PDA

View Full Version : Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

4four4
11-24-2013, 11:57 PM
Well, I'm from EP and our only tradition when I was there was to get spanked by anyone and everyone on an annual basis. :)

I thought it was great beating up EP, Tonka, Wayzata and everybody else. Fun times. ;)

Bonin21
11-25-2013, 12:20 AM
Who's going to start the Border Battle thread?

Koho
11-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Thought they would have dropped in the poles. Sorta was hoping they would. Guess this isn't bad, since probably annoys some Jan fans.

Slap Shot
11-25-2013, 11:31 PM
Thought they would have dropped in the poles. Sorta was hoping they would. Guess this isn't bad, since probably annoys some Jan fans.

SUCKS had more 1st place votes, but due to a lack of RESPECT still stand #2.

(poles etc...)

state of hockey
11-29-2013, 07:42 PM
Haula has been real good for the Wild tonight. His first NHL point is an assist on a Dany Heatley goal. Figures.

Stauber1
11-29-2013, 08:34 PM
This Gopher team might be the worst team I have ever seen at clearing the puck on the PK.

Good to see them go 100% on the PK, but I'm not sure how much credit to give to MN and how much to give to WI for that.

WiscDC
11-29-2013, 10:37 PM
This Gopher team might be the worst team I have ever seen at clearing the puck on the PK.

Good to see them go 100% on the PK, but I'm not sure how much credit to give to MN and how much to give to WI for that.

A little of both, I'd say. Wisconsin's power play is much better than the awfulness of a year ago, but they definitely made some mistakes when it came to quick passing on the power play that weren't really forced. That said, Minnesota definitely did not let up on the PK, so give them credit.

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
11-29-2013, 11:23 PM
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2013/11/29/5158636/big-ten-hockey-minnesota-defeats-wisconsin-4-1-friday/in/4922183

Recap of the game from Nate Wells

Koho
11-30-2013, 09:35 AM
So was Cammaratta just sat, or does he have an injury?

Wisko McBadgerton
11-30-2013, 09:38 AM
So was Cammaratta just sat, or does he have an injury?

I believe tDon said Cammaratta has a back problem and is day to day.

Koho
11-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Pioneer Press Sports has a poll for what MN sports fans should be most thankful for, have choices for all pro teams and Gopher BBall and Football, but not hockey!!!!! What a joke! No other team is doing as well as the Gophs and they don't even have them in their idiotic pohl!

Greyeagle
11-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Excellent start to the B1G this weekend, always good to get 6 :eek: points.

HarleyMC
11-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Tonight’s game was the Gopher-BADger rivalry game everyone was expecting for the first B1G series of the season and the battle level was intense and consistent right down to the final ticks. In the back of his mind, Seth Ambroz has had something to prove after his NHL draft stock dropped a bit before coming to the Gophers. This was undoubtedly the biggest breakout weekend series of Seth Ambroz’s Gopher career, notching 4 Gs as the NEW goal scoring leader and most likely earned the B1G conference player of the weekend honors.

Credit Bucky who came out the gates fired up tonight scoring first and suddenly the Gophers trailed AGAIN early. The Gophers have given up the first G in 8 games now this season, but their 6-2-0 record shows the character of this team’s ability to battle back for the W as they did tonight. With the game winding down and tied at 3-3 with .56 sec. left, tDon made the right coaching decision to put the 3rd line in which had been the best production line of the weekend. Serratore played his usual hard fought game hitting everything that moved, and with 26 sec. left Travis “lunchpail :D” Boyd popped the puck in front for Ambroz’s winning G for the W.

Overall, a huge series sweep and confidence builder for the Gophers who improve to 11-2-1. Next weekend the Gophers are on the road for the final series of this half against a struggling Sparty (4-7-0) on the small sheet. And guess what…lo and behold we play a team with an even more pathetic PP than the Gophers (14.3%) at 9.6%! Go Gophers! Rah!:)

The Rube
11-30-2013, 09:56 PM
Tonight’s game was the Gopher-BADger rivalry game everyone was expecting for the first B1G series of the season and the battle level was intense and consistent right down to the final ticks. In the back of his mind, Seth Ambroz has had something to prove after his NHL draft stock dropped a bit before coming to the Gophers. This was undoubtedly the biggest breakout weekend series of Seth Ambroz’s Gopher career, notching 4 Gs as the NEW goal scoring leader and most likely earned the B1G conference player of the weekend honors.

Credit Bucky who came out the gates fired up tonight scoring first and suddenly the Gophers trailed AGAIN early. The Gophers have given up the first G in 8 games now this season, but their 6-2-0 record shows the character of this team’s ability to battle back for the W as they did tonight. With the game winding down and tied at 3-3 with .56 sec. left, tDon made the right coaching decision to put the 3rd line in which had been the best production line of the weekend. Serratore played his usual hard fought game hitting everything that moved, and with 26 sec. left Travis “lunchpail :D” Boyd popped the puck in front for Ambroz’s winning G for the W.

Overall, a huge series sweep and confidence builder for the Gophers who improve to 11-2-1. Next weekend the Gophers are on the road for the final series of this half against a struggling Sparty (4-7-0) on the small sheet. And guess what…lo and behold we play a team with an even more pathetic PP than the Gophers (14.3%) at 9.6%! Go Gophers! Rah!:)

Kinda funny: MN plays WI in football, the next week MN plays WI in hockey. Then MN plays MSU in football, then MSU the next week in hockey. COINCIDENCE?! ;)

Steve_MN
11-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Kinda funny: MN plays WI in football, the next week MN plays WI in hockey. Then MN plays MSU in football, then MSU the next week in hockey. COINCIDENCE?! ;)
As long as the win/loss pattern continues, I think we'll be happy with next weekend :D

The Rube
11-30-2013, 10:15 PM
As long as the win/loss pattern continues, I think we'll be happy with next weekend :D

Ditto! :D

HarleyMC
11-30-2013, 10:53 PM
Highlights (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm88Db1CLNc). R 'n fk'n R...

Slap Shot
11-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Aside from the PP being bothersome, my other complaint is the Gophers mess around way too much in their own end. To compound that it seems like that is in their heads and therefore are so anxious to get the puck out that they ice it when a simple chip shot or skating the puck out would have prevented a face-off in their own zone without a line change. Yeah, I suppose that's better than a TO in the defensive zone, but puck play in their own end needs improvement across the board.

Kloos, Fasching, Skjei, M. Reilly, Brodzinski, Cammy (obviously not this weekend) and now Ambroz are bright spots among a list of others. What stands out though is the scoring depth and that despite criticisms of Marshall and maybe a few others that the s**t list on a weekly basis has been shorter from series to series than in any season of recent memory.

And my homer comment (although it seems it is not alone) is a shout out to Holl. For a kid that imho quickly regressed confidence wise early in his tenure, he followed up a pretty gutsy year playing F to playing the best D of his career even if his shots so rarely find their way to the net.

Congrats on the first ever B1G hockey sweep!!

HarleyMC
12-01-2013, 12:29 AM
Aside from the PP being bothersome, my other complaint is the Gophers mess around way too much in their own end. To compound that it seems like that is in their heads and therefore are so anxious to get the puck out that they ice it when a simple chip shot or skating the puck out would have prevented a face-off in their own zone without a line change. Yeah, I suppose that's better than a TO in the defensive zone, but puck play in their own end needs improvement across the board.

Kloos, Fasching, Skjei, M. Reilly, Brodzinski, Cammy (obviously not this weekend) and now Ambroz are bright spots among a list of others. What stands out though is the scoring depth and that despite criticisms of Marshall and maybe a few others that the s**t list on a weekly basis has been shorter from series to series than in any season of recent memory.

And my homer comment (although it seems it is not alone) is a shout out to Holl. For a kid that imho quickly regressed confidence wise early in his tenure, he followed up a pretty gutsy year playing F to playing the best D of his career even if his shots so rarely find their way to the net.

Congrats on the first ever B1G hockey sweep!!

True...it's been interesting seeing Holl evolve into a mature, smart, and consistent contributor. He's really elevated his game and has been solid at D all season. Marshall seems to be in a bit of a funk right now...he's made some costly errors (none more costly than the Yael season ending one though) and he's been in the box nearly twice as much as any other player (27 PIM) already surpassing his 2012-13 PIM total. I noticed tDon started Brodzinski on the PP tonight in place of Marshall whereas last season Ben QB'd it quite well. Despite his occasional screw up, I like the fact that he's committed to sacrifice his body to get in front of stingers, blocking more shots than any other Gopher player (Marshall/21, Holl/20). Marshall is a smart hockey player and I think he'll get it worked out and show marked improvement in the second half.

Koho
12-01-2013, 12:47 PM
True...it's been interesting seeing Holl evolve into a mature, smart, and consistent contributor. He's really elevated his game and has been solid at D all season. Marshall seems to be in a bit of a funk right now...he's made some costly errors (none more costly than the Yael season ending one though) and he's been in the box nearly twice as much as any other player (27 PIM) already surpassing his 2012-13 PIM total. I noticed tDon started Brodzinski on the PP tonight in place of Marshall whereas last season Ben QB'd it quite well. Despite his occasional screw up, I like the fact that he's committed to sacrifice his body to get in front of stingers, blocking more shots than any other Gopher player (Marshall/21, Holl/20). Marshall is a smart hockey player and I think he'll get it worked out and show marked improvement in the second half.

I feel Marshall is getting a bad rap too. He does make a couple mistakes, but he he does an awful lot, including things that aren't as obvious as mistakes. He is usually very aggressive back-checking in the corners and more often than not comes away with the puck. And you can't hang losing the puck behind the net against Yael on him. It was clear the puck stuck in a wet spot. Period shouldn't have started in a playoff game before the ice is frozen.

Brodzinski has been good most of the year, but I noticed some miscues by him this weekend. A couple rushed shots into Badger legs, a couple times stepping up when he should have backed up, etc. Not horrible, and all the D seem to be doing some of these. Just seemed like he had more than I've seen from him to this point. Still, as a freshman, I think he and Bisch are proving to be pretty smart players who have adjusted quickly. (Any word if part of the reason for sitting Bisch was to let things heal better, or if it was just his turn? Didn't see anything in his play to warrant it.)

And while Reilly has been cranking up the points, as most expected, Skjei seems to also be picking it up pretty well. He has become very effective defensively. He missed one assignment I remember, but seems like a lot of times he goes into the boards with two opponents and comes out with the puck, then makes a great pass.