X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Wrote this in response to all of the worrying I have heard lately about the size of our roster. Keep in mind, my intent in the article isn't to suggest that this team is likely to win a National Championship this season (they don't have the experience....yet), but instead to illustrate that there is a method to the madness with recruiting smaller guys.

Gopher Hockey: How much does size matter in today's NCAA?

As always, comments, feedback, and even criticism is welcome.
    I skimmed through but I liked the list of the last seven years of natl champions. UMD and BC are the first two teams that cam to mind when I read your post.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
      I skimmed through but I liked the list of the last seven years of natl champions. UMD and BC are the first two teams that cam to mind when I read your post.
      Thanks for reading
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIWS...yer_detailpage

Gameday!

Let's go Gophers!

Comment

Thanks for reading
          Didn't even realize they talked about this topic briefly on Judd and Duaby this morning with Condon.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Didn't even realize they talked about this topic briefly on Judd and Duaby this morning with Condon.
            Yeah. Been hearing talk about it a lot lately. It's an interesting discussion. Recruiting smaller guys seems counter-intuitive, but I think there is a lot of merit in the strategy as long as you get really highly skilled guys.

Comment

Yeah. Been hearing talk about it a lot lately. It's an interesting discussion. Recruiting smaller guys seems counter-intuitive, but I think there is a lot of merit in the strategy as long as you get really highly skilled guys.
              Yep. The key is getting these smaller high skilled guys to stay through their junior and senior seasons, if they can do that this team will be very good. May be a few "growing" pains early this year though.
              Originally posted by CavalryNate
              Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                Yep. The key is getting these smaller high skilled guys to stay through their junior and senior seasons, if they can do that this team will be very good. May be a few "growing" pains early this year though.
                Agree whole-heartedly. Will probably see some inconsistency this year, especially early on.

Comment

Agree whole-heartedly. Will probably see some inconsistency this year, especially early on.
                  It's kind of scary when You look at all the non-conference games to start the year. Hopefully a slow start doesn't cost the Gophers in regards to PWR.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

It's kind of scary when You look at all the non-conference games to start the year. Hopefully a slow start doesn't cost the Gophers in regards to PWR.
                    Yeah, that's the part of the schedule that worries me the most. But seeing Michigan beat Boston college gives me some solace. I think sometimes we get so focused on our own team and tend not to realize that all teams are going thru some transitions at the beginning of the season. If the gophers can stay above .500 thru the first third of the season and win some of the big games on their schedule, I think they will be alright. The second half of our schedule is setup to make a nice little run if this team can gel.

Comment

Well, they could lose to UNH I suppose. They should be 3-1 or 4-0 going into BC. BC losses and Notre Dame losses won't hurt much. They're at home for Mankato and UMD and should be able to at minimum split those 4 but I'll go out on a limb and say 3-1 there as well.

So, that's 6-6 , or 5-7 worst case scenario with losses against teams that shouldn't effect the PWR much. I'll take it. As long as they improve as the season progresses. What drives me crazy is every once in a while they'll have a team that just doesn't seem to get any better.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        Well, they could lose to UNH I suppose. They should be 3-1 or 4-0 going into BC. BC losses and Notre Dame losses won't hurt much. They're at home for Mankato and UMD and should be able to at minimum split those 4 but I'll go out on a limb and say 3-1 there as well.

So, that's 6-6 , or 5-7 worst case scenario with losses against teams that shouldn't effect the PWR much. I'll take it. As long as they improve as the season progresses. What drives me crazy is every once in a while they'll have a team that just doesn't seem to get any better.
                        I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if we are swept in any of of these three series: BC, Notre Dame, Mankato. And it wouldn't be the end of the world if we did get swept in one IMO. One of those years where building chemistry and filling roles is going to be a process.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          Tempered expectations here as well, but I'm very optimistic for what the future holds.

Our Gophers lost four of their top five scorers early to the pros, plus a solid defenseman. These five early departures accounted for 155 points, more than 40% of the team's scoring. Is there any other team that even comes close?
                          Any updates on the early departures AHL/ECHL seasons thus far?

Comment

Nice win tonight, they really moved their feet and were up and down the ice for most of the game.

Was great to see some freshman get their first goals too.
                            Originally posted by CavalryNate
                            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post

Our Gophers lost four of their top five scorers early to the pros, plus a solid defenseman. These five early departures accounted for 155 points, more than 40% of the team's scoring. Is there any other team that even comes close?

Yes, Nodak being just one of them... plus you have one of the best (if not the best) recruiting classes. Quit sandbagging.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                                Yes, Nodak being just one of them... plus you have one of the best (if not the best) recruiting classes. Quit sandbagging.
                                No doubt the Gophers' freshman class is one of the best in the nation...but my question was, when you look at missing point production from 2012-13, which other team in all of D1 lost as much to early pro-signing?
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X