X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2013/14: Sunny, with a slight chance of drivel

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Wow. If that's what he thought about Hertl, I'd hope he'd have similar thoughts re: Rangers' D and Biron.
    Lighten up Oatsie.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

SA was on Slap Schotts today http://www.foxsports980.com/media/po...1013-23823448/.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The record has its annual previews on line. Ed Weaver was working hard.

RPI Hockey: Jason Kasdorf anchors Engineers' expectations http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory
        RPI Hockey: Meet the Engineers — Player capsules http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory
        RPI Hockey: Depth, talent, experience adds up to contender http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory
        RPI Hockey: Zach Schroeder more than anxious to skate in opener http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory
        RPI Hockey: Together or not, N-H-L line remains united http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory
        RPI Hockey: Freshmen talented, but may have to be patient http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory
        RPI Hockey: Plenty of contenders for ECAC title http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory

I apologize if I messed up any of the links.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by johnk View Post
          Not sure I understand. Would it be better for them if it was 2 trips to Boston and one in New Hampshire? Two of them are great non-league matchups and one is a league game set by the ECAC. IMO one of the best schedules in many years and better is yet to come.
          I think his complaint is that, as a fan, making three trips to Boston in three weekends is tough to do. Were it, say, three trips in as many months to play the same teams, I don't think there would have been any complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by JCrawford View Post
            I think his complaint is that, as a fan, making three trips to Boston in three weekends is tough to do. Were it, say, three trips in as many months to play the same teams, I don't think there would have been any complaints.
            Understood, but that doesn't change johnk's statement that one is set by the ECAC and two are fantastic OOC games where you say "Give us a time and place and we'll be there," no questions asked. You don't turn down a game at BC or BU just because it's not the same weekend you're playing the other. Especially when Boston is less than three hours from the HFH.
            Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
              "Give us a time and place and we'll be there," no questions asked. You don't turn down a game at BC or BU just because it's not the same weekend you're playing the other. Especially when Boston is less than three hours from the HFH.
              I agree. Additionally, I think there's something to be said for not playing BC & BU on the same weekend.

I have Sunday commitments (surprise!) but for posters who may be up for the trip, BC is not that difficult. (I've attended a number of lectures there over the years. You're not dealing with the traffic you'd run into going downtown to BU.) BC's campus is in Newton, adjacent to Brighton... just west of the city. You're only a few miles south of the Pike. On a Sunday, there is some street parking available (read the meters carefully, I recall that there's no charge on Sundays) and there are on-campus parking garages a short walk from the Conte Forum.

Tickets should be available... the Pats are playing the Saints at home at 4:25 pm... the Sox are hosting the Tigers at 8. The walk-up crowd will not be strong... it is a late Sunday afternoon.

You can get good directions to BC and access to campus maps/for the on-campus parking and the Conte Forum at www.bc.edu (top right can corner of the home page).
              Here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                Not sure I understand. Would it be better for them if it was 2 trips to Boston and one in New Hampshire? Two of them are great non-league matchups and one is a league game set by the ECAC. IMO one of the best schedules in many years and better is yet to come.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was talking about my personal travel schedule, not the team's. Every season I travel to the Boston area at least once to watch an RPI road game. Having three road games there in four weeks curtails my options; I can't go that frequently. I'll be there tomorrow though. I'll be one of the several dozen people wearing an RPI sweatshirt.
                Last edited by FreshFish; 10-12-2013, 12:20 PM.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Nuptial congratulations, realet.

Comment

Originally posted by fr joe View Post
                    I agree. Additionally, I think there's something to be said for not playing BC & BU on the same weekend.

I have Sunday commitments (surprise!) but for posters who may be up for the trip, BC is not that difficult. (I've attended a number of lectures there over the years. You're not dealing with the traffic you'd run into going downtown to BU.) BC's campus is in Newton, adjacent to Brighton... just west of the city. You're only a few miles south of the Pike. On a Sunday, there is some street parking available (read the meters carefully, I recall that there's no charge on Sundays) and there are on-campus parking garages a short walk from the Conte Forum.

Tickets should be available... the Pats are playing the Saints at home at 4:25 pm... the Sox are hosting the Tigers at 8. The walk-up crowd will not be strong... it is a late Sunday afternoon.

You can get good directions to BC and access to campus maps/for the on-campus parking and the Conte Forum at www.bc.edu (top right can corner of the home page).
                    There are no meter fees on Sunday. I disagree with your comment regarding BC's rink location. It is easier to go to BU, Northeastern or Harvard. Chestnut Hill is in a section of town that requires navigating a lot of neighborhood streets whereas the other 3 arenas are located right off of the main roads of town and only a few blocks from a Mass Pike exit. Free parking is another story of course as BC certainly has more neighborhood spaces than the others. One other plus for BC is that it is relatively close to Buff's pub which has the best wings in town (although still not as good as what all of upstate NY has to offer).
                    Last edited by jmhusker; 10-12-2013, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Congratulations to Coach Appert on his 100th win - a nice solid one, too!

Two more wins for the program to hit 1000!
                      Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey

Comment

• The boys looked out of sync at times today (passes into skates, behind the target or just out of reach) yet still managed to soundly trounce a team that beat #1 the night before. Of course, SHU, skating 10 freshman and using their #2 goalie, isn't really that good, but it was a nice way to start the season. They'll have to pick things up a bit tomorrow against BC.

There were a few highlights. Zalewski's goal was as close to a pure no defense passing drill as possible, with the puck passed back and forth across the slot repeatedly until he finally shot the puck and put the poor goalie out his misery.

I love Mark Miller. His goal was just the way you'd expect given his 110% all the time approach. He just went hard to the net and created chaos until Wood could get the puck across.

Haggerty shows signs of becoming the kind of goal-a-game gunner this team needs. It was a nice homecoming for him.

The team defense was solid with only a few odd-man rushes all game. I also love Kasdorf's minimalist approach - he makes few wasted moves. Although their styles are different because goaltending has evolved, his efficiency is the closest thing I've seen to Neil Little's in 20 years.

P.S. I still wonder why the game was in Bridgeport. SHU didn't schedule any other games there this season. Could it be that Seth, knowing WBA will host the East Regional this year, made it a requirement before agreeing to play a home and home?
                        Last edited by rpi82; 10-12-2013, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                          There are no meter fees on Sunday. I disagree with your comment regarding BC's rink location. It is easier to go to BU, Northeastern or Harvard. Chestnut Hill is in a section of town that requires navigating a lot of neighborhood streets whereas the other 3 arenas are located right off of the main roads of town and only a few blocks from a Mass Pike exit. Free parking is another story of course as BC certainly has more neighborhood spaces than the others. One other plus for BC is that it is relatively close to Buff's pub which has the best wings in town (although still not as good as what all of upstate NY has to offer).
                          I'm not sure if you're serious or not but BC sits between Beacon and Comm Ave and has Route 9 right behind the back section. You'd have to go way out of your way to "navigate" on a "neighborhood street" to get to BC from most major points of arrival into that area (128, Mass Pike, Rt9). When it comes to going to a hockey game, there is zero need for parking on neighborhood spaces as BC has plenty of parking on campus for these weekend games (weeknight games with classes would be a much different story) either in the lots near the mods or the 7 level garage across from the mod parking lot.

Expect an RPI victory tomorrow.
                          Originally posted by reBlur
                          the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                            I'm not sure if you're serious or not but BC sits between Beacon and Comm Ave and has Route 9 right behind the back section. You'd have to go way out of your way to "navigate" on a "neighborhood street" to get to BC from most major points of arrival into that area (128, Mass Pike, Rt9). When it comes to going to a hockey game, there is zero need for parking on neighborhood spaces as BC has plenty of parking on campus for these weekend games (weeknight games with classes would be a much different story) either in the lots near the mods or the 7 level garage across from the mod parking lot.

Expect an RPI victory tomorrow.
                            I'm serious - those are primary avenues but starting out from Kenmore square for instance you need to get through a number of traffic lights before you finally get to Chestnut Hill. BU, also on Comm ave, is much, much easier. Northeastern, is an easy drive from the prudential exit off of the Pike straight up Huntington Ave. Harvard is very quick from the Pike exit at Cambridge Street which is also pretty close to Agganis. I'm not aware of a way to get to Chestnut hill that is faster than any of those 3.

The original post stated that BC was easier to get to than the other 3 placed. My experience has been that it is the least easy to get to of the four. I have to admit that my history on this has been while living on mission hill or in the south end of Boston. Both of those spots were also extremely easy to get to off of the Pike by the same Prudential exit. Driving through Brookline, Newton and Cambridge have never been favorite endeavors of mine. Lots of lights and often slow drivers and Chestnut Hill tends to be pretty slow if there is much going on (like a game). That's what i think of when driving out to BC. It's all perspective in the end.
                            Last edited by jmhusker; 10-12-2013, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Ed Weaver's article on the SHU game http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                                That BC interruption is an echo chamber of how awesome BC is. When the idea of RPI becoming the 12th member of Hockey East came up they has some rude comments about the Tute. Hope the boys are flying Sun. afternoon. The Mrs. won't let me go and I am not happy.
                                Hmm. BCI has two hockey writers and we both endorsed the idea of RPI to Hockey East and stated clearly we would have preferred them to Notre Dame or UConn. I assume you must be referring to a commenter who left a comment on one of the posts. We can't be responsible for the opinions of everyone who reads our site (if we were, we might be in jail by now...)

Our Q&A with Without a Peer where they answered our questions is now up live on the front page.
                                Last edited by joegrav; 10-13-2013, 08:10 AM.
                                BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                                -
                                Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Working...
                                X