Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

Originally posted by firstpusk View Post
    No one has scored on them in ages.
    On the other hand we've never lost to Bye. If we don't look past them I'm thinking it will be a non-event.

P.S. Besides North Dakota is Bye the only other team without a nickname?
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Well, we were saying we would have to wait until we played some better competition before we could say how well the freshman are adjusting. After the first test with a strong team, I'd say they look just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
        I don't know. I liked his speed up the ice and then the toe drag around the defender to hit Condon in full stride quite a bit. (Better put him on the 4th line though.)

Congrats Jake on your first goal! Was glad to see that. Bum wrist and all. Sure Dad was happy. Hopefully we'll see many more.
        Well, I am a little odd.
        Seriously thought, I was starting to feel a little uncomfortable with the Gopher's overall play when Kloos makes that play. Not pretty or even a defining game moment but really liked the maturity he showed.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
        Twenty red lights in his honor
        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
          Well, I am a little odd.
          No comment!

Little?

Comment

Originally posted by koho View Post
            no comment!

little?
            I am optimistic.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
            Twenty red lights in his honor
            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
              I am optimistic.
              And you write about how much you like nuts!

Comment

3 of the top 5 in scoring are Fr. Kids are learning quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                  Yeah... that thing about Kloos being moved off the second line. LOL.
                  When I said it I wasn't making a comment about how well/poorly he plays in general. In fact, I'm pretty sure in the very first post I talked about how well that line transitions and goes from zone to zone (which is exactly how both the goals from that line were scored today...as well as the one Friday).

I stand by the rest of that post, although point taken that if they continue to produce at the rate they have been the good things the line does trump the things that they are limited in.

Comment

Is it your opinion that the limitations of that line can be remedied by changing the center? I was able to watch enough of Waterloo's games last year to get a good feel for what they can do defensively and I'm pretty sure the center wasn't the issue. For all his considerable gifts, Cammy's strong suit is not his own end. When a kid brings what he does to the table you sometimes need to live with what goes on at the other end. Again, maybe they move him maybe they don't but Kloos provides an element on the rush that nobody else on that roster is going to replace. I was pleased to see Condon take a larger portion of the faceoff work, takes some pressure off the freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by poisondart View Post
                      Is it your opinion that the limitations of that line can be remedied by changing the center? I was able to watch enough of Waterloo's games last year to get a good feel for what they can do defensively and I'm pretty sure the center wasn't the issue. For all his considerable gifts, Cammy's strong suit is not his own end. When a kid brings what he does to the table you sometimes need to live with what goes on at the other end. Again, maybe they move him maybe they don't but Kloos provides an element on the rush that nobody else on that roster is going to replace. I was pleased to see Condon take a larger portion of the faceoff work, takes some pressure off the freshman.
                      Not to rehash the discussion, but my original point was that the line is fantastic in transition and going zone to zone but has had a hard time holding zones, and I think that is a limitation that will be with that line combination all year. Harley also brought up how the line has struggled on face-offs, although that wasn't something that had entered my thought process initially.
                      I suggested that we could see that line broken up in the not too distant future, not because of offensive production but for something a little less tangible like consistent puck possession and sustained offensive zone pressure.

Like I said, point taken that if the line continues to produce at their current rate it renders my point moot. They seem to be getting more prolific each weekend, so it's been fun watching them.

Comment

Puck possession only matters if you do something good with it... like score goals. Look no further than some of the Wild games this year. The Wild owned the puck a lot in some games but they were losing because they weren't scoring goals. So who cares about puck possession in such situations?

It is sort of like the concept of ball control offense in the NFL. Maybe a team has the ball for a lot of the game because they can run the ball but if they don't score TDs with that offense, does it really matter if the opponent scores with their opportunities? You don't have to have the ball a lot and still score TDs if you are efficient.

The reality is you have to ask yourself do you really gain anything with a potential replacement. Boyd was used as an example. Well, Boyd is a +2 with 4 pts. so far and Kloos is a +7 with 9 pts. That faceoff thing. That's a measure... just a not a very good one when judging the overall situation. (In a shocking turn of events, Kloos had a better faceoff % today than Boyd...)

If you want a "weak link" when it comes to puck possession on that line, Cammy would be the guy. But the reality is he is too offensively gifted to waste his talents on a 3rd or 4th line. It would be a fish out of water. As poisondart mentioned, sometimes you have to accept a few flaws if the overall result is much more positive than negative. Big picture.
                        Last edited by Hammy; 10-27-2013, 10:06 PM.
                        University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Puck possession only matters if you do something good with it... like score goals. Look no further than some of the Wild games this year. The Wild owned the puck a lot in some games but they were losing because they weren't scoring goals. So who cares about puck possession in such situations?

It is sort of like the concept of ball control offense in the NFL. Maybe a team has the ball a lot because they can run the ball but if they don't score TDs with that offense, does it really matter? On the flip side, you don't have to have the ball a lot and still score TDs if you are efficient with the opportunities you have.

The reality is you have to ask yourself do you really gain anything with a potential replacement. Boyd was used as an example. Well, Boyd is a +2 with 4 pts. so far and Kloos is a +7 with 9 pts. That faceoff thing. That's a measure... just a not a very good one when judging the overall situation. (In a shocking turn of events, Kloos had a better faceoff % today than Boyd...)

If you want a "weak link" when it comes to puck possession on that line, Cammy would be the guy. But the reality is he is too offensively gifted to waste his talents on a 3rd or 4th line. It would be a fish out of water. As poisondart mentioned, sometimes you have to accept a few flaws if the overall result is much more positive than negative. Big picture.
                          While I agree with most of what you have said, that bolded part is questionable. Puck possession doesn't guarantee wins, but if you own the puck more often than not and own a territorial advantage, it gives you a better chance to win. Hemming a team in and bottling them up pays dividends maybe not on each individual possession but certainly over the course of an entire game or series. I Think you'd be hard pressed to find many who disagree with that.
                          As for football, I'm no expert...but I'd guess you would have a hard time finding a team who wouldn't take a significant edge in possession if it were offered to them before the game.

As for Boyd, I do think he has improved significantly over his previous 2 seasons at the U. But like I said originally, I was just kind of throwing his name out there.

Again, I wasn't suggesting it because I thought Kloos wasn't delivering offensively, rather I said his presence on the 3rd line would give MN even more scoring depth across their top 3 lines.

But, again, for about the 5th time...point taken that the line's limitations are trumped if they continue to produce like this.

Comment

I'm not saying puck possession doesn't matter at all. I'm simply saying if you change up a line and it no longer produces to the level it did prior to that, who really cares as much about puck possession? I'd rather be efficient and score goals than the opposite.

By the way, my original comment on Boyd was not aimed toward you specifically. Just the idea that we should even really be thinking of replacing our 2nd line center who happens to be the top point producing center on the team and using something like faceoff percentage as any kind of justification. I'm sure there are some good 4th line centers in college hockey that are good at the face off dot... but so what when they can't produce nearly as well as a kid like Kloos in many other areas of the game.
                            University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

I don't know about all the analysis. Kind of seems like over thinking what is a pretty darn entertaining team to watch. I'm looking forward to seeing what they will do at Notre Dame in a couple of weeks.
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

I'm not saying puck possession doesn't matter at all. I'm simply saying if you change up a line and it no longer produces to the level it did prior to that, who really cares as much about puck possession? I'd rather be efficient and score goals than the opposite.

By the way, my original comment on Boyd was not aimed toward you specifically. Just the idea that we should even really be thinking of replacing our 2nd line center who happens to be the top point producing center on the team and using something like faceoff percentage as any kind of justification. I'm sure there are some good 4th line centers in college hockey that are good at the face off dot... but so what when they can't produce nearly as well as a kid like Kloos in many other areas of the game.
                                The only reason it would make sense is if some of those points migrate with him to the line he moves to, and/or it influences goals against.
                                I agree, using face-offs as a sole justification wouldn't make a lot of sense. But if the line does struggle on face-offs to the point where they were only put on the ice for 9/60+ (going off of the numbers you reported) then that is a further limitation for the line.

I agree that with the way they have scored and continue to look better the more they play, the less valid that suggestion is.

Comment

Working...
                                X