Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

Originally posted by Steve_MN View Post
    As long as the win/loss pattern continues, I think we'll be happy with next weekend
    Ditto!
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Highlights. R 'n fk'n R...

Comment

Aside from the PP being bothersome, my other complaint is the Gophers mess around way too much in their own end. To compound that it seems like that is in their heads and therefore are so anxious to get the puck out that they ice it when a simple chip shot or skating the puck out would have prevented a face-off in their own zone without a line change. Yeah, I suppose that's better than a TO in the defensive zone, but puck play in their own end needs improvement across the board.

Kloos, Fasching, Skjei, M. Reilly, Brodzinski, Cammy (obviously not this weekend) and now Ambroz are bright spots among a list of others. What stands out though is the scoring depth and that despite criticisms of Marshall and maybe a few others that the s**t list on a weekly basis has been shorter from series to series than in any season of recent memory.

And my homer comment (although it seems it is not alone) is a shout out to Holl. For a kid that imho quickly regressed confidence wise early in his tenure, he followed up a pretty gutsy year playing F to playing the best D of his career even if his shots so rarely find their way to the net.

Congrats on the first ever B1G hockey sweep!!

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          Aside from the PP being bothersome, my other complaint is the Gophers mess around way too much in their own end. To compound that it seems like that is in their heads and therefore are so anxious to get the puck out that they ice it when a simple chip shot or skating the puck out would have prevented a face-off in their own zone without a line change. Yeah, I suppose that's better than a TO in the defensive zone, but puck play in their own end needs improvement across the board.

Kloos, Fasching, Skjei, M. Reilly, Brodzinski, Cammy (obviously not this weekend) and now Ambroz are bright spots among a list of others. What stands out though is the scoring depth and that despite criticisms of Marshall and maybe a few others that the s**t list on a weekly basis has been shorter from series to series than in any season of recent memory.

And my homer comment (although it seems it is not alone) is a shout out to Holl. For a kid that imho quickly regressed confidence wise early in his tenure, he followed up a pretty gutsy year playing F to playing the best D of his career even if his shots so rarely find their way to the net.

Congrats on the first ever B1G hockey sweep!!
          True...it's been interesting seeing Holl evolve into a mature, smart, and consistent contributor. He's really elevated his game and has been solid at D all season. Marshall seems to be in a bit of a funk right now...he's made some costly errors (none more costly than the Yael season ending one though) and he's been in the box nearly twice as much as any other player (27 PIM) already surpassing his 2012-13 PIM total. I noticed tDon started Brodzinski on the PP tonight in place of Marshall whereas last season Ben QB'd it quite well. Despite his occasional screw up, I like the fact that he's committed to sacrifice his body to get in front of stingers, blocking more shots than any other Gopher player (Marshall/21, Holl/20). Marshall is a smart hockey player and I think he'll get it worked out and show marked improvement in the second half.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
            True...it's been interesting seeing Holl evolve into a mature, smart, and consistent contributor. He's really elevated his game and has been solid at D all season. Marshall seems to be in a bit of a funk right now...he's made some costly errors (none more costly than the Yael season ending one though) and he's been in the box nearly twice as much as any other player (27 PIM) already surpassing his 2012-13 PIM total. I noticed tDon started Brodzinski on the PP tonight in place of Marshall whereas last season Ben QB'd it quite well. Despite his occasional screw up, I like the fact that he's committed to sacrifice his body to get in front of stingers, blocking more shots than any other Gopher player (Marshall/21, Holl/20). Marshall is a smart hockey player and I think he'll get it worked out and show marked improvement in the second half.
            I feel Marshall is getting a bad rap too. He does make a couple mistakes, but he he does an awful lot, including things that aren't as obvious as mistakes. He is usually very aggressive back-checking in the corners and more often than not comes away with the puck. And you can't hang losing the puck behind the net against Yael on him. It was clear the puck stuck in a wet spot. Period shouldn't have started in a playoff game before the ice is frozen.

Brodzinski has been good most of the year, but I noticed some miscues by him this weekend. A couple rushed shots into Badger legs, a couple times stepping up when he should have backed up, etc. Not horrible, and all the D seem to be doing some of these. Just seemed like he had more than I've seen from him to this point. Still, as a freshman, I think he and Bisch are proving to be pretty smart players who have adjusted quickly. (Any word if part of the reason for sitting Bisch was to let things heal better, or if it was just his turn? Didn't see anything in his play to warrant it.)

And while Reilly has been cranking up the points, as most expected, Skjei seems to also be picking it up pretty well. He has become very effective defensively. He missed one assignment I remember, but seems like a lot of times he goes into the boards with two opponents and comes out with the puck, then makes a great pass.

Comment

Boyd is another one people like to be critical of. He generated one of the goals, and he had like 3 'Holy Chit' moves this weekend. (More often like one every three weeks.) He is a hard worker. There is no one on this team I am completely down on.

And I hate to harp on Marshall being a target, but if a guy falls down, it happens and isn't something they have control over. (I realize the post elsewhere didn't say one way or another if he was blaming Marshall, but I remember him being blamed on a ND goal when the pass to the point was behind him and he seemed to catch an edge as he was skating backward so stumbled as he reached back, giving the ND player a break away.

I feel like there are a lot of people who judge only on the obvious things (guy loses puck or skates through 4 other guys to set up a goal) and don't always take into account all the less obvious things (hitting guys on breakouts versus dumping, coming away from boards with puck, challenging odd man rushes and tying up loose players.)

So with that in mind, how do people rank these Defender (ignore offensive ability - defensive ability only - when other team has the puck) this year: Reilly. Marshall, Skjei?

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                Boyd is another one people like to be critical of. He generated one of the goals, and he had like 3 'Holy Chit' moves this weekend. (More often like one every three weeks.) He is a hard worker. There is no one on this team I am completely down on.

And I hate to harp on Marshall being a target, but if a guy falls down, it happens and isn't something they have control over. (I realize the post elsewhere didn't say one way or another if he was blaming Marshall, but I remember him being blamed on a ND goal when the pass to the point was behind him and he seemed to catch an edge as he was skating backward so stumbled as he reached back, giving the ND player a break away.

I feel like there are a lot of people who judge only on the obvious things (guy loses puck or skates through 4 other guys to set up a goal) and don't always take into account all the less obvious things (hitting guys on breakouts versus dumping, coming away from boards with puck, challenging odd man rushes and tying up loose players.)

So with that in mind, how do people rank these Defender (ignore offensive ability - defensive ability only - when other team has the puck) this year: Reilly. Marshall, Skjei?
                That's easy.
                1. Skjei
                2. Marshall
                3. Reilly

I agree with pretty much everything in your post. Marshall makes some simple, mental mistakes but you can't overlook all the great stuff he does as well.

I've seen people compare Marshall to Fairchild and Harrington. I don't think either of those comparisons are legitimate. Marshall is better defensively than either of those guys were.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post

It was I who mentioned Marshall falling and it being the result of a goal. I didn't bring it up to harp on Marshall, I brought it up to demonstrate that we really weren't out played as much as was being suggested by some here after last night's game. Warning made a bad pass that led to a goal, Marshall fell down while trying to control a puck in the defensive zone that led to more defensive zone time and a bad line change.

I think Marshall's fall was far from being an obvious cause for the goal that was scored, but it was clearly the catalyst. It led to extended time in the defensive zone, which led to tired players, which led to a bad line change. Not laying fault on Marshall (as I said these things happen), but it wasn't obvious analysis. I remember watching him fail to get the puck up the ice and out of our zone and kept thinking to myself as I watched us work to get posession back, "that's going to cost us". Sure enough, we got the puck to center ice, players were tired and changed prematurely, and the Badgers capitalized off the bad line change.

I'd say the Gophers were outplayed in the first, both teams carried stretches of the second, and the Gophers carried play a majority of the third.

In fact, the biggest issue I had with Saturday's game had nothing to do with Marshall or Boyd. It was the lack of forecheck early on in the game and I think the Boyd, Ambroz, Serratore line actually turned that around with their physical play.
                  Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 12-01-2013, 03:28 PM.
                  @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                  On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                  High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                    That's easy.
                    1. Skjei
                    2. Marshall
                    3. Reilly

I agree with pretty much everything in your post. Marshall makes some simple, mental mistakes but you can't overlook all the great stuff he does as well.

I've seen people compare Marshall to Fairchild and Harrington. I don't think either of those comparisons are legitimate. Marshall is better defensively than either of those guys were.
                    I read that on GPL too. Comparing Marshall to Fairchild is a stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                      I read that on GPL too. Comparing Marshall to Fairchild is a stretch.
                      Just seems like certain posters just have to have a D to ***** about each year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
                        Just seems like certain posters just have to have a D to ***** about each year.
                        Yeah, I don't get that either.

Comment

I see Mike Eaves is complaining about the disparity in penalties between the teams this weekend.

He does know that officials aren't required to keep that even, right? Perhaps he should get in line behind Wild fans who have watched their team for long stretches not do enough to draw penalties.

Or perhaps Eaves should look at the style of play he teaches and realize it's more conducive to getting called for obstruction (a clear point of emphasis for officials this season) than the style Minnesota plays.

Either way, his whining is becoming embarassing.

Comment

The Gophers received two extra curricular penalties this weekend that were pure garbage, one to Fasching on Fri and to Ambroz on Saturday. Maybe Eaves is a closet Whioux fan.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                              I see Mike Eaves is complaining about the disparity in penalties between the teams this weekend.

He does know that officials aren't required to keep that even, right? Perhaps he should get in line behind Wild fans who have watched their team for long stretches not do enough to draw penalties.
                              I think it is sort of a natural tendency for people to assume that if there is any disparity, the refs aren't doing their job properly. As if it has to be even (or close to it) for the game to be called correctly. But the reality is a lot of penalties are due to guys not moving their feet well and that really isn't a huge problem for the Gophers.
                              University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                                I think it is sort of a natural tendency for people to assume that if there is any disparity, the refs aren't doing their job properly. As if it has to be even (or close to it) for the game to be called correctly. But the reality is a lot of penalties are due to guys not moving their feet well and that really isn't a huge problem for the Gophers.
                                Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                                X