University of Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs Women's Hockey 2013-14 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs Women's Hockey 2013-14 Season

The season starts off with an Exhibition Game tonight vs Team Japan.

Rumour has it that sushi may be on the menu...then again, maybe not.

First chance to see the 'Dogs new talent. Some holes need to be plugged and the scoring needs to be consistently better than last year's anemic performance...somewhat "ditto" for goaltending.

Re: University of Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs Women's Hockey 2013-14 Season

UMD 6 - Japan 2 in regulation. No scoring in the OT. Japan 3 - UMD 1 in the shoot out! (6 shots each)

Only caught the last half of the third period and saw some nice goals.

Kenyon scored an empty netter at the buzzer to end regulation time and to notch a hat trick. McGovern with an unassisted laser beam top shelf. Huertas with a beauty in the shoot out. And Black got undressed by Osawa? in the shoot out who put on some moves to net one.

From what I saw it was a lot better game than I was anticipating...both sides.
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 09-28-2013, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
      And Black got undressed by Osawa? in the shoot out who put on some moves to net one.
      Osawa must be a shootout ringer. She scored on Leveille, who only allowed one other S.O. goal in 17 tries, she scored in Madison, and she scored in St. Cloud.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Welcome hockey season!!!! Can't express clearly enough how happy it makes me!!!

I thought the Team Japan game was fun. It was pretty special to think of those players coming to the U.S., playing US Div I teams for a solid pre-Olympic schedule. It was a feel-good kind of event.

UMD was especilly slow out of the gate but by the third period looked to have rememered how to play . . .! A lot of new faces on the UMD bench and some old familiar ones (i.e., Julianne Vasicheck). Huertas transfering from Vermont looks to be a solid pick up, McGovern's unassisted goal (mentioned above by Blackbeard) was very nice and the kind of thing UMD needs more of . . . it should be very interesting to see how everyone adapts to D-I WCHA play . . . speed and contact are always the true test. Loving Kenyon as Captain . . . and she played like it on Saturday . . . reminiscent of Tuominen . . . let's hope so.

Good to be back.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          Osawa must be a shootout ringer. She scored on Leveille, who only allowed one other S.O. goal in 17 tries, she scored in Madison, and she scored in St. Cloud.
          I feel like that's indicative of the wider range of talent Team Japan has. I got to see Japan's shooters right in front of me in the shootout at Wisconsin, and I noticed that the two who scored made some nice moves, while those who missed didn't really get close to scoring.

Comment

What a refreshing team to watch. I think they said they had eight different nationalities on the team. Gotta hand it to Shannon Miller, she is great developing the womens game by going after talent from all over the world. Can only make for better hockey in the long run for both Canada and US and the Olympics. Sure beats Johnson coaching boys prospects!!!

Comment

A sweep for UMD with tonight's 6-1 win over UConn.

Some very good looking 3 way passing combinations early...quick and crisp. We'll see how that translates against stiffer opponents next week.

UMD took too many penalties especially against a team that didn't pose a threat.

Attendance last night was 2254!!...thought it was a typo but then remembered that the Stanley Cup was at Amsoil last night and must have been responsible for a decent percentage of that total.

Comment

Agree with you Blackbeard. Attendance was just under 800 on Saturday.nice to see the freshman class contributing strongly this early on.

Comment

Any thoughts on this weekend's games against the team formerly known as the Sioux?? Is it too early for a statement series? Clearly this year's Dogs will be more of a scoring threat than last season . . . . the way they've been attacking the net is sure to translate into more goals . . . Black's experience in net will only help!

Very nice article in today's DNT re: Koll's transfer . . . http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/eve...cle/id/280220/

Go Dogs!!!

Edit: I can't believe Arlan didn't go with the split in the "picks".
                  Last edited by binnyrus; 10-11-2013, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by binnyrus View Post
                    Any thoughts on this weekend's games against the team formerly known as the Sioux??

Nicely edited.
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by binnyrus View Post
                      Edit: I can't believe Arlan didn't go with the split in the "picks".
                      The problem with picking a split is that you have to get the order correct.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

UMD blew a 3-1 lead today.

Goaltending is a problem with this team, as it was last year...scoring would appear, early on, to be stronger this year.

Also a spiffy revamped website this year.
                        Last edited by Blackbeard; 10-13-2013, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Highlights of yesterday's game courtesy of the UND website...on the right hand edge of the page just below the photo of Benzie...

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle...B_OEM_ID=13500

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                            UMD blew a 3-1 lead today.

Goaltending is a problem with this team, as it was last year...scoring would appear, early on, to be stronger this year.
                            Wow! Hard to please...The UMD goalie was main reasons this was as tight a series as it was. Other than 8 minutes of the second period of game two, ND controlled the play. These games would not have been as close if ND could have scored on the PP. Black and ND youth was the difference in my opinion. Duluth has a really nice team that only lacks depth. I've seen three of the top 4 teams play and believe they all have the ability to be in the mix.

Comment

Only saw the third period just after the apparently "flukey" play, according to Hanson, (it had something to do with water behind the UMD goal) that lead to a quick UM goal to start the third period.

The score was quite respectable (1-0) at the end of the second period.

The 'Dogs sure miss Lacquette on the blue line...looked like they had no anchor.

The third period was a real yawner...UMD looked rather disorganized. Apparently UM dominated possession in the first two periods...UMD is going to have to improve in the SOG department.

Comment

Working...
                              X