Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016-2017 Division I Commitments

Northeastern
    Andrea Renner..................F..................(CYA).. ..................Illinois

Re: 2016-2017 Division I Commitments

She wouldn't happen to be a '96, would she?
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
      She wouldn't happen to be a '96, would she?
      She is a '98 birth year and is on CYA's U16 team this year.

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
        She is a '98 birth year and is on CYA's U16 team this year.
        ...and she has committed already??? That is so ridiculous that coaches are acting this early. She is just entering grade 10 for crying out loud.

Will this policy end or should someone start a 2017-2018 thread?
        ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
          ...and she has committed already??? That is so ridiculous that coaches are acting this early. She is just entering grade 10 for crying out loud.

Will this policy end or should someone start a 2017-2018 thread?

Snowball effect. Thank the U18 World Championships. Used to be the odd mid-junior year commit, with the bulk happening from just before the senior year contact date to NLI day, and then the late signings. Now the bulk are happening in junior year with a small percentage bracketing as sophs or seniors and PGs. Nature of the beast that is college athletics, particularly where scholarships are involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
            Snowball effect. Thank the U18 World Championships. Used to be the odd mid-junior year commit, with the bulk happening from just before the senior year contact date to NLI day, and then the late signings. Now the bulk are happening in junior year with a small percentage bracketing as sophs or seniors and PGs. Nature of the beast that is college athletics, particularly where scholarships are involved.
            This seems to be the second year where Grade 10 committments are occuring this frequently. It will be interesing to see in the 2015-2016 season, how many of these early,early commits actually end up attending the school in which the have committed. On top of that, it will be even more interesting to see who initiates the break-ups.

Will we ever get that information?
            ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
              On top of that, it will be even more interesting to see who initiates the break-ups. ... Will we ever get that information?
              Definitely not from the school given they are not permitted to comment about recruits until they receive a signed NLI.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

What does this have to do with the U-18 World Championships? There are only a select 22 players that are chosen for the USA U-18 team. The team that competed against Canada in the summer series in Lake Placid was mostly made up of '96 birth year girls - 14 of them I believe. And I believe that most of those '96's on that team that are seniors this year are the only ones verbally committed to a college at this time. Your "Thank the U18 World Championships" comment makes no sense to me. Any girl can committ whenever she wants-- It doesn't mean a free ticket to the U-18 team!!
                Originally posted by Hux View Post

Comment

Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
                  What does this have to do with the U-18 World Championships? There are only a select 22 players that are chosen for the USA U-18 team. The team that competed against Canada in the summer series in Lake Placid was mostly made up of '96 birth year girls - 14 of them I believe. And I believe that most of those '96's on that team that are seniors this year are the only ones verbally committed to a college at this time. Your "Thank the U18 World Championships" comment makes no sense to me. Any girl can committ whenever she wants-- It doesn't mean a free ticket to the U-18 team!!
                  I believe Hux means ... Before the U18 series, players would not commit as early. But with the U18 series in place, both HC & USA hockey identify players earlier which therefor Colleges will offer earlier.

Comment

There are players from the U-18 series this year that just started their Junior year, but have already verbally committed to schools.
                    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

There are currently only 3 juniors committed from the USA U-18 team. As I said, most are seniors. Also, most of the committs posted on the 2015-2016 thread are girls that attended National Camp and were NOT chosen to go the the U-18 festival. Seems to me that the real recruiting ground for most of the colleges is at the NDC's.
                      Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                      There are players from the U-18 series this year that just started their Junior year, but have already verbally committed to schools.

Comment

There are currently only 3 juniors committed from the USA U-18 team. As I said, most are seniors. Also, most of the committs posted on the 2015-2016 thread are girls that attended National Camp and were NOT chosen to go the the U-18 festival. Seems to me that the real recruiting ground for most of the colleges is at the NDC's.
                        Agreed, but the NDC's stated goal is to identify kids for the national teams - ie., as early now as the U18 team. i think this is what Hux was alluding to.

Don't forget, many (if not most) of the elite players receive numerous offers now as sophomores. Most just choose not to commit until their junior year or don't make the commitment pubic.

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
                          Agreed, but the NDC's stated goal is to identify kids for the national teams - ie., as early now as the U18 team. i think this is what Hux was alluding to.

Don't forget, many (if not most) of the elite players receive numerous offers now as sophomores. Most just choose not to commit until their junior year or don't make the commitment pubic.
                          Or freshmen

Comment

NDC's are just one piece of the evaluating/recruiting pie.

My point was the U18 WCs (actually the U18 summer series) brought about a change in the dynamics and timing of commitments from top players. As has been stated before; teams/coaches rank players and obviously they want the highest ranked players they can get. Nationals and then the NDC's, Rink Sport, NAHA camps were the places coaches finalized their rankings of prospects and made offers prior to senior year. Players took their time weighing options. They made official visits and narrowed choices and then committed. Usually in the last last weeks leading up to the initial NLI signing day. The second tier of players, and the odd diamond in the rough committed after and signed NLIs in the late signing period.

The U18 summer series between the US and Canada brought to the fore the best of a crop from two birth years, with the odd third year (15 year old) thrown in. Between the two rosters that's 40 players who jumped to the top of the lists. Those players got the full court press...the top third were committing to the top five or six programs within weeks of the conclusion of the summer series. Yes, many on the rosters were seniors, but many were juniors and they were committing too. Taking spots at those same top programs in the following class.

Obviously there are quite a few outstanding players who, for one reason or another, didn't make it to the U18s. Those that weren't part of the U18 mix realized they needed to speed up the process and get themselves a spot or risk being left out of the top 10-12 teams. Thus the commitments coming in the junior year.

There are also players who commit earlier. This isn't necessarily a trend created by coaches pushing for commitments early. Many players have a pretty good idea where they want to play/attend school. If they show an interest in a program/school and that interest is reciprocated they commit.

Comment

According to their twitter accounts, D Patti Marshall and F Alex Woken verbally committed to the University of Minnesota for 2016-17. They're both '98s who attend Shattuck St. Mary's.

Comment

Working...
                              X