wins, keep the lines the same please.

That is all. :)

Good call! You'll here no more from me on the subject as long as the team keeps winning.