Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the size of the nets changing in college hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the size of the nets changing in college hockey?

I was watching a Preseason NHL show a few nights ago on one of the MSG channels, and the commentators said that the back and both sides of the nets in the NHL will be reduced by 4" this season. They went on to say that the size of the outside areas of the nets in previous NHL seasons varied from rink-to-rink, but will now become standard as noted. Former Ranger and now commentator, Dave Maloney, remarked that #99 would of had 10,000 points if the change being made this season was in place when The Great One played.

Has anybody else heard about this? Also, will said change be made for college hockey this season? In any event, I see this change resulting in more goals entering and exiting the net quicker and the resulting need for more instant replays.

Thoughts?
    GO SAINTS.

Re: Is the size of the nets changing in college hockey?

Decided to now and reluctantly confirm if this was true. Here's a link on this: http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...ifference.html
    Last edited by Muskieman; 09-25-2013, 10:26 PM.
    GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
      Has anybody else heard about this? Also, will said change be made for college hockey this season? In any event, I see this change resulting in more goals entering and exiting the net quicker and the resulting need for more instant replays.

Thoughts?
      As a goal judge for D-3 and ACHA (with no replay in either case), this has the makings of an absolute fiasco if it comes to pass in NCAA.

Also, for ACHA hockey, I'm assuming they use the same nets as NCAA's, the net size has not changed one bit.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

4" all-around makes a massive difference in both college and the NHL, especially if the junior leagues are not subjected to the change.

I don't believe it, but perhaps the rumblings are there for the NHL given Bettman and the executive board's bleating about smaller nets and pads?

This is unbelievably stupid if true, and despite the "Gretzky's Office" meme, a smaller net would not result in a more interesting game, with today's far better goalie technique, and emphasis on better defense strategies.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          4" all-around makes a massive difference in both college and the NHL, especially if the junior leagues are not subjected to the change.

I don't believe it, but perhaps the rumblings are there for the NHL given Bettman and the executive board's bleating about smaller nets and pads?

This is unbelievably stupid if true, and despite the "Gretzky's Office" meme, a smaller net would not result in a more interesting game, with today's far better goalie technique, and emphasis on better defense strategies.
          Before creating this thread, I intentionally did not confirm what MSG had said was true; then found a thread confirming it. I actually thought that MSG had played an April Fools Day Joke on its listeners in Sept. The change is just plain stupid and in no way will it improve the game. Guess desperate Ranger fans like me (see $$$ that organization has) just want to hear more of, "Matteau, Matteau, Matteau," because wraparounds will be more frequent.
          GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Oh, but American media is demanding more goals!

Comment

I don't think the goalmouth is smaller. It is the back of the net which is smaller and the radius. Just more space behind the cage!
              Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                I don't think the goalmouth is smaller. It is the back of the net which is smaller and the radius. Just more space behind the cage!
                Yeah, shooting the puck on goal the net will look exactly the same. What changes is that there is a bit more room to work behind the net now, and a bit straighter of an angle for forecheckers to take. Defensemen will have a fraction of a second less to get out from behind the cage if they try to use it as a screen for oncoming forecheckers.
                I'd have to think that shots from the point that just miss the net would also be more likely now to rebound off the boards and back in front of the goal, providing a few more second-chance opportunities.

I'm not sure what problem they were trying to fix with this. Will it result in more goals being scored? Maybe. But it seems like a pretty round-about way to get there.

As for the "squaring" of the posts...you got me, I'm stumped.

Comment

Saw them in a pre-season game the other night, and they did look odd. I doubt that they will much of an effect on other levels of hockey, because in most NHL venues, the NHL team is the only team that plays there, and even if a rink wanted to be "just like the NHL", I doubt the NHL nets are readily available or reasonably priced. If the juniors decide it's important to do everything like the NHL, it may start to make a difference over time, because many rinks in which juniors play also have youth hockey leagues and it's unlikely a rink would want to keep track of two sets of nets.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                    Saw them in a pre-season game the other night, and they did look odd. I doubt that they will much of an effect on other levels of hockey, because in most NHL venues, the NHL team is the only team that plays there, and even if a rink wanted to be "just like the NHL", I doubt the NHL nets are readily available or reasonably priced. If the juniors decide it's important to do everything like the NHL, it may start to make a difference over time, because many rinks in which juniors play also have youth hockey leagues and it's unlikely a rink would want to keep track of two sets of nets.
                    Most rinks have "game nets" and "practice nets" for each ice sheet. The "game nets" may only be used for high school or junior games, or they might be available for youth tourney finals or the like. At least that's the way it is for most Minnesota community rinks.

Comment

Working...
                    X