Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

Originally posted by Koho View Post
    I didn't even mention the forwards who also mis-handled pucks (as every college player does at times).
    Your not alone. Its kind of sad how typically the defensemen bear the brunt of team criticism. Forwards have to really stink up the bed in order to get the level of criticism that a good defenseman who makes turnovers gets. Holy Hannah was Chris Harrington maligned on these boards...and the only defensemen to score more than Chris were Goligoski, Ballard and P Martin. Although Reilly's turnover led to the goal, it happens every game...his was a case where it was very obvious.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Just thought of this. If Parenteau isn't back by the Mariucci Classic, the Gophers will also be without Skjei as he will be playing in the WJC. That will leave the Gophers with 5 defensemen for the Classic: Reilly, Marshall, Holl, Brodzinski, and Bischoff. Any of the forwards have experience playing defense?
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
        Just thought of this. If Parenteau isn't back by the Mariucci Classic, the Gophers will also be without Skjei as he will be playing in the WJC. That will leave the Gophers with 5 defensemen for the Classic: Reilly, Marshall, Holl, Brodzinski, and Bischoff. Any of the forwards have experience playing defense?
        Off the top of my head none played regularly from HS on, but I could see perhaps Serratore, Ambroz or Michaelson back there, maybe even C. Reilly. That could be a total crap observation and free free to shoot holes in it, but they have time to skate someone there in practice if they think it will be necessary for 1 or 2 games.

Comment

Look for the 1-2-2 system during the classic if that is the case.
          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Any of the forwards have experience playing defense?
            The same thought crossed my mind, and I don't know the answer. One can safely presume that Lucia and Guentzel are mulling this over also. The good news I guess is they have plenty of time to prepare...
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
              Look for the 1-2-2 system during the classic if that is the case.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts on the questions guys. Will be interesting to see what they do.

Comment

Serratore seems the most likely to me, but I'm no coach.
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

... except Serratore will be out for 2 months.

Maybe Lucia will tell Skjei sorry you have to stay behind and play for the Gophers.

Comment

• Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                      Whoops. Boyd? C. Reilly might make a good partner for his brother.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

My guess is that they will just roll 5 D for those two games and work the extra player into the 3rd and 4th lines.
                        I'm sure they will have a forward or two take some reps in practice, but I don't see a forward taking a regular shift at D unless there is another injury. It's only two games.

Comment

• Originally posted by SanTropez View Post

Maybe Lucia will tell Skjei sorry you have to stay behind and play for the Gophers.
                          Is Serratore really out two months? Was there a break or ligament damage involved? I thought it was just a sprain? I know sprains (especially high ankle ones) can have a longer recovery time than you'd think, but I am surprised he'll be out a few months.

Comment

As I suspected, when it was announced Jake was undergoing an x ray NOT an MRI, he broke his leg and will have surgery Monday in Minneapolis. That's most likely 3-4 months recovery time before he's anywhere near ready to practice. The report is he's out indefinitely. A lot depends on the extent of the break and healing time, but my guess is Jake's season could be over. Even if he came back around playoff time, he would need significant ice time to get his conditioning up to playoff game pace. Jake was having a good season, so I'm sure it's very disappointing and I wish him the best in his recovery...he'll be missed. He typically doesn't log a lot of SOG or pts., but he's been a fearless, dependable and physical defender this season on the backline and is second in goal differential with a +13 (M. Reilly/+14).

I'd be surprised to see any forwards moving back to D for the MC despite the depletion at D during the WJC. I think their conditioning will be strong enough to rotate 5 D for only 2 games.

Serratore had an MRI last Wednesday that indicated a connective tissue sprain (probably Grade II), the most common being an inversion sprain to the medial or lateral ligament in the ankle area due to a partial tear. Lucia was quoted as hoping Serratore will be back for the MC against Colgate (Jan. 3-4), so I would assume the MRI indicated a partial inversion sprain.

Comment

• Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                              As I suspected, when it was announced Jake was undergoing an x ray NOT an MRI, he broke his leg and will have surgery Monday in Minneapolis. That's most likely 3-4 months recovery time before he's anywhere near ready to practice. The report is he's out indefinitely. A lot depends on the extent of the break and healing time, but my guess is Jake's season could be over. Even if he came back around playoff time, he would need significant ice time to get his conditioning up to playoff game pace. Jake was having a good season, so I'm sure it's very disappointing and I wish him the best in his recovery...he'll be missed. He typically doesn't log a lot of SOG or pts., but he's been a fearless, dependable and physical defender this season on the backline and is second in goal differential with a +13 (M. Reilly/+14).

I'd be surprised to see any forwards moving back to D for the MC despite the depletion at D during the WJC. I think their conditioning will be strong enough to rotate 5 D for only 2 games.

Serratore had an MRI last Wednesday that indicated a connective tissue sprain (probably Grade II), the most common being an inversion sprain to the medial or lateral ligament in the ankle area due to a partial tear. Lucia was quoted as hoping Serratore will be back for the MC against Colgate (Jan. 3-4), so I would assume the MRI indicated a partial inversion sprain.
                              Like you said, depends on how bad the break was. Surgery will actually speed up his recovery time. I broke my leg in two places in high school and was cleared to compete in athletics in two months. I wouldn't write off his season quite yet.

Thanks for the info on Serratore Harley, I was worried he'd be out for an extended period of time too.

I agree on your take regarding skating 5 defenders during the Classic. Thankfully it will only be for two games.
                              Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 12-08-2013, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Like you said, depends on how bad the break was. Surgery will actually speed up his recovery time. I broke my leg in two places in high school and was cleared to compete in athletics in two months. I wouldn't write off his season quite yet.

Thanks for the info on Serratore Harley, I was worried he'd be out for an extended period of time too.

I agree on your take regarding skating 5 defenders during the Classic. Thankfully it will only be for two games.
                                Did you break the Fib and Tib? That's a quick healing turnaround bro! I have no idea how extensive Jake's fracture is. As you mentioned healing times tend to vary based upon the pattern and location of the fracture and there are always risks and benefits with any treatment option. But the mean healing time is usually about 12 weeks (low energy fracture: 10-13 weeks; high energy fracture: 13-20 weeks and that's just fractural union not recovery time) and then often a couple more weeks before 100% weight can be put on the leg. I feel bad for Jake, it's going to take a lot of work on his part to return to game form. Thankfully I never broke a leg in hockey, but lots of painful ankle stuff like Serratore.

EDIT:

Tweets:

Mike Eidelbes ‏@INCH
                                Per Don Lucia, Parenteau broke his leg last night. He’ll have surgery in Mpls Monday. Docs will determine time on shelf—could be 8 wks.

Jake Parenteau @jacobjames6
                                Just want to say thanks to my family, friends, teammates and fans for all the support! Means a lot! #PrideOnIce
                                Last edited by HarleyMC; 12-09-2013, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X