Ohio State vs Toronto Aeros 9/28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State vs Toronto Aeros 9/28

I know this is an exhibition game, but I thought I would get some discussion going. Ohio State is going to be solid on defense this season with a number of defensemen and our goalie, Chelsea Knapp, back. At the other end of the ice, it will be scoring by committee as we have a number of girls back who know how to put the puck in the net. Defenses will not be able to key on any one player. I know what we are up against this season, but I fully expect this group, which has improved each season under Coach Nate Handrahan, to challenge for a spot in the top four of the WCHA. I have not done any scouting on the Toronto Aeros, so anyone who follows Toronto, we invite you to let us know what we can expect this weekend from your team. Safe travels to everyone coming to the game!

Re: Ohio State vs Toronto Aeros 9/28

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    I know this is an exhibition game, but I thought I would get some discussion going. Ohio State is going to be solid on defense this season with a number of defensemen and our goalie, Chelsea Knapp, back. At the other end of the ice, it will be scoring by committee as we have a number of girls back who know how to put the puck in the net. Defenses will not be able to key on any one player. I know what we are up against this season, but I fully expect this group, which has improved each season under Coach Nate Handrahan, to challenge for a spot in the top four of the WCHA. I have not done any scouting on the Toronto Aeros, so anyone who follows Toronto, we invite you to let us know what we can expect this weekend from your team. Safe travels to everyone coming to the game!
    The tilt with the Buckeyes will be the 2nd game of a busy 3 game "U.S. College Tour" that weekend for the Aeros. Playing RIT Fri and Bobby Mo Sun. Interesting to see how they respond. I caught part of a game against Chi. Mission and both teams were playing for keeps. The period or so that I caught was probably the best hockey I saw at Stoney. Have a good one!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
      I have not done any scouting on the Toronto Aeros, so anyone who follows Toronto, we invite you to let us know what we can expect this weekend.
      Aeros are a top 4 PWHL team. They are big and strong especially on D. You shouldn't be able to push them around, but likely can outskate them coming off a close game with RIT. They are well coached and will play hard for the full game regardless of the score. If they stay out of the box, they can keep it respectable.

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
        Aeros are a top 4 PWHL team. They are big and strong especially on D. You shouldn't be able to push them around, but likely can outskate them coming off a close game with RIT. They are well coached and will play hard for the full game regardless of the score. If they stay out of the box, they can keep it respectable.
        Ohio State will win easily. The Aero's are usually a good PWHL team, but they may not be as strong this year as previous years. They have not played RIT yet - game is this Friday so not sure about the reference to RIT above. Playing PWHL teams are a good opportunity for NCAA teams to work on their systems, line combinations and of course use the game as a recruiting tool. The scores PWHL/NCAA D1 games have all been very one sided in recent years. Several PWHL players are 16 with the majority of teams mostly 17 year olds - tough to match up against older, very fit and more experienced players the NCAA has.

Comment

Originally posted by stanleycup View Post
          Ohio State will win easily. The Aero's are usually a good PWHL team, but they may not be as strong this year as previous years. They have not played RIT yet - game is this Friday so not sure about the reference to RIT above. Playing PWHL teams are a good opportunity for NCAA teams to work on their systems, line combinations and of course use the game as a recruiting tool. The scores PWHL/NCAA D1 games have all been very one sided in recent years. Several PWHL players are 16 with the majority of teams mostly 17 year olds - tough to match up against older, very fit and more experienced players the NCAA has.
          "coming off a close game with RIT" = my prediction for the Aero's game the day before the OSU game.
          "can keep it respectable" = not a blow out.

Comment

Sounds like it might be a decent game, at least for a couple periods. With Toronto having a game the night before, the Buckeyes may have more in the tank for the third period. We'll see what happens.

Comment

The Aeros played Princeton and Yale a year ago and lost 4-1 and 2-0 respectively.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                The Aeros played Princeton and Yale a year ago and lost 4-1 and 2-0 respectively.
                ... and Yale played their starting goalie the entire game and the shots were even.

Comment

I hate this, but I wanted to share this with all those coming to the game.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/spo...092513aaa.html

We have a home football game Saturday vs Wisconsin so if you want to actually park near the rink, you will pay the football parking price ($15). I know that is outrageous, but it is what it is. Not much anyone can do about it. One option would be to park at the Ohio State Fairgrounds (Expo Center) and take the COTA bus into campus. I found this information regarding a recent home game. You would want to contact COTA to make sure they are providing this service for this weekend. Might still be less expensive to just pay the $15 to park within walking distance of the ice rink.

http://www.grapevinecolumbus.com/index.php?id=12443

Safe travels, everyone.

Comment

Browsing through our new roster, I notice that Freshman Breanne Grant is an Aeros alum. Adds a little spice to the occasion...

EDIT: The link provided by '86 mentions that Breanne spent three seasons with the Aeros.
                    Last edited by pgb-ohio; 09-26-2013, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      They also played Brown and lost that game 3-1.

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
                        ... coming off a close game with RIT.
                        It wasn't that close. RIT didn't play well for the first half of the game but found their groove in the second. Toronto looked disorganized the entire game, except for a few power plays. Also a little surprising was the amount of screaming coming from the Aeros Assistant Coach. Very un-Aero like. Also both Aero coaches arguing with refs about Icing rule in NCAA.
                        ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Toronto Aeros 2, OSU 1 (OT)
                          (ouch)

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/spo...092813aaa.html
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            Good thing it was just an exhibition game. Sounds like the Bucks had a ton of chances, just didn't bury the puck. The story says they had seven power plays and outshot Toronto 26-12. They also won face-offs 32-21. Hockey can be a tough game when you do that many things right and somehow lose. I am sure Coach Nate and his staff will get things corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              I just saw the score myself and said "Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?" Anyone have any insight into the Aero goals? Knapp has been inconsistent, with flashes of greatness and times of struggle.

OSU's next opponent, Merchyhurst, dropped their first game in Mankato but split the series with a win today.
                              Last edited by CrazyDave; 09-28-2013, 11:01 PM.
                              Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                              Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                              Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X