PDA

View Full Version : Gophers 2013-14 B1G Things To Come!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

BigM3810
10-31-2013, 02:54 PM
North Dakota, Minnesota to renew historic rivalry

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209295115

By 2016 maybe UND will actually have a nickname!

SanTropez
11-01-2013, 12:45 PM
When Guertler is back in the lineup (probably Notre Dame series) he would have to be on the 3rd line I would think. I can't see him on the 4th line and the first 2 are playing extremely well right now so you don't want to break them up. If so you then have Boyd, C Reilly, Lettieri and Guertler battling for a 3rd line spot.

I wouldn't take Lettieri off that line, so that leaves C Reilly Boyd and Guertler fighting for 2 spots. I would have Guertler Boyd and Lettieri to start off on the 3rd line then go from there. The 4th line could have Serratore C Reilly(or Boyd) Michaelson Ambroz and Isackson battling for spots. That's some great depth, finally.

D2D
11-01-2013, 01:09 PM
When Guertler is back in the lineup (probably Notre Dame series) he would have to be on the 3rd line I would think. I can't see him on the 4th line and the first 2 are playing extremely well right now so you don't want to break them up. If so you then have Boyd, C Reilly, Lettieri and Guertler battling for a 3rd line spot.

I wouldn't take Lettieri off that line, so that leaves C Reilly Boyd and Guertler fighting for 2 spots. I would have Guertler Boyd and Lettieri to start off on the 3rd line then go from there. The 4th line could have Serratore C Reilly(or Boyd) Michaelson Ambroz and Isackson battling for spots. That's some great depth, finally.

My guess is that Lucia will make Guertler earn his way up, and start him on the 4th line. If he performs well he'll then get promoted rather quickly. But to jump start him above three or four guys who've been working their tails off could cause some dissention in the ranks, and I think Don will know this. Those other guys need to see that he's earned the right to move up by his play.

5mn_Major
11-01-2013, 01:48 PM

Yeah. The top 6 are a lock. 3rd and 4th lines are a logjam with Ambroz, Boyd, Serratore, Guertler, Lettieri, C Reilly, Isackson, Michaelson and R Reilly. Skate 5 lines? ;)

ScoobyDoo
11-01-2013, 04:30 PM
My guess is that Lucia will make Guertler earn his way up, and start him on the 4th line. If he performs well he'll then get promoted rather quickly. But to jump start him above three or four guys who've been working their tails off could cause some dissention in the ranks, and I think Don will know this. Those other guys need to see that he's earned the right to move up by his play.
So, Guertler hasn't been working hard? Just because the others play in the games because he's suspended doesn't mean in practice he's not the one working the hardest. Not saying one way or another, I'm just saying that I don't think you can automatically jump to your conclusion.

D2D
11-01-2013, 05:48 PM
So, Guertler hasn't been working hard? Just because the others play in the games because he's suspended doesn't mean in practice he's not the one working the hardest. Not saying one way or another, I'm just saying that I don't think you can automatically jump to your conclusion.

Note that I said "My guess is..." - not a conclusion, just a hunch.

Koho
11-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Yeah. The top 6 are a lock. 3rd and 4th lines are a logjam with Ambroz, Boyd, Serratore, Guertler, Lettieri, C Reilly, Isackson, Michaelson and R Reilly. Skate 5 lines? ;)

And talking about who will play and who won't is not facing the likely scenario, which is that they all rotate to some degree. My guess is we see a lot of Ambroz, Boyd, Letteiri and Serratore to start, with the least of R Reilly. Guertler might quickly replace one of these guys. Serratore has proven himself over the years, but so far this year he has seemed less noticeable than in the past, which is a surprise. My guess is the first four I listed and Guertler become something like 3 out of 4 game players and the others are shuffled into the remaining spots.

by the way, my memory sucks: Does anyone know how many games each of these guys has already appeared in?

Steve_MN
11-04-2013, 10:22 AM
This came up at the radio show a couple weeks ago, and from what Lucia was saying, he sounded very happy with how Gabe was working in practice. If tDon and company decide that Gabe has paid his price for the off-season screw-up, I fully expect that they'll put him on whichever line they feel he fits best with. Since he wasn't being sat due to on-ice performance, I don't see them slowly working him up the lines unless that's how they think it'd be best to get him up and running at game speed.

5mn_Major
11-04-2013, 11:18 AM
And talking about who will play and who won't is not facing the likely scenario, which is that they all rotate to some degree. My guess is we see a lot of Ambroz, Boyd, Letteiri and Serratore to start, with the least of R Reilly. Guertler might quickly replace one of these guys. Serratore has proven himself over the years, but so far this year he has seemed less noticeable than in the past, which is a surprise. My guess is the first four I listed and Guertler become something like 3 out of 4 game players and the others are shuffled into the remaining spots.

by the way, my memory sucks: Does anyone know how many games each of these guys has already appeared in?

Outside of opponent scouting, this logjam at the 3rd, 4th lines may be the #1 issue the coaching staff is looking at. I would assume they have a pretty decent handle on the comparative performance of the guys.

But I agree...there a couple of the guys that are just a bit better (Ambroz) and there are guys that haven't had a ton of chances yet but have the potential to be a lot better (Letteiri, Guertler, etc.) Those will likely be the guys to get more ice time.

Driftryder
11-04-2013, 11:30 AM
I hope Guertler gets into the lineup at Notre Dame, it sounds like the kid has some toughness and can score a few goals as well.

From people that have watched him play, is he a speed demon like a few of our other freshmen? What's his game?

Koho
11-04-2013, 12:34 PM

Come on.....I understand dropping 5% for not scoring on Bye, but the glass should have gained over the early season 75% based on Freshman performance.

And on another note, I would like to see Rau start to get a couple goals.

5mn_Major
11-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Come on.....I understand dropping 5% for not scoring on Bye, but the glass should have gained over the early season 75% based on Freshman performance.

Interesting the way Warning's (and Fasching's) role have turned out to be scorer. And Rau is turning out to be the set up guy. Agreed, it would be nice to see him get some G's. But from a coaching staff standpoint, if its working don't fix it.

Hammy
11-05-2013, 11:25 AM
From people that have watched him (Guertler) play, is he a speed demon like a few of our other freshmen? What's his game?

Good overall game. More of a goal scorer. Pretty good skater. He's more gritty than the other freshmen forwards (outside of Fasching that is). Built a little more thick with a lower center of gravity so he can absorb hits and maintain the puck control. Will get his nose dirty. He can be an agitator (but I am hoping he'll leave that out of his game until he earns a regular spot in the lineup).

Driftryder
11-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks Hammy.

He will be a solid addition to the Gopher lineup then.

Tiggsy
11-05-2013, 05:57 PM

Like I said before, I thought they did well against Bye. It was like the other team didn't even show up.

Koho
11-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Well so far, I gotta think everyone is happy with the freshman. I know I shouldn't focus on this already and enjoy what we have, but if Fasching keeps this play up, I don't think we'll have him as long as we would like. Another good test next week, and on watchable channels.

D2D
11-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Well so far, I gotta think everyone is happy with the freshman.

More like overjoyed! :) It's a couple of the upperclassmen that I'm concerned about.

SanTropez
11-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Yeah Rau seems to be snake bitten recently, be nice to get him going again.

Though the frosh are stepping up nicely, fun group to watch.

poisondart
11-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Rau will get his share of goals but its has to be noted he's playing a different position. You won't see him camped on the week side nearly as often because his positional responsibilities have changed now that he's playing in the middle. I thinks the world of Fasching and Warning but their goal scoring pace is being set by the play of #7. Its a great testimony to Kyle's ability that he could switch to a tougher position to play and make the players around him better. In my opinion he should have played center last year, Bjugy possesses great physical skill but isn't close to kyle between the ears. Kyles play in his own end has been stellar and unlike last year he is seldom leading the brake up the ice but instead is getting the puck to his wingers with time and space to make plays. First and foremost the center is the 3rd D.

Koho
11-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Rau will get his share of goals but its has to be noted he's playing a different position. You won't see him camped on the week side nearly as often because his positional responsibilities have changed now that he's playing in the middle. I thinks the world of Fasching and Warning but their goal scoring pace is being set by the play of #7. Its a great testimony to Kyle's ability that he could switch to a tougher position to play and make the players around him better. In my opinion he should have played center last year, Bjugy possesses great physical skill but isn't close to kyle between the ears. Kyles play in his own end has been stellar and unlike last year he is seldom leading the brake up the ice but instead is getting the puck to his wingers with time and space to make plays. First and foremost the center is the 3rd D.
Being center doesn't limit goal scoring. 3 of the top 4 in the NHL in goals are currently Centers, and there are only half as many centers on the ice at a given time than wings. I agree he has a different role this year than last, but last year he was a top 20 scorer in the nation, and this year he isn't in the top 50. (What does he have, 1 or 2 goals?) As a Junior, he should be doing better than that. I love his game and he is playing well in many ways, but I am sure if you asked him, he would say he should be scoring more.

And I thought Bjugs was well suited to handle the Center position.