X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2013/14: Sunny, with a slight chance of drivel

Originally posted by drshoen View Post
    Best news of all - 6 ECAC teams in top 20 (and 3 more getting votes), not bad for a lousy conference.
    I agree. The problem is that none of the teams are ranked really high with QU the highest at #6.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      I guess we will just have to be in disagreement on this one but it appears neither of us felt this call was justified for one reason or another.
      I will withhold further response until I have an opportunity to meet you in person some day (over a vodka gimlet perhaps?).

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
        I will withhold further response until I have an opportunity to meet you in person some day (over a vodka gimlet perhaps?).
        Absolutley! If you are planning a trip to the Princeton game let us know. (Just bring some Harry and David Royal Riviera Pears with you)
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Before sat I was gonna say refs had been better lol
          I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

The goal horns compilation from last season has now been posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_edZe5aJBOw

It spans 9 minutes. If Haggerty keeps up this pace, I wonder how long the next one will be
            Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
              The goal horns compilation from last season has now been posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_edZe5aJBOw

It spans 9 minutes. If Haggerty keeps up this pace, I wonder how long the next one will be
              It's been up there for over three months now, but I didn't mind watching it again

And they averaged 3.26 goals per game at home last year, they're currently at 4.6. At this rate there'll be about 13 and a third minutes of goals by the end of the season

Comment

I just watched the Colgate game in the RPI-TV archives to try to decide if the three majors were justified. While the game was going on things happened too fast for me to form any real opinion. Also the Schroeder penalty was too near where I was sitting. Anyway, in my uneducated opinion the Curadi and Schroeder penalties were probably correct although I am not sure that the latter warranted a misconduct also. The Miller penalty seemed unwarranted or maybe should have been a minor. The Colgate player seemed just as responsible as Miller for it being a kneeing because he ducked causing Miller to hurdle him.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by rsfs04 View Post
                  It's been up there for over three months now, but I didn't mind watching it again

And they averaged 3.26 goals per game at home last year, they're currently at 4.6. At this rate there'll be about 13 and a third minutes of goals by the end of the season
                  I think a "follow" of the RPI TV channel on YouTube is in order...

Thanks for letting me know.
                  Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    I just watched the Colgate game in the RPI-TV archives to try to decide if the three majors were justified. While the game was going on things happened too fast for me to form any real opinion. Also the Schroeder penalty was too near where I was sitting. Anyway, in my uneducated opinion the Curadi and Schroeder penalties were probably correct although I am not sure that the latter warranted a misconduct also. The Miller penalty seemed unwarranted or maybe should have been a minor. The Colgate player seemed just as responsible as Miller for it being a kneeing because he ducked causing Miller to hurdle him.
                    I went back and re-examined five hits on the weekend that were brought into question at one point or another due to the influence they had on the gameplay.

Gotovets on Rogic: This one probably could have gone either way. It's a penalty to be sure, and as Kurt said on the air on Saturday, the referees, if it's 50-50, they're supposed to be calling major penalties. I thought it should have been a major at the time and still think that would have been the better call.

Haggerty on Ryan: Zero question here. Obvious charge and completely unnecessary. Haggerty was trying to stop the shot, but he was too far away once Ryan began shooting to make any impact and he should have known that.

Curadi on Freeman: I think this hit really compares very closely with the Gotovets hit, and could have gone either way, not really much of a problem with the major here, certainly a good call that it wasn't also a game misconduct.

Miller on Tylor Spink: Both players look like they're trying to avoid contact. Certainly not worthy of a game misconduct and probably only a minor if it's even that. There was a reason neither Kurt nor I saw this penalty and that's pretty much the reason right there.

Schroeder on Corcoran: I was shocked that this one actually got the most blowback from fans both at the game and directing complaints to WaP's twitter feed. While Corcoran put himself in a bad position, Schroeder's hit was fairly reckless, especially considering that it was at the bench area. Certainly warranted a major, I'd lean toward the game misconduct being appropriate as well.
                    Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

The biggest issue I have with the Corcoran hit is that it seemed to be an abuse of a point of emphasis. We saw this a few years ago in Minnesota at the Icebreaker. One of our players was going for a check, and the receiving player at the last second, while our player was clearly in stride, turned the body in order to draw a major and game misconduct for the sole reason that "hitting from behind" happened to be a point of emphasis. For these two years, "contact to the head" (CTH) is a point of emphasis. In reviewing the play, you can clearly see that Corcoran lost a blade edge as he dropped to a knee, and Zach was in stride. Obviously blade edge losses happen, so upon further review I would not press the possibility of unsportsmanlike conduct as I would in the previously described play. However, it was an incidental CTH as opposed to the CTH emphasized in the rule book, and in my opinion should only be deserving of a minor for either boarding or the roughing the referee described.

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
                        I went back and re-examined five hits on the weekend that were brought into question at one point or another due to the influence they had on the gameplay.

Gotovets on Rogic: This one probably could have gone either way. It's a penalty to be sure, and as Kurt said on the air on Saturday, the referees, if it's 50-50, they're supposed to be calling major penalties. I thought it should have been a major at the time and still think that would have been the better call.

Haggerty on Ryan: Zero question here. Obvious charge and completely unnecessary. Haggerty was trying to stop the shot, but he was too far away once Ryan began shooting to make any impact and he should have known that.

Curadi on Freeman: I think this hit really compares very closely with the Gotovets hit, and could have gone either way, not really much of a problem with the major here, certainly a good call that it wasn't also a game misconduct.

Miller on Tylor Spink: Both players look like they're trying to avoid contact. Certainly not worthy of a game misconduct and probably only a minor if it's even that. There was a reason neither Kurt nor I saw this penalty and that's pretty much the reason right there.

Schroeder on Corcoran: I was shocked that this one actually got the most blowback from fans both at the game and directing complaints to WaP's twitter feed. While Corcoran put himself in a bad position, Schroeder's hit was fairly reckless, especially considering that it was at the bench area. Certainly warranted a major, I'd lean toward the game misconduct being appropriate as well.
                        Thinking about penalties note this box score from the Friday BSU-OSU women's game. (Yes, I wrote women's.) Each team was only able to dress 10 skaters for Saturday's rematch which ended in a tie. For those who like catfights , here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66ZSIgJkQ-o. Interestingly I first found reference to this in a thread on an OJHL board.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Thinking about penalties note this box score from the Friday BSU-OSU women's game. (Yes, I wrote women's.) Each team was only able to dress 10 skaters for Saturday's rematch which ended in a tie. For those who like catfights , here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66ZSIgJkQ-o. Interestingly I first found reference to this in a thread on an OJHL board.
                          The reason the kneeing penalty was called is because that type of play, in open ice like that, is the most dangerous (not life threatening like boarding, but knee surgery inducing) there is in hockey. IMO that was the most obvious of the three, if it gets seen by a decent ref, it should get called every single time.

Comment

Where is the Fabulous Moolah when we need her?

Comment

I've tried to look back and so far had no success-when was the last time we were called for 3 major penalties in a game with the other team not receiving any corresponding penalty (matching majors)? I am pretty sure it happened-but no luck finding a game like that yet.

Comment

Originally posted by hrbrendan View Post
                                The reason the kneeing penalty was called is because that type of play, in open ice like that, is the most dangerous (not life threatening like boarding, but knee surgery inducing) there is in hockey. IMO that was the most obvious of the three, if it gets seen by a decent ref, it should get called every single time.
                                I agree that it is dangerous, but IMHO Spink was a large part of the cause of the incident.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X