Ferris State University Hockey: 2013-2014 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferris State University Hockey: 2013-2014 season

I guess that it's tradition that I start this.

Sorry, that's all I got for a title at the moment. It will have to do for now.

I haven't followed the program nearly as much the past couple seasons, but I do have a rough idea what to expect, as some things don't change. We're solid in net with C. J. Motte, and we're going to be fine on the blue line. We're probably a little light on the goal scoring. The discipline will probably be a little better, and we'll be solid on special teams.

As for the new league, I don't know much about the teams from the old WCHA. But if I had to make a guess, we're looking at top 3 and in the running for an at-large berth in the NCAAs. Let's see how wrong I am about that come March.

It's going to be up to you guys to keep this thread going this season. I'm around, but I'm not going to be seeing this team play much this season.

Let's go.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Re: Ferris State University Hockey: 2013-2014 season

Originally posted by Hammer View Post

We're solid in net with C. J. Motte, and we're going to be fine on the blue line. We're probably a little light on the goal scoring. The discipline will probably be a little better, and we'll be solid on special teams.
    I think that preseason analysis would be acceptable for any Bulldog team of the last decade.

The net should be solid and consistent. I'm pretty excited about the blue line. Denis, Czarnowczan, White and Binkley are all good. Hopefully with the defense and Motte we only need 2 or 3 goals to give us a shot at winning. I expect more from Corey Kane and Andy Huff. Our forwards are bigger than our defensemen (does that seem unusual to anyone else?) and hopefully they'll be able to grind a few out. A lot of familiar names still on the roster from 2011-2012. Many of these boys remember the trip to Tampa...

Go Dawgs!
    "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
    - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
    CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Comment

Another thought:

If I read the roster right, every single freshman is from Michigan, including two hometowners. We have one of the best states for recruiting hockey talent in the country so tapping into this local supply chain may be a great long term strategy. However, I'm a little worried that MSU, UofM, WMU and high profile out of state schools will suck up all the good ones. I just found that to be an interesting fact that I hadn't realized up to this point.
      - Tim Horton

Ferris State University

Comment

Originally posted by hattrick16 View Post
        I think that preseason analysis would be acceptable for any Bulldog team of the last decade.
        You beat me to it.

It does, however, appear to be a spot-on assessment. I think Hammer's prediction is pretty much where I would put the Bulldogs chances too. Hopefully it's a little too conservative but I've been burned too many times being overly optimistic. Unfortunately, I think his prediction of not getting to see them play very much will hold true for me also. To Quote Oscar Wilde: "Work is the curse of the Hockey class." (Hockey class and drinking class are interchangeable, aren't they?)
        "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
        Groucho Marx
        "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
        Ron White
        "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
        Milo Bloom

Comment

Ferris invited to 2016 Icebreaker as WCHA representative
          This space for sale.

Comment

Opening day! Dom's got a lot of nice stuff up on the website if you'd like to watch a preview or two. http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/sports/mice/index

Go Dawgs!
            - Tim Horton

Ferris State University

Comment

Not sure where Dom was tonight, but I'll take that win to start the season.
              This space for sale.

Comment

Is he still in Big Rapids? Is he still in school?

Either way, a win is a win is a win is a win. I'll happily take it.
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Daniels expressed worry about where the goal scoring would come from. Seven goals from seven different players sounds like a good start.

Looks like Motte gave up two goals on the first four shots, after that he appeared to settle in.
                  - Tim Horton

Ferris State University

Comment

Hey, y'all. Just checking in to follow the thread and see if of you are coming next month.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Good news, Sergott, Philo and Likens made the jump to the WCHA.
                      This space for sale.

Comment

I think we're looking good thus far, starting 3-2 isn't horrible. I'm also encouraged that the two loses were only by one goal. Williams hasn't received the same kind of offensive support Motte has, but he has looked pretty good between the pipes.

It'd be nice to start the WCHA with two wins down south before coming back to BR for a big series against Bemidji. I'm waiting to see who our conference rival becomes and every weekend has potential!

Go Dawgs!
                        - Tim Horton

Ferris State University

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          I guess that it's tradition that I start this.

Sorry, that's all I got for a title at the moment. It will have to do for now.

I haven't followed the program nearly as much the past couple seasons, but I do have a rough idea what to expect, as some things don't change. We're solid in net with C. J. Motte, and we're going to be fine on the blue line. We're probably a little light on the goal scoring. The discipline will probably be a little better, and we'll be solid on special teams.

As for the new league, I don't know much about the teams from the old WCHA. But if I had to make a guess, we're looking at top 3 and in the running for an at-large berth in the NCAAs. Let's see how wrong I am about that come March.

It's going to be up to you guys to keep this thread going this season. I'm around, but I'm not going to be seeing this team play much this season.

Let's go.
                          I'm guessing you will have a pretty good shot at winning the WCHA this season.

The holdovers from the CCHA (#13 LSSU, UA, NMU and BGSU) and the old WCHA (MTU, UAA, #16 Minnesota State and Bemidji) + UAH are not going to surprise anyone this season. BG is improving, where any of the teams (except for maybe UAH) can/will bite you in their barn. Outside of the two ranked teams, I'd say the talent level in Big Rapids is slightly better than the rest of the pack. In the end, who knows, but I like a team that focuses on goaltending and defense.

I'll have a first hand look in December when the Dawgs come to Yost.

Good luck.

Comment

Until we start scoring 5x5 goals, we're not going to win very many games. If anyone is coming down tomorrow, you'll probably get to see that fall = severe weather season in North Alabama.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

An early head's up and questions for next weekend. I'll be there Saturday for the BSU game (looks like an hour and a half from Traverse City). The family wants to run to Grand Rapids first. Any can't miss attractions in either town? Thanks!
                              Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                              B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                              CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                              ECAC:
                              HEA: UMass
                              NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                              Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Working...
                              X