Ohio State @ Mercyhurst 10/5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State @ Mercyhurst 10/5

This will be a stiff test for our team coming off an overtime exhibition loss to the Toronto Aeros 2-1 Saturday. I am sure Coach Nate and the girls are working hard this week in practice as they will be facing a perennial NCAA Tournament/Frozen Four contender in Mercyhurst. Should be interesting. Mercyhurst fans, feel free to let us know what we can expect to see from your team this Saturday. Safe travels to all who are going.

Re: Ohio State @ Mercyhurst 10/5

Pgb, what are your thoughts on this one? It's a tall task, but I really believe we can go up there and get a W. I think we will get a positive response after the upset loss in the exhibition game. Reading the quotes in the USCHO story, sounded like Coach Nate was not happy with Saturday's game at all. The following quotes appeared in the USCHO Ohio State Season Preview article.

“We don’t draw up the script to play a team that you should beat handily and lose and find silver linings and say, ‘Oh yeah, it’s all good; it’s all part of the big plan,’” Handrahan said. “I’m not that smart. I don’t have a crystal ball. We need to learn from this and help us move forward.”

Handrahan said, “I think the true test of our new leadership is going to be what happens now. We’ve lost a hockey game that in all reality we shouldn’t have. As we go forward, they’ve got to feel that emotion, that embarrassment, those kind of things. Going forward from here, out leadership will be tested now. There are new opportunities, and I think they’ll be up to the task.”

Comment

Surprised he shared those comments in public...locker room yes......also, why disrespect your opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by mnpokecheck View Post
        why disrespect your opponents.
        When a college coach says his team should beat a team of younger players, that isn't disrespecting the opponent, IMO. I'd guess that the club teams play these games not because they expect to win, but because they think the competition will make them better down the road.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
          Pgb, what are your thoughts on this one?
          For starters, I certainly have no quarrel with Coach's comments. An early season loss to a team from a lower level? If a wake-up call isn't appropriate under these circumstances, there's never an appropriate time for a wake-up call.

The conversation about the Aeros game is now spread over at least three threads. But most of my thoughts were expressed on the WCHA thread in the "3 Stars." I found some positives to point out, and I stand by those comments. But again, it must be remembered that the 3 Stars posts, by design, are an aggressive search for the positives -- as put forth by both teams. I've never meant to imply that there was no room for improvement; nothing to criticize.

If Coach wants to use the Aeros game as a motivational tool, he'll certainly get no argument from me. And if a highly motivated group of Buckeyes hit the ice in Erie next weekend, so much the better.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            I'd guess that the club teams play these games not because they expect to win, but because they think the competition will make them better down the road.
            That and to give their players direct exposure to D1 coaches.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Surprised he shared those comments in public...locker room yes......also, why disrespect your opponents.
              I didn't think he was disrespecting the opponent at all. I don't have a problem with anything he said. I wouldn't want a coach who didn't expect to win exhibition games, or wasn't ticked off about it afterward. If you looked at the stats, you could see why he was as upset as he was. It was a game that Ohio State should have won. 26-12 SOG, 7 PP to Toronto's 2, 32-21 face-offs.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                When a college coach says his team should beat a team of younger players, that isn't disrespecting the opponent, IMO. I'd guess that the club teams play these games not because they expect to win, but because they think the competition will make them better down the road.
                Exactly. Nothing disrespectful about Coach Handrahan expecting us to win an exhibition game.

Comment

Exactly. Nothing disrespectful about Coach Handrahan expecting us to win an exhibition game.
                  The comment "a team that you should beat handily" after they just took you to OT and beat you is the comment that seemed a bit disrespectful. Coach might have been better served to compliment the opposition on their effort and lament that your team wasn't able to _______________ {fill in the excuse for the media}.

Comment

The comment "a team that you should beat handily" after they just took you to OT and beat you is the comment that seemed a bit disrespectful. Coach might have been better served to compliment the opposition on their effort and lament that your team wasn't able to _______________ {fill in the excuse for the media}.
                    Was he supposed to disrespect his own team (?) and say something along the lines of "Yeah, we completely expected Toronto to come in here and beat us." I guess he's ****ed if he does and ****ed if he doesn't! He didn't say anything that wasn't true. We should have beaten Toronto handily. The box score backs that up. If you or other posters want to misconstrue that as being disrespectful, so be it. I would rather have Coach "seem" a bit disrespectful to the other team than to disrespect his own program by acting like it was acceptable to lose this game. Our kids and coaching staff have worked way too hard trying to build this program up to where we are a fixture in the upper half of the WCHA to set there and accept exhibition game losses like they were a foregone conclusion. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Comment

The comment "a team that you should beat handily" after they just took you to OT and beat you is the comment that seemed a bit disrespectful. .
                      They should have beaten them handily. RIT did and they are not in the same category as Ohio State. Absolutely nothing wrong with what the Coach said.
                      ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Going in, wasn't the word on OSU good goaltending & D, questionable ability to score? They start out the season with one of the toughest schedules, if they had beat them 8-1 they'd think all is well and good, so maybe it is a good thing they lost if it gives the team a kick in the pants, The game doesn't count for anything. Beating Mercyhurst will right the ship and get them ready for the WCHA schedule.
                        Last edited by pokechecker; 10-03-2013, 03:09 PM.

Comment

In my opinion. OSU will have trouble this year. All of their seniors last year were two way hard working players and feel the D and Goalies benefited greatly. I do feel that Knaap is very good and will win them some games. Other than the twins i feel the D will be exploited this year. They are on the smaller side and without those strong defensive forwards will suffer.

Scoring will have to come from the PP and as you saw last week needs a lot of work. 0 for 7-8 and a 5-3 on the PP won't cut it. Shots from reliable Kari missed the net a lot. D didn't make smooth outlet passes and weren't in sync with each other. One twin Sara missed the game and should be back this week and will help. 16 was missing? And two D were playing forward??

Coaches will have to really coach this year and be creative. If they can hopefully they can hold onto the 4 or 5 spot. Otherwise they will drop towards the bottom. Will be tough but must believe they will and can get it done.

And coach didn't say anything wrong and they should have won big. Sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by WCHFan View Post
                            In my opinion. OSU will have trouble this year. All of their seniors last year were two way hard working players and feel the D and Goalies benefited greatly. I do feel that Knaap is very good and will win them some games. Other than the twins i feel the D will be exploited this year. They are on the smaller side and without those strong defensive forwards will suffer.

Scoring will have to come from the PP and as you saw last week needs a lot of work. 0 for 7-8 and a 5-3 on the PP won't cut it. Shots from reliable Kari missed the net a lot. D didn't make smooth outlet passes and weren't in sync with each other. One twin Sara missed the game and should be back this week and will help. 16 was missing? And two D were playing forward??

Coaches will have to really coach this year and be creative. If they can hopefully they can hold onto the 4 or 5 spot. Otherwise they will drop towards the bottom. Will be tough but must believe they will and can get it done.

And coach didn't say anything wrong and they should have won big. Sorry!
                            I certainly respect your opinion WCHFan, but then, I think many were saying we would have problems last year after losing Spooner and McIntosh to graduation after the 2011-2012 season. Last year ended up being one of our best seasons in a while. I think we will be fine.

Comment

I certainly respect your opinion WCHFan, but then, I think many were saying we would have problems last year after losing Spooner and McIntosh to graduation after the 2011-2012 season. Last year ended up being one of our best seasons in a while. I think we will be fine.

I saw last weeks game and they did not play together or as hard as they did last year. Many lazy mistakes. Hopefully just over-confident and lesson learned!

Just so you know I'm a OSU fan and hope I'm wrong. I do believe in the coach and sure he will do a great job. I just l feel girls like Hokey, Tina, Paige, Mintu, Kim were crazy tenacious two way players and hard to replace. I feel it will take time for this team to come together. I also feel teams will be a little weaker this year and that should help. If they can fix the PP we will be ok a lot sooner.

Years past it seemed like OSU started fast and faded. I see the team Starting slower and get stronger at the end. Which could be a good thing.

Hope your right and they'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X