PDA

View Full Version : Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

goldy_331
10-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Just 2 days left to start the real season! Can't wait!

Steve_MN
10-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Just 2 days left to start the real season! Can't wait!
I am SO looking forward to Friday.

Slap Shot
10-09-2013, 09:29 PM
I have tempered expectations, but given they are my favorite sports program (college or pro) this weekend cannot come soon enough.

D2D
10-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Tempered expectations here as well, but I'm very optimistic for what the future holds.

Our Gophers lost four of their top five scorers early to the pros, plus a solid defenseman. These five early departures accounted for 155 points, more than 40% of the team's scoring. Is there any other team that even comes close?

burd
10-11-2013, 05:48 AM
Well, after all the tired, not-that-funny insults I've given the gophers and their fans over the years, I have to say I will sadly miss having the UND/UMinn games to look forward to this year. Both UM and UW look to be very strong, and it would have been a pleasure to have both on UND's schedule.

But a brand new season is about to begin today, and it's like being 18 again: Anything is possible and it's all out there for the taking. Good luck this season and, more than anything, have fun with it.

D2D
10-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Minnetonka hockey product Steve Johnson commits to Gophers

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/227292261.html

D2D
10-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Big Ten, Gophers both searching for an identity in men's hockey

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/227321791.html

Driftryder
10-11-2013, 10:58 AM
BTN to go will be streaming some Gopher games this year (including tonight's game) for those that have the "correct" provider.

http://www.btn2go.com/btn2go/

johnnypohlfan
10-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Well, after all the tired, not-that-funny insults I've given the gophers and their fans over the years, I have to say I will sadly miss having the UND/UMinn games to look forward to this year. Both UM and UW look to be very strong, and it would have been a pleasure to have both on UND's schedule.

But a brand new season is about to begin today, and it's like being 18 again: Anything is possible and it's all out there for the taking. Good luck this season and, more than anything, have fun with it.

Whatareya, drunk? ;)

In all seriousness, same to you. There was never a weekend throughout the season that I looked forward to more than UM vs. UND. It will be missed.

Good luck to ya, and if both UM and UND make the NCAAs, I'm sure well be seein' ya, as the NCAA seemingly can't resist putting us in the same bracket EVERY GODDAYUM YEAR. :D

mnstate0fhockey
10-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Wrote this in response to all of the worrying I have heard lately about the size of our roster. Keep in mind, my intent in the article isn't to suggest that this team is likely to win a National Championship this season (they don't have the experience....yet), but instead to illustrate that there is a method to the madness with recruiting smaller guys.

<a href="http://www.mnhockeycentral.com/apps/blog/show/33769926-gopher-hockey-how-much-does-size-matter-in-today-s-ncaa-">Gopher Hockey: How much does size matter in today's NCAA?</a>

As always, comments, feedback, and even criticism is welcome.

gopher wes
10-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Wrote this in response to all of the worrying I have heard lately about the size of our roster. Keep in mind, my intent in the article isn't to suggest that this team is likely to win a National Championship this season (they don't have the experience....yet), but instead to illustrate that there is a method to the madness with recruiting smaller guys.

<a href="http://www.mnhockeycentral.com/apps/blog/show/33769926-gopher-hockey-how-much-does-size-matter-in-today-s-ncaa-">Gopher Hockey: How much does size matter in today's NCAA?</a>

As always, comments, feedback, and even criticism is welcome.
I skimmed through but I liked the list of the last seven years of natl champions. UMD and BC are the first two teams that cam to mind when I read your post.

mnstate0fhockey
10-11-2013, 03:05 PM
I skimmed through but I liked the list of the last seven years of natl champions. UMD and BC are the first two teams that cam to mind when I read your post.

Thanks for reading :)

SanTropez
10-11-2013, 03:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIWSkM5UHhM&feature=player_detailpage

Gameday!

Let's go Gophers!

gopher wes
10-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Thanks for reading :)
Didn't even realize they talked about this topic briefly on Judd and Duaby this morning with Condon.

mnstate0fhockey
10-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Didn't even realize they talked about this topic briefly on Judd and Duaby this morning with Condon.

Yeah. Been hearing talk about it a lot lately. It's an interesting discussion. Recruiting smaller guys seems counter-intuitive, but I think there is a lot of merit in the strategy as long as you get really highly skilled guys.

Driftryder
10-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Yeah. Been hearing talk about it a lot lately. It's an interesting discussion. Recruiting smaller guys seems counter-intuitive, but I think there is a lot of merit in the strategy as long as you get really highly skilled guys.

Yep. The key is getting these smaller high skilled guys to stay through their junior and senior seasons, if they can do that this team will be very good. May be a few "growing" pains early this year though.

mnstate0fhockey
10-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Yep. The key is getting these smaller high skilled guys to stay through their junior and senior seasons, if they can do that this team will be very good. May be a few "growing" pains early this year though.

Agree whole-heartedly. Will probably see some inconsistency this year, especially early on.

gopher wes
10-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Agree whole-heartedly. Will probably see some inconsistency this year, especially early on.
It's kind of scary when You look at all the non-conference games to start the year. Hopefully a slow start doesn't cost the Gophers in regards to PWR.

mnstate0fhockey
10-11-2013, 04:18 PM
It's kind of scary when You look at all the non-conference games to start the year. Hopefully a slow start doesn't cost the Gophers in regards to PWR.

Yeah, that's the part of the schedule that worries me the most. But seeing Michigan beat Boston college gives me some solace. I think sometimes we get so focused on our own team and tend not to realize that all teams are going thru some transitions at the beginning of the season. If the gophers can stay above .500 thru the first third of the season and win some of the big games on their schedule, I think they will be alright. The second half of our schedule is setup to make a nice little run if this team can gel.

ScoobyDoo
10-11-2013, 04:20 PM

Well, they could lose to UNH I suppose. They should be 3-1 or 4-0 going into BC. BC losses and Notre Dame losses won't hurt much. They're at home for Mankato and UMD and should be able to at minimum split those 4 but I'll go out on a limb and say 3-1 there as well.

So, that's 6-6 , or 5-7 worst case scenario with losses against teams that shouldn't effect the PWR much. I'll take it. As long as they improve as the season progresses. What drives me crazy is every once in a while they'll have a team that just doesn't seem to get any better.