Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
    I was wondering if Scooby would make a glass update, good to see.

93.1 seems fair, since they haven't really played anyone yet.
    If they haven't played anyone yet, do they deserve #1 in the pohls?

Comment

Just reading responses on GPL about proposed future alterations to Mariucci, which include reducing size of ice sheet. Of the few responses, most just seemed to accept, one even saying they should go down to NHL size ice. Wonder what others think? I love that a skating team like the Gophs plays on Olympic ice and wish it would stay that way. In fact, I think the biggest problem with watching NHL is that the rink is too small for such quick and well trained players. So few goals in NHL are breaks with nice skating and passing plays. Instead a lot of just bombing it from out front with a ton of bodies in front, or else just firing it in front for someone to whack in a rebound. Just not enough time and space for many beautiful plays to develop. I say keep the rink the same and hopefully the rest of hockey will eventually follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
        Just reading responses on GPL about proposed future alterations to Mariucci, which include reducing size of ice sheet. Of the few responses, most just seemed to accept, one even saying they should go down to NHL size ice. Wonder what others think? I love that a skating team like the Gophs plays on Olympic ice and wish it would stay that way. In fact, I think the biggest problem with watching NHL is that the rink is too small for such quick and well trained players. So few goals in NHL are breaks with nice skating and passing plays. Instead a lot of just bombing it from out front with a ton of bodies in front, or else just firing it in front for someone to whack in a rebound. Just not enough time and space for many beautiful plays to develop. I say keep the rink the same and hopefully the rest of hockey will eventually follow.
        Much like the stupid Big 10 conference I gave up on this one. I agree completely but the ship has sailed.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          Much like the stupid Big 10 conference I gave up on this one. I agree completely but the ship has sailed.
          You may be right, but isn't that part of the point of these boards, to ***** about things beyond our control, even after it is way too late?

And on another note, I can't believe Notre Dame cancelled their hockey program and that Northern Michigan left the WCHA!!!!

Comment

I agree with you Koho. I love all the space of the Olympic size rink, the Gophers speed is fun to watch on that size sheet.

I also think the NHL is boring for all the reasons you stated, put them all on an Olympic size rink and watch the game open up a little.

...or go back to 1970's and 1980's size goalie pads.
            Originally posted by CavalryNate
            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
              I also think the NHL is boring for all the reasons you stated, put them all on an Olympic size rink and watch the game open up a little.

...or go back to 1970's and 1980's size goalie pads.
              Or both!

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                Or both!
                Yes. Big ice is essential to open up play IMO, but despite rule changes, so much of goaltending now seems to big just being in the right position with your huge pads, and less often is athleticism a part of the save.

Comment

Going to the NHL (or as close to it as possible) sheet is the right thing to do, and I say that as someone that was happy Mecca was built with the Olympic sheet. Times have changed and the game has left the larger sheet behind in just about every facet and at every level. Sad but true.

I still say ****** the shootout.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Going to the NHL (or as close to it as possible) sheet is the right thing to do, and I say that as someone that was happy Mecca was built with the Olympic sheet. Times have changed and the game has left the larger sheet behind in just about every facet and at every level. Sad but true.

I still say ****** the shootout.
                    This. With the college landscape changing as much as it has in the past few years (esp for powerhouse programs that have many a player leaving for the NHL), going with NHL ice is a good choice.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      This. With the college landscape changing as much as it has in the past few years (esp for powerhouse programs that have many a player leaving for the NHL), going with NHL ice is a good choice.
                      I don't think what the NHL does should dictate what college hockey does. And from the looks of this year's freshman class, I don't think the large sheet has hurt Gopher recruiting. The game is more fun to watch on bigger ice. Period. If there were a way to keep it that way, that is what I would want to see from college up. The NHL talks about shrinking goalie pads a couple inches, about tighter rules, even tossing around the idea of a bigger net (not seriously) to get more scoring. But more scoring by hacking in a puck with 6 bodies crammed in front of the net is only marginally more interesting. Goals set up by great skating, great stickhandling and passing plays are what make the game more interesting, and there are more of those on big ice with how fast the game is. I've always found olympic games (that are actually on the correct size rink) as the most entertaining hockey to watch. And I think having slightly different sized and shaped rinks in college to add to the game, much like fields vary greatly in baseball.

And yes, I hate the shootout. Even the NHL is talking about extending overtime to get more games settled with teams playing hockey.

Comment

I don't think what the NHL does should dictate what college hockey does. And from the looks of this year's freshman class, I don't think the large sheet has hurt Gopher recruiting. The game is more fun to watch on bigger ice. Period. If there were a way to keep it that way, that is what I would want to see from college up. The NHL talks about shrinking goalie pads a couple inches, about tighter rules, even tossing around the idea of a bigger net (not seriously) to get more scoring. But more scoring by hacking in a puck with 6 bodies crammed in front of the net is only marginally more interesting. Goals set up by great skating, great stickhandling and passing plays are what make the game more interesting, and there are more of those on big ice with how fast the game is. I've always found olympic games (that are actually on the correct size rink) as the most entertaining hockey to watch. And I think having slightly different sized and shaped rinks in college to add to the game, much like fields vary greatly in baseball.

And yes, I hate the shootout. Even the NHL is talking about extending overtime to get more games settled with teams playing hockey.
                        My point, as of right now, colleges are becoming NHL stepping stones, moreso than in the past. So, to recruit, it would make sense to conform to whatever the NHL is doing. Sometimes it sucks (shootouts), sometimes it's good (similar ice-size, for experience on said ice sheet). That's my only point.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Saying what size rink equates to a better game is an opinion, not a fact. So there is no "period" about it. It's like blond vs. brunette. It is a matter of taste.

While I have never had anything major against the Olympic sheet, I'd argue that the puck movement can actually be slowed down by that size ice sheet because players feel they can lug the puck around more because of the extra time/space they have as opposed to moving the puck more quickly to an open teammate. Personally, I enjoy the playmaking that tends to develop from quick puck movement than I do when guys think they can dangle it around more on their own. To me, this is a major difference between college and pro. Players move the puck more quickly to the open man in the pros because they know they can't waste a lot of time. Things happen faster. Turnovers, etc.

One of the things Lucia always used to remark on when we would be preparing to play at the old DECC (which was even smaller than the standard 200x85 NHL rink) is how quick you have to move the puck and how quickly things can happen if/when you have a break down.

Making remarks on it based on how the NHL looks is misleading because the NHL places far more emphasis on big, physical players that are meant to clog things up. Even then, I'd argue that what has held back scoring in the NHL has more to do with more athletic goalies (and the ridiculous size of the gear they wear).

The Olympic rink is more the exception than the rule with most young players. Most of them spent their youthful development on normal size rinks. I have no problem with them shrinking it to a 200x90 size, etc.
                          University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                            Saying what size rink equates to a better game is an opinion, not a fact. So there is no "period" about it. It's like blond vs. brunette. It is a matter of taste.

While I have never had anything major against the Olympic sheet, I'd argue that the puck movement can actually be slowed down by that size ice sheet because players feel they can lug the puck around more because of the extra time/space they have as opposed to moving the puck more quickly to an open teammate. Personally, I enjoy the playmaking that tends to develop from quick puck movement than I do when guys think they can dangle it around more on their own. To me, this is a major difference between college and pro. Players move the puck more quickly to the open man in the pros because they know they can't waste a lot of time. Things happen faster. Turnovers, etc.

One of the things Lucia always used to remark on when we would be preparing to play at the old DECC (which was even smaller than the standard 200x85 NHL rink) is how quick you have to move the puck and how quickly things can happen if/when you have a break down.

Making remarks on it based on how the NHL looks is misleading because the NHL places far more emphasis on big, physical players that are meant to clog things up. Even then, I'd argue that what has held back scoring in the NHL has more to do with more athletic goalies (and the ridiculous size of the gear they wear).

The Olympic rink is more the exception than the rule with most young players. Most of them spent their youthful development on normal size rinks. I have no problem with them shrinking it to a 200x90 size, etc.
                            Koho said the game is more fun to watch on Olympic ice, so I'm pretty sure he was clear about expressing opinion.

If you prefer a game that lends itself to trapping styles, then a smaller ice sheet is what you are looking for. If you prefer a game that lends itself to big and physical players rather than small and elusive, then a smaller sheet is what you want. If you prefer a game played more in the corners and along the walls, then again the smaller sheet is what you want. And if you want a game with more dumping than carrying the puck into the zone and setting up...you know where this is going.

I agree with Koho (in case that hasn't become clear ). For my money, the most entertaining brand of hockey tends to be on a larger surface. Otherwise it's too much about systems, positioning, systems, positioning, systems; and not as much freewheeling, letting-it-hang-out hockey. So I'll be pretty bummed if they change the size at Mariucci. I don't believe the current sheet is or ever will be preventing high-caliber players from coming to MN and developing.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                              If you prefer a game that lends itself to trapping styles, then a smaller ice sheet is what you are looking for. If you prefer a game that lends itself to big and physical players rather than small and elusive, then a smaller sheet is what you want. If you prefer a game played more in the corners and along the walls, then again the smaller sheet is what you want. And if you want a game with more dumping than carrying the puck into the zone and setting up...you know where this is going.
                              I kind of laugh at the assertion that the smaller sheet tends to negate smaller, skill players in favor of the big boys. You might want to tell that to talented average size (or smaller) players of recent years that played on the regulation (or close to regulation) size rinks. What about a kid like Jack Connolly at UMD (or a few of his linemates)? Or some of the better players that UND has had over the years (Parise, Toews, Oshie, etc. were hardly players that got by due to their size)? Or how about that NCAA program named Boston College? They sure have sucked over the last 10+ years, right? Often times their program has been relying on smaller guys to be major contributors playing their home games on a 200x87 sheet. Sorry fellas... but reality isn't exactly backing you up here with these assertions. Especially considering BC is very much respected for its skill play and that is what we are trending toward in our current situation here.

And as I said... the vast majority of these kids grew up playing on small rinks and learning how to be creative on them. It's hardly the hindrance you guys act like.

My feeling is some people have become too caught up in what poisoned the NHL for many years in the 90s and first half of the last decade. Which was stifling defense revolving around a lot of obstruction. It wasn't due to rink size. Not sure how old some people here are but I don't recall fast skating and creativity to be much of a problem on NHL size rinks when I was a kid/teen when I grew up watching some of the greatest offensive players that ever lived do their magic on an NHL size sheet.
                              Last edited by Hammy; 11-19-2013, 12:39 AM.
                              University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                                I kind of laugh at the assertion that the smaller sheet tends to negate smaller, skill players in favor of the big boys. You might want to tell that to talented average size (or smaller) players of recent years that played on the regulation (or close to regulation) size rinks. What about a kid like Jack Connolly at UMD (or a few of his linemates)? Or some of the better players that UND has had over the years (Parise, Toews, Oshie, etc. were hardly players that got by due to their size)? Or how about that NCAA program named Boston College? They sure have sucked over the last 10+ years, right? Often times their program has been relying on smaller guys to be major contributors playing their home games on a 200x87 sheet. Sorry fellas... but reality isn't exactly backing you up here with these assertions. Especially considering BC is very much respected for its skill play and that is what we are trending toward in our current situation here.

And as I said... the vast majority of these kids grew up playing on small rinks and learning how to be creative on them. It's hardly the hindrance you guys act like.

My feeling is some people have become too caught up in what poisoned the NHL for many years in the 90s and first half of the last decade. Which was stifling defense revolving around a lot of obstruction. It wasn't due to rink size. Not sure how old some people here are but I don't recall fast skating and creativity to be much of a problem on NHL size rinks when I was a kid/teen when I grew up watching some of the greatest offensive players that ever lived do their magic on an NHL size sheet.
                                Eh, you were the one who said the NHL trended toward bigger and more physical players to clog things up, and that making remarks based on how the NHL looks isn't exactly apples-to-apples. I think that cuts both ways. Guys like Parise, Toews and Oshie were pretty decent sized for the college game (5'11", 6'2", 5'11" and built like a brick ****house, respectively). Beyond that, they were/are some incredibly talented individuals and that has allowed them to translate their game to the NHL environment. I find it hard to believe you can say with a straight face that a larger ice surface doesn't negate some of the advantages of size and reach in favor of speed and agility. I think most people see that to be the case. And I think that lends to a more attractive style. At least, more attractive from where I sit. And more exciting.

As for the argument that these guys grow up on 200x85 sized sheets, that is a bit of a non sequitur for me. If I may exaggerate to make a point: if you put a bunch of 7-year-olds on an NHL rink it will seem like they have a ton of space. As guys get bigger and faster, that space starts to shrink.

Comment

Working...
                                X