Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 2013-2014 season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 2013-2014 season thread

Thinking this year might be an improvement for the Mavericks. We attended the games on Friday and Saturday, and the win against Mercyhurst was legit. The Mavs started slow, but played 2 solid periods of hockey after that. The game on Saturday was tougher. The girls seemed ragged at the start and Mercyhurst took advantage. They were the stronger team for the first and second periods, but Mankato played really well in the third. They put in 2 quick goals but couldn't take advantage of some power play opportunities. Penalties were a problem in both games for the Mavs. They will have to stay out of the box if they want to make their season a success.

Re: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 2013-2014 season thread

Congratulations to Katie Johnson and Danielle Butters for their WCHA Player of the Week awards....they both looked good against Mercyhurst. Looking forward to this weekend's contest in Madison.

http://www.wcha.com/women/pres1314/201310/oct2wpw.php

Comment

Originally posted by L268 View Post
      Congratulations to Katie Johnson and Danielle Butters for their WCHA Player of the Week awards....they both looked good against Mercyhurst.
      Agreed. Butters looked like she did early in the season last year. I wasn't familiar with Johnson going into Saturday's game, but I definitely noticed her on several occasions.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Thinking this year might be an improvement for the Mavericks. We attended the games on Friday and Saturday, and the win against Mercyhurst was legit. The Mavs started slow, but played 2 solid periods of hockey after that. The game on Saturday was tougher. The girls seemed ragged at the start and Mercyhurst took advantage. They were the stronger team for the first and second periods, but Mankato played really well in the third. They put in 2 quick goals but couldn't take advantage of some power play opportunities. Penalties were a problem in both games for the Mavs. They will have to stay out of the box if they want to make their season a success.
        It will be interesting to see how they do against Wisconsin this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by defense11 View Post
          It will be interesting to see how they do against Wisconsin this weekend.
          Going to watch them on Saturday (and get some Ian's pizza slices). I'm going to enjoy watching Rigsby in her final season

Comment

Liked what I saw this weekend, particularly on the face off dots.

Comment

Originally posted by defense11 View Post
              Liked what I saw this weekend, particularly on the face off dots.
              Wisconsin pressured early. MSU held tough. Shorty (a beauty) hurt. But when it was 2-1 MSU got 2 pucks behind Rigsby. Put one of those in and it is a different game.

Comment

I followed along on my phone to the best of my ability Saturday..Sounded as though a couple goals were called off?
                AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                  I followed along on my phone to the best of my ability Saturday..Sounded as though a couple goals were called off?
                  I can't recall any situations where something mistaken for a goal was called off. The closest thing was a shot that went through Rigsby's legs and just wide of the net.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                    I can't recall any situations where something mistaken for a goal was called off. The closest thing was a shot that went through Rigsby's legs and just wide of the net.
                    Like I said, I couldn't really put it all together via the blog and gamecast on my phone. Thanks.
                    AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                      Like I said, I couldn't really put it all together via the blog and gamecast on my phone. Thanks.
                      A couple pucks did get behind Rigsby, but in the eyes of the refs were covered and/or didn't cross the line before the whistle. In each case, there didn't seem to be much controversey. For instance, in one instance on what appeared to be a very close call from my angle, the outside ref asked the ref by the net if he wanted to go to the video and the ref shook his head no. He was clearly in excellent position to make the call and was confident that he made the right one.

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
                        A couple pucks did get behind Rigsby, but in the eyes of the refs were covered and/or didn't cross the line before the whistle. In each case, there didn't seem to be much controversey. For instance, in one instance on what appeared to be a very close call from my angle, the outside ref asked the ref by the net if he wanted to go to the video and the ref shook his head no. He was clearly in excellent position to make the call and was confident that he made the right one.
                        Yup, I do remember a scramble with players tumbling in the goal crease. Even objectively, it was one of those "close but clear" plays from my angle (up like 5 rows, kind of overhead).

Comment

Hoping the road trip to Lindenwood produces 2 for the W column......

Comment

What is up with Bustad? Injured?
                            Last edited by 96IllinoisDad; 10-11-2013, 03:27 PM.

Comment

2 wins are a must this weekend.
                              AF 99

Comment

Working...
                              X