X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2013/14: Sunny, with a slight chance of drivel

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    OK-we win our exhibition game. A little discussion-how did everyone feel the freshmen played? What should be the defensive pairings? Who looked like they need a bit more time to get ready and who looked like they were really ready to start the real season?
    My three biggest takeaways:

1) There are are lot of forwards on this team who could "break-out" and be the clear cut top guy, it looked to me tonight like it might be Zalewski. From the get go, getting the penalty shot, scoring the penalty, and everything after, he looked like the best player on the ice. Looks like he might have taken his game to the next level.

2) It was great to have Schroeder back out there. Constant back checking and pure hustle, he has offensive talent seen by his assist tonight and 12 points in his freshman season. I'll find it very interesting to where Seth puts him in the lineup, he could fit well on any line in my opinion.

3) Reno looked like he might need some time to adjust. He started and tripped on his first shift, clear sign of some jitters. Much like Bradley last year, might need a month or two to acclimate to college, especially because he's coming from high school hockey. Of the forwards, Wood was the one who made an impression for me. Being in the dirty areas, and not afraid to use his body to get where he wanted to be. Got into a tussle at the end, probably annoyed the other team one too many times during the game. Would love to see him on the fourth line with Miller and Rogic/Fulton during the year. I didn't really notice DeVito or Bourbonnais during the game.

And of course, this is just and exhibition game and should be taken with a grain of salt. Should be good to get some real games next weekend.
    Last edited by rsfs04; 10-06-2013, 01:29 AM.

Comment

goals are up.... http://www.rpiathletics.com/
      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Tinordi filled Lee's former role admirably tonight in all situations. I would love to see Wood grab Tinordi's slot on the energy line. I was a lot more comfortable with the 4-1 PP tonight and McGowan. Not so hot about Hampton taking Bradley's spot on the second PP unit, but he'll probably earn that back in practice, as the young'ins needed a chance to play. I wasn't too hot on Bourbonnais' play in juniors (all two periods I saw) and really didn't see much different out there tonight. I have a feeling he'll be like a Travis Fulton from last year, learning the ropes and eventually earning himself one of the 18 slots on game day (given Appert has been known to go XF or XD once in a while). DeVito the same bruiser type; he'll be tough competition for a slot on the energy line. Don't know if he'll earn it right away (as Coach said, in the first month or two, the frosh are buying into the process), but it wouldn't surprise me. Bubela and Zalewski still have that great chemistry out there.

On D, wow does Curadi have some confidence with the puck now. Also great work by who we've seen already. I'll echo what was previously said about Reno.

I like what I see. Hopefully Higgs heals up and is good to go.

Comment

Today is 6 October 2013. There are -1 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 5 October 2013 for the start of next season.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by rsfs04 View Post
            My three biggest takeaways:

1) There are are lot of forwards on this team who could "break-out" and be the clear cut top guy, it looked to me tonight like it might be Zalewski. From the get go, getting the penalty shot, scoring the penalty, and everything after, he looked like the best player on the ice. Looks like he might have taken his game to the next level.

2) It was great to have Schroeder back out there. Constant back checking and pure hustle, he has offensive talent seen by his assist tonight and 12 points in his freshman season. I'll find it very interesting to where Seth puts him in the lineup, he could fit well on any line in my opinion.

3) Reno looked like he might need some time to adjust. He started and tripped on his first shift, clear sign of some jitters. Much like Bradley last year, might need a month or two to acclimate to college, especially because he's coming from high school hockey. Of the forwards, Wood was the one who made an impression for me. Being in the dirty areas, and not afraid to use his body to get where he wanted to be. Got into a tussle at the end, probably annoyed the other team one too many times during the game. Would love to see him on the fourth line with Miller and Rogic/Fulton during the year. I didn't really notice DeVito or Bourbonnais during the game.

And of course, this is just and exhibition game and should be taken with a grain of salt. Should be good to get some real games next weekend.
            I agree with all of that. but my take away from this game was Haggerty's power play goal. It was like watching Polacek or Pirri converting the exact same play. The shot was a laser. I am sure we will see a lot more of that this season. The play in general on the power play looked very good.
            And the overall team speed was impressive.
            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
            Benjamin Franklin
            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              Today is 6 October 2013. There are -1 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 5 October 2013 for the start of next season.

or you could say that there are six days until the October 12 regular season opener...
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Mark Miller is going to be a great college hockey player. He is fearless. Mike Z is everything we'd thought he'd be. Kazzie was well... Kazzie. Great luxury to have Scott backing him up.
                "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Our great equipment manager did on awesome job on the new design on the sweaters. Notice how quick he picks a stick off the rack after one of our guys breaks one and gets it to him. Big man can move quick when he wants. Great job on Unis D-Man!!!! I love em!!!!
                  "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Tinordi filled Lee's former role admirably tonight in all situations. I would love to see Wood grab Tinordi's slot on the energy line. I was a lot more comfortable with the 4-1 PP tonight and McGowan. Not so hot about Hampton taking Bradley's spot on the second PP unit, but he'll probably earn that back in practice, as the young'ins needed a chance to play. I wasn't too hot on Bourbonnais' play in juniors (all two periods I saw) and really didn't see much different out there tonight. I have a feeling he'll be like a Travis Fulton from last year, learning the ropes and eventually earning himself one of the 18 slots on game day (given Appert has been known to go XF or XD once in a while). DeVito the same bruiser type; he'll be tough competition for a slot on the energy line. Don't know if he'll earn it right away (as Coach said, in the first month or two, the frosh are buying into the process), but it wouldn't surprise me. Bubela and Zalewski still have that great chemistry out there.

On D, wow does Curadi have some confidence with the puck now. Also great work by who we've seen already. I'll echo what was previously said about Reno.

I like what I see. Hopefully Higgs heals up and is good to go.
                    I might be wrong, but isn't Wood a little small for the checking/energy line? He seemed to me to be more of a finesse player-- I was most impressed with his laser one-timers (with no stopping of the puck!) from right outside the slot.
                    Also, I'm back in section 16 for another season and I hope to lurk a bit less and post a bit more
                    Season ticket holder since 2007. I BELIEVE IN SETH APPERT.

Comment

TU article about Kasdorf and his marriage http://www.timesunion.com/sports/art...od-4872867.php.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                        Our great equipment manager did on awesome job on the new design on the sweaters. Notice how quick he picks a stick off the rack after one of our guys breaks one and gets it to him. Big man can move quick when he wants. Great job on Unis D-Man!!!! I love em!!!!
                        Don't you just think we could do with about one less horizntal stripe? Sort of looked a bit like a red and white bumble bee at times. But then again, i was always a big fan of the swarm and would not mind a campaign to bring back the bee(buzz buzz)
                        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                          agree on Dana but the new uni's look like Albany Academy. Not a fan.
                          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by NBinks View Post
                            I might be wrong, but isn't Wood a little small for the checking/energy line? He seemed to me to be more of a finesse player-- I was most impressed with his laser one-timers (with no stopping of the puck!) from right outside the slot.
                            Also, I'm back in section 16 for another season and I hope to lurk a bit less and post a bit more
                            That didn't stop Johnny Rogic from getting on the energy line. His size is very misleading, though. From yesterday's game, as well as what I saw him do in juniors, he is one tough little cookie, and opposition best not mess with him. His goal from yesterday was something he did in juniors (although it's good to see he now puts it in). I remember expecting to see a lot from DeVito and Bourbonnais when I went to watch that, and left that rink in Lincoln knowing that Appert found a real gem in Wood.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                              Really - I love them as a change-up. How can you move away from the "RPI" across the sweater though ? Please just dont bring back "Rensselaer" or "Engineers".

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post

Someone has to pay the fat contact OGC got to stay here....hence the new Uni's that fans will buy.
                                Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Working...
                                X