Wisconsin Badgers 2013-2014 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin Badgers 2013-2014 Season

It's game day, so time for the season thread to begin. Not exactly sure what to expect tonight, but looking forward to seeing the new players and getting an idea what the lines might be for the regular season.

Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2013-2014 Season

http://www.uwbadgers.com/blog/2013/0...continues.html

Love seeing a majority of the Team Japan flashing the W sign in that photo.

Comment

More people than I would have expected here. It's starting to look like a Friday afternoon game.

Comment

The music selection is better on average than last year. Some are "meh," but some are better suited for hockey.
        Last edited by WiscDC; 09-23-2013, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Let me guess, though... the person running the live blog doesn't have any hockey knowledge. Bars instead of pipes? Goalie "box"? Not mentioning penalties and power plays? C'mon...

Badgers lead 1-0 midway through the 2nd.

Edit: Packer makes it 2-0 with 6:58 left in the period.
          Last edited by CrazyDave; 09-23-2013, 08:12 PM.
          Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
          Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
          Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Badgers win 3-0 with goals from Josephs, Packer and Ammerman. Crowd was announced at over 1,000 and was bigger than I expected. Several members of the Badger men's team were there for at least the first period as was Phil with his signs.

Wisconsin controlled play for most of the first and second period, but seemed a little gassed in the third. Japan had their best chances in the third. Badgers rolled out 4 lines liberally all game. Rigsby and Desbiens split the game in nets. The only players that didn't play (unless I completely missed them) were Kim Drake and Jenny Ryan.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
              Badgers win 3-0 with goals from Josephs, Packer and Ammerman. Crowd was announced at over 1,000 and was bigger than I expected. Several members of the Badger men's team were there for at least the first period as was Phil with his signs.

Wisconsin controlled play for most of the first and second period, but seemed a little gassed in the third. Japan had their best chances in the third. Badgers rolled out 4 lines liberally all game. Rigsby and Desbiens split the game in nets. The only players that didn't play (unless I completely missed them) were Kim Drake and Jenny Ryan.
              Definitely more than I thought. The crowd at the end is what I expected for the whole thing.

Desbiens seemed to like playing the puck out of the net. The Badgers definitely controlled much of the action, but Japan did fairly well defensively given that fact, coming up with stops when the Badgers were just one more pass, move, or shot away from an easy goal. I expected more goals from the Badgers, but Japan didn't get many (or any) legitimate scoring threats, so I think it's fair to say Wisconsin was in control.

On the shootout - I saw the coaches laughing at one point, so yeah, it was purely for fun. That said, I'm surprised no Badger scored. It seemed to be a bunch of close misses from the Badgers. Japan had a couple of nice moves (I specifically remember the second goal over a sprawling Desbiens's right pad), but those who didn't score seemed to run out of room and/or get easily shut down. On one of their misses, once the shooter got a little below the hash marks, I said, "there's no way she makes this" (yes, I had time to say that sentence) because Desbiens forced her to run way out of room.

I know the Japanese players at least saw and looked at my sign. Whether they made the connection that it referred to the goalie and it's specifically the fact that the straining device has holes that is the focus of the jeer...I may never know.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                Definitely more than I thought. The crowd at the end is what I expected for the whole thing.

Desbiens seemed to like playing the puck out of the net. The Badgers definitely controlled much of the action, but Japan did fairly well defensively given that fact, coming up with stops when the Badgers were just one more pass, move, or shot away from an easy goal. I expected more goals from the Badgers, but Japan didn't get many (or any) legitimate scoring threats, so I think it's fair to say Wisconsin was in control.

On the shootout - I saw the coaches laughing at one point, so yeah, it was purely for fun. That said, I'm surprised no Badger scored. It seemed to be a bunch of close misses from the Badgers. Japan had a couple of nice moves (I specifically remember the second goal over a sprawling Desbiens's right pad), but those who didn't score seemed to run out of room and/or get easily shut down. On one of their misses, once the shooter got a little below the hash marks, I said, "there's no way she makes this" (yes, I had time to say that sentence) because Desbiens forced her to run way out of room.

I know the Japanese players at least saw and looked at my sign. Whether they made the connection that it referred to the goalie and it's specifically the fact that the straining device has holes that is the focus of the jeer...I may never know.
                Was your sign Japanese for "sieve"? I ended up sitting with my daughter in the section to your right from the second period on. My son had his morph suit on and his freind had some yellow pokeman thing on. I had the jersey with the full Bucky Badger on. Next time I'll attempt to say hey.

I thought the fake OT and the shootout were really neat bonuses for the fans.

As for the game your analysis is right on. UW outshot them 2-1, out faceoffed them 3-1. UW did have a speed advantage, but they played their system pretty well and didn't any clean odd gal rushes. Thier goalie is pretty good as well. I think in the shootout the UW gals should have tried to go high on her.

I thought the OT pipe shot hit the inside of the net, but we'll never know.

It was just awesome to be back at the rink.

And a big thanks for the tip on the underpass walk to the rink, that was pretty slick to park way down on that end of the lot and take that to the west entrance. My daughter who has some physical issues appreciates it most of all.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I was impressed by the crowd, although it certainly cleared out by the 3rd period, and it sure was nice to be back watching some hockey.

The play itself was very sloppy, especially in the 1st. I'm hard pressed to think of a game where I've seen so many pucks just slide under sticks and missed, unpressured, passes. Not a big concern on a pre-season tune-up like this, but I'd expect to see some extra puck handling drills in practice the next few weeks.

What does concern me is the lack of anyone who can really put away the puck. The Badgers controlled the game from a possession standpoint, but really struggled to get quality shots. They had about 50 shots, but few were real dangerous ones. Certainly give credit to Japan's goalie too, as she did a solid job, but that seems like a big problem from last year that could be even worse this year.

Finally, props to DC for following through on his promise to sing "French Canada," although I still have it stuck in my head this morning. Scott's a dick.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    Was your sign Japanese for "sieve"? I ended up sitting with my daughter in the section to your right from the second period on. My son had his morph suit on and his freind had some yellow pokeman thing on. I had the jersey with the full Bucky Badger on. Next time I'll attempt to say hey.
                    Yes, 篩 means "sieve." I don't know Japanese, but I used jisho.org, and Google Images verified the result. It was a little bit into the game when I was asked, "why didn't you bring a picture of Godzilla?" I wish I had thought of that before. I remember the Pikachu suit.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                      LOL...I doubt they made the connection and if they did, I doubt they are ready for the abuse that Badger fans can dish out.
                      A Badger living in Buckeye country.
                      Originally posted by MadCityRich
                      He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                      Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                      Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
                      Originally posted by Timothy A
                      I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                      "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Comment on the new food vendor....the nacho cheese reservoir is too small to fit a chip in unless you go diagonal with it and then you can only dip the chip and not scoop, not terribly user friendly. They also closed at the 13:00 mark of the 3rd period with and OT and a shoot-out coming up.

Desbiens played decent, though as WiscDC stated she seemed to wander off a bit at times and there was one play where she was too slow is reacting to a centering pass that did not connect.

For the Fr, I thought Nurse stood out and had good chemistry w/ McKibbon.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Comment on the new food vendor....the nacho cheese reservoir is too small to fit a chip in unless you go diagonal with it and then you can only dip the chip and not scoop, not terribly user friendly. They also closed at the 13:00 mark of the 3rd period with and OT and a shoot-out coming up.

Desbiens played decent, though as WiscDC stated she seemed to wander off a bit at times and there was one play where she was too slow is reacting to a centering pass that did not connect.

For the Fr, I thought Nurse stood out and had good chemistry w/ McKibbon.
                          She's Darnell Nurse's cousin and Donovan McNabb's niece. I know that doesn't really mean anything, but I thought it was interesting.

Comment

Comment on the new food vendor....the nacho cheese reservoir is too small to fit a chip in unless you go diagonal with it and then you can only dip the chip and not scoop, not terribly user friendly.
                            Best comment EVER.

Comment

How do you pronounce "Ann-Renée Desbiens?" Especially "Desbiens" - I feel like there are a lot of silent letters in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X