Fearless Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fearless Predictions

In case you might have missed it, the first of the season picks are up on the main page:

http://www.uscho.com/womens-d1-blog/...i-picks-oct-4/

P.S. If one of the prognosticators cares to explain, why no predictions for Providence @ Union; Connecticut @ UMD; Lindenwood @ UND; and Penn State @ Vermont - all two game series - plus Sunday's big matchup when BC hosts Maine?
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Re: Fearless Predictions

I wish the forum had a feature such that I could post a response where everyone would see my standard post, except I could post a "special" version for TTT's eyes only. It doesn't so I'll go with my vanilla response and Tony can use his imagination.

We've never picked 100% of the games. Candace picks a slate based on which contests figure to generate interest, be competitive, have playoff implications, or have some other reason that makes them compelling. At this stage of the season, it can be hard to say where a given game falls, but Union, Connecticut, Penn State and Maine were some of the least successful teams a year ago, and Lindenwood has yet to beat a WCHA school. None of those has "upset" written all over them.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      Candace picks a slate based on which contests figure to generate interest, be competitive, have playoff implications, or have some other reason that makes them compelling.
      I get that but in what universe does any one of those criteria apply to Colgate vs. Minnesota?
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        I get that but in what universe does any one of those criteria apply to Colgate vs. Minnesota?
        there is always a little more interest in last years champ, and when a team goes undefeated, and is currently riding a record winning streak, there will generally be widespread interest.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
          Colgate is better than the other teams mentioned. The Raiders beat Clarkson (while the Golden Eagles actually had their two best players) and won > 10 games. Colgate has had a while to think about losing 18-0 composite in last year's series, and although they have talent, this is hardly the same Minnesota team from last year. I expect Colgate to have a more successful season than most people do. Plus, I think the streak increases the interest factor. But you're right that we could skip Minnesota in most weeks, because we both pick them so it doesn't change our contest.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

WCHA

Minnesota State @ Wisconsin X 2: 6 Pts. for UW

Non-Conference

Minnesota @ Colgate X 2: Minnesota wins two

Ohio State @ Mercyhurst X 1: Mercyhurst

RIT @ New Hampshire X 1: New Hampshire

RIT @ Northeastern X 1: Northeastern

Rensselaer @ Robert Morris X 2: Robert Morris twice

Quinnipiac @ St. Cloud State X 2: Split

St. Lawrence @ Clarkson X 1: Clarkson

Clarkson @ St. Lawrence X 1: Clarkson

Providence @ Union X 2: Providence takes both

Connecticut @ Minnesota-Duluth X 2: minnesota-duuhluth wins two

Lindenwood @ North Dakota X 2: I repeat, L'wood gets smoked twice

Syracuse @ New Hampshire X 1: New Hampshire

Penn State @ Vermont X 2: Split

Exhibition

McGill @ Yale X 1: McGill

McGill @ Princeton X 1: Princeton

Hockey East

Maine @ Boston College X 1: Boston College

If ya want to pick 'em all...take a shot. No...I won't be doing this again.

Friday results thus far...off to a tremendously poor start!
            Last edited by brookyone; 10-04-2013, 08:23 PM.
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

We've never picked 100% of the games. Candace picks a slate based on which contests figure to generate interest, be competitive, have playoff implications, or have some other reason that makes them compelling.
              Figured that was probably the case, based on the games that were omitted. However I would add that those contests are of interest and even compelling to those who are close to (or are big fans of) those programs.

I expect Colgate to have a more successful season than most people do.
              As evidenced by your prediction of just a 2-3 loss in the first game! While upsets are always possible, I would think the "over/under" in terms of margin in this one would be greater than 1. We'll find out shortly....
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                there is always a little more interest in last years champ, and when a team goes undefeated, and is currently riding a record winning streak, there will generally be widespread interest.
                I... totally back this answer actually, thanks.
                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Wow, totally forgot about this for the Hockey East thread....next week we shall start

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                    Wow, totally forgot about this for the Hockey East thread....next week we shall start
                    I missed my chance to pick up a point on everyone as I guarantee you I would have been the only one to pick RIT over UNH.
                    ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
                      I missed my chance to pick up a point on everyone as I guarantee you I would have been the only one to pick RIT over UNH.
                      I find this hard to believe. A week ago you said they weren't in the same category as Ohio State. Young teams have ups and downs, maybe one day you'll understand that about college hockey.
                      RIT TIGERS
                      2007-08 AHA Pick'em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Fan View Post
                        I find this hard to believe. A week ago you said they weren't in the same category as Ohio State. Young teams have ups and downs, maybe one day you'll understand that about college hockey.
                        Um, my impresson is that Cali's D plays for RIT (I could be wrong) and hence the reason for the statement.

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Fan View Post
                          They aren't in the same class as Ohio State, or any top 10 team for that matter. Maybe you will understand that reality is what it is. Choosing RIT in a meaningless Pool because I am a fan and parent is a lot different than saying that they are not at the level as a top 10 team. Check the scores of all of the games that RIT has played against top 10 D1 teams (Ohio State included) and you will see my point.
                          ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Working...
                          X