This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    Did you break the Fib and Tib? That's a quick healing turnaround bro! I have no idea how extensive Jake's fracture is. As you mentioned healing times tend to vary based upon the pattern and location of the fracture and there are always risks and benefits with any treatment option. But the mean healing time is usually about 12 weeks (low energy fracture: 10-13 weeks; high energy fracture: 13-20 weeks and that's just fractural union not recovery time) and then often a couple more weeks before 100% weight can be put on the leg. I feel bad for Jake, it's going to take a lot of work on his part to return to game form. Thankfully I never broke a leg in hockey, but lots of painful ankle stuff like Serratore.

EDIT:

Tweets:

Mike Eidelbes ‏@INCH
    Per Don Lucia, Parenteau broke his leg last night. He’ll have surgery in Mpls Monday. Docs will determine time on shelf—could be 8 wks.

Jake Parenteau @jacobjames6
    Just want to say thanks to my family, friends, teammates and fans for all the support! Means a lot! #PrideOnIce
    I broke my Tibia and Fibula by my ankle and my Tibia up by my knee. All the same injury. Had pins placed by my ankle, and a cast well above my knee. Had the cast removed at about 8 weeks and was playing again shortly after. I'm guessing it will take a bit longer for Jake to get full strength back in that leg though. I wasn't playing at the level of competition he is

Oddly, I broke my collar bone in college and that seemed to take much longer to heal. Didn't have surgery and only had a sling. Didn't feel totally healed for quite some time.

I feel bad for Jake too. Kid is all heart though and I am hoping he works his way back this year.

Question I have is, if they don't think he's able to make it back, do they bring Steven Johnson in next semester? He's graduated high school, so he could come in if necessary.
    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 12-09-2013, 07:36 AM.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Re: Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

Definitely a shame for Jake to get hurt like this, hoping he makes a full recovery.

On the plus side, if he's out for the 8 weeks, with the month off before play resumes, that's half of his recovery time right there. Things will be tight until the players get back from WJC, but after that, should be OK for a few weeks until Jake makes it back.

Comment

Its probably a right call that they won't be moving anyone back. They'll still have 6. Even so, I have to imagine that someone will be practicing skating backwards some...yet another injury on the blue line may mean the need for a forward to move back.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Its probably a right call that they won't be moving anyone back. They'll still have 6. Even so, I have to imagine that someone will be practicing skating backwards some...yet another injury on the blue line may mean the need for a forward to move back.
          Kind of ironic how last year we had a surplus of defensemen to the point of moving a couple of them up to play forward, and if I recall correctly besides Holl Jake played a fair amount up there as well. But now the situation is reversed and we are asking which of the forwards, if necessary, could be called upon to move back to the blue line.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve_MN View Post
            Definitely a shame for Jake to get hurt like this, hoping he makes a full recovery.

On the plus side, if he's out for the 8 weeks, with the month off before play resumes, that's half of his recovery time right there. Things will be tight until the players get back from WJC, but after that, should be OK for a few weeks until Jake makes it back.
            I agree Steve. It is great timing (hesitant to use the word great with anything involving an injury) that this happened right before a month break. I also agree that we should be able to get by if it is only a month he'll be out, but it would be risky. If another defender should go down, or if Jake has a setback, we won't be able to bring anyone else in if we don't do it right at the start of the semester. That's why I am wondering if it wouldn't smart to bring Steven Johnson in early.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
              Question I have is, if they don't think he's able to make it back, do they bring Steven Johnson in next semester? He's graduated high school, so he could come in if necessary.
              I'd be very surprised to see that happen. Not sure if it's even possible to enroll Johnson in classes at this point. The National Letter of Intent (NLI) is for one academic year in exchange for the institution awarding financial aid for one academic year. The student-athlete scholarship package is based upon course enrollment and the enrollment deadline for Spring 2014 has already passed. I'm sure the Omaha Lancers would not react favorably to a sudden midseason departure from their roster either.

With the skill level we have on D this season I think we'll be ok even if Jake can't make it back.
              Last edited by HarleyMC; 12-09-2013, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Yeah...even if it were the right thing to do, I have to believe bringing in Johnson is not an option. It just never happens.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                  Well Reilly had a fumble that gave MSU a goal that was completely his fault. Brodzinki fumbled a couple passes and took a bad angle. A couple other D had positioning errors last night. What are the Marshall haters on GPL going to talk about with no Marshall to rip last night. Reilly's coughing up the puck was worse than anything I've seen from Marshall this year.

(Just to be clear, I see all those mis-haps as things that are going to happen and am not saying those D played poorly. Just pointing out how people each season seem to pick a D goat and look for any little error they make while overlooking the rest of their play, meanwhile writing off errors other D make. And I'm also sorry to air this on here and not GPL, but I can't access this site at work, and fear if I post on GPL, I won't be able to look at that at work either.)

Looks like a good thing Brodzinski isn't being mentioned for Juniors this year. With Skjei gone, that leaves them with 5 now. Another injured D would be devastating. So since I am too lazy too look, can someone tell me how many games US Juniors players will miss? Hope Parenteau is back this year.
                  I posted on GPL Friday night that M. Reilly had channeled his inner Ben Marshall. I thought he played very poorly on Friday but bounced back quite well on Saturday. I've been a big Marshall basher, but I don't think other guys are above criticism.

-Condon has looked lackluster for the better part of this year. As a captain, I think he really needs to kick it into gear. I will say I thought he looked like he was back to his usual, speedy self this weekend though, just not producing points and goals at the clip most would like to see out of a senior. Previously he had just looked slow so I'm thinking he may have been sick or something...?
                  -Warning has been pretty average and, I'd say, verging on bad since his hot start. Just making bad decisions with the puck.

-Cammy was the best player on the ice on Friday night.
                  "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                    I'd be very surprised to see that happen. Not sure if it's even possible to enroll Johnson in classes at this point. The National Letter of Intent (NLI) is for one academic year in exchange for the institution awarding financial aid for one academic year. The student-athlete scholarship package is based upon course enrollment and the enrollment deadline for Spring 2014 has already passed. I'm sure the Omaha Lancers would not react favorably to a sudden midseason departure from their roster either.

With the skill level we have on D this season I think we'll be ok even if Jake can't make it back.
                    I checked around, and I am not 100% positive, but believe it is possible.

No doubt we'll be ok if Jake can't make it back, but it would put us in bad spot if another defender were to get hurt and miss significant time or get hurt at the end of the season and leave us with 5 defenders in the post season.

Biggest drawback I can think of for bringing Johnson in early is it would burn some of his eligibility for the future.

Not saying they should do it, but it is something worth considering if they don't think Jake will be back this season.
                    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 12-09-2013, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                      I posted on GPL Friday night that M. Reilly had channeled his inner Ben Marshall. I thought he played very poorly on Friday but bounced back quite well on Saturday. I've been a big Marshall basher, but I don't think other guys are above criticism.

-Condon has looked lackluster for the better part of this year. As a captain, I think he really needs to kick it into gear. I will say I thought he looked like he was back to his usual, speedy self this weekend though, just not producing points and goals at the clip most would like to see out of a senior. Previously he had just looked slow so I'm thinking he may have been sick or something...?
                      -Warning has been pretty average and, I'd say, verging on bad since his hot start. Just making bad decisions with the puck.

Good observations all around Wes. Agree with everything: Condon, Warning, Cammarata, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                        Good observations all around Wes. Agree with everything: Condon, Warning, Cammarata, etc...
                        Thanks. I was trying to show Koho that Marshall isn't the only player I am critical of.

Hoping for a good holiday break to get the boys and getting some guys healthy for a strong second half, Serratore and Vinni specifically.
                        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post

IMO our players are not 'bad' but rather fan expectations get too high based on stellar plays or scoring streaks that are very difficult to maintain. This is evident by the fact that our team is still at the top of the national rankings and our top handful of players are being criticized. In general, defensemen just get waay too many criticisms...just look at the point load our gopher D carry vs. defensemen on any other team. Marshall has had a few lapses but has been solid overall...and M Reilly has been outstanding. My opinion.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

IMO our players are not 'bad' but rather fan expectations get too high based on stellar plays or scoring streaks that are very difficult to maintain. This is evident by the fact that our team is still at the top of the national rankings and our top handful of players are being criticized. In general, defensemen just get waay too many criticisms...just look at the point load our gopher D carry vs. defensemen on any other team. Marshall has had a few lapses but has been solid overall...and M Reilly has been outstanding. My opinion.
                            And along the same line, the analysis of Gopher Wes, in my opinion, is not up to the standard I expect of a Gopher fan. No where near enough tArrogance and way too much Chicken Little the sky is falling. I think Lucia should bench him.
                            "...and that only took six seconds!"

Comment

This is evident by the fact that our team is still at the top of the national rankings...
                              No longer at the very top:

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-mens-poll/
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                Now we'll see if Wes starts criticizing a particular SCSU defenseman.
                                "...and that only took six seconds!"

Comment

Working...
                                X