Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartan Hockey 2013-14: ____-ing the ____ again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSU Spartan Hockey 2013-14: ____-ing the ____ again.

Does anybody have a spare crystal ball I can borrow?

Re: MSU Spartan Hockey 2013-14: ____-ing the ____ again.

TV schedules were just announced. A lot of 6:30 Friday games and apparently ESPN will be using college hockey to try to boost ESPNews ratings, which causes for a couple quick turn arounds with goofy 3:00 and 5:00 Saturday games.

Big Ten TV Schedule
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Oh we're picked to finish 3rd in the league this year, just ahead of Minnesota and Michigan and Wisconsin.
      1. Penn State
      2. Ohio State
      3. Michigan State
      4. Wisconsin
      5. Michigan
      6. Minnesota

I think we get get up to #4 though! SLAM BOOM BAM there it is.

Comment

So much for guessing. As of today we've got a "B1G Ones to Watch" Matt Berry out for 8 to 10 weeks. Same for John Draeger. A big hit to the team for sure at both ends of the ice . So move Darnell up to the top line and insert two more freshmen.

#1 Greg Wolfe, Lee Reimer, Matt Berry Brent Darnell
        #2 Matt DeBlouw, Mackenzie MacEachern (Fr), Brent Darnell Joe Cox (Fr)
        #3 Thomas Ebbing (Fr), Dean Chelios, Tanner Sorenson
        #4 Justin Hoomaian, JT Stenglein (Fr), Michael Ferrantino

D:
        Jake Chelios, John Draeger Nicholas Gatt
        RJ Boyd, Rhett Holland (RS-Fr)
        Travis Walsh, Nicholas Gatt Brock Krygier (RS-Fr)

in net: Hildebrand, Yanekeff
        Last edited by owslachief; 09-20-2013, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Ah, it's the most wonderful time of the year. Well, almost. Got to wait another month or so.

Another young team this year. Granted, some really talented underclassmen, but, still, underclassmen. And those first 10 weeks will be really tough without Berry and Draeger. (I think somebody will step up and fill Berry's skates offensively, but the last thing we need right now is more defensive instability.)

IMO, the ceiling is at 22 wins and the floor is at 11 or 12. It's a better team, but business picks up considerably this year. That B1G slate will be a grade-A meat grinder.

Anybody have a MacEachern health update? Kid was killing it in the USHL before his injury.
          Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
          66 - 86 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
            Oh we're picked to finish 3rd in the league this year, just ahead of Minnesota and Michigan and Wisconsin.
            1. Penn State
            2. Ohio State
            3. Michigan State
            4. Wisconsin
            5. Michigan
            6. Minnesota

I think we get get up to #4 though! SLAM BOOM BAM there it is.
            Bring it on, greek!
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
              Ah, it's the most wonderful time of the year. Well, almost. Got to wait another month or so.

Another young team this year. Granted, some really talented underclassmen, but, still, underclassmen. And those first 10 weeks will be really tough without Berry and Draeger. (I think somebody will step up and fill Berry's skates offensively, but the last thing we need right now is more defensive instability.)

IMO, the ceiling is at 22 wins and the floor is at 11 or 12. It's a better team, but business picks up considerably this year. That B1G slate will be a grade-A meat grinder.

Anybody have a MacEachern health update? Kid was killing it in the USHL before his injury.
              When we saw him in March he appeared to be "saving it", but it's also apparent he's going to be quite a presence out there. We'll know more in 13 days!

Comment

So much for guessing. As of today we've got a "B1G Ones to Watch" Matt Berry out for 8 to 10 weeks. Same for John Draeger. A big hit to the team for sure at both ends of the ice . So move Darnell up to the top line and insert two more freshmen.

#1 Greg Wolfe, Lee Reimer, Matt Berry Brent Darnell
                #2 Matt DeBlouw, Mackenzie MacEachern (Fr), Brent Darnell Joe Cox (Fr)
                #3 Thomas Ebbing (Fr), Dean Chelios, Tanner Sorenson
                #4 Justin Hoomaian, JT Stenglein (Fr), Michael Ferrantino
                hmm, no Bondra, Haag or Connor Wood? I have no idea how these freshman will look but I did like Wood's speed in the game against the U18 team last year. That game, by the way, more than any, displayed our dire need for some quicker feet out there. And for some reason, I have Bondra pegged as a breakout player this year.

EDIT: Also, any news on the Joe Cox knee front? I believe he had surgery in the spring? We all saw what that did to Leveille so I am a little uneasy about it. I was actually guessing him as one of our impact freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
                  hmm, no Bondra, Haag or Connor Wood? I have no idea how these freshman will look but I did like Wood's speed in the game against the U18 team last year. That game, by the way, more than any, displayed our dire need for some quicker feet out there. And for some reason, I have Bondra pegged as a breakout player this year.

EDIT: Also, any news on the Joe Cox knee front? I believe he had surgery in the spring? We all saw what that did to Leveille so I am a little uneasy about it. I was actually guessing him as one of our impact freshman.
                  TA said a couple months back Cox is ready to go. And yes HE WILL be impact. I'm sure Bondra will be a contributor - especially with his speed. If he's put it all together, then opening day won't look like week #3, say. The below is, of course, all for fun and I'm sure you can plug in any number of right-handed shots for right-handed shots, left, etc.

On the other hand ... Media Day today, and apparently Cox is almost ready. So yeah, Haag good see action right from the start. I'm intrigued by a guy who lead his Jr. league in Sweden in scoring.
                  Last edited by owslachief; 09-25-2013, 09:45 PM.

Comment

TA said a couple months back Cox is ready to go. And yes HE WILL be impact. I'm sure Bondra will be a contributor - especially with his speed. If he's put it all together, then opening day won't look like week #3, say. The below is, of course, all for fun and I'm sure you can plug in any number of right-handed shots for right-handed shots, left, etc.

On the other hand ... Media Day today, and apparently Cox is almost
                    ready. So yeah, Haag good see action right from the start. I'm intrigued by a guy who lead his Jr. league in Sweden in scoring.
                    I have a feeling Cox may redshirt, unfortunately. This same time last year, I watched Leveille in A couple captain's practices and he looked very much like he was forced to sit the summer out. He did improve a lot as the season wore on but he was just too far behind. I would hate to waste a year by him just being buried on the depth chart by November.

I really hope I am wrong, though. I don't know the extent of the injury but the time frames seem similar.

Regardless, this is the time of year I start perusing rosters, 2012 stats and schedule/results for many teams, particularly our opponents. Pretty excited to see how much this team has improved.
                    Last edited by Pirateasaurus; 09-29-2013, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
                      I have a feeling Cox may redshirt, unfortunately. This same time last year, I watched Leveille in A couple captain's practices and he looked very much like he was forced to sit the summer out. He did improve a lot as the season wore on but he was just too far behind. I would hate to waste a year by him just being buried on the depth chart by November.

I really hope I am wrong, though. I don't know the extent of the injury but the time frames seem similar.

Regardless, this is the time of year I start perusing rosters, 2012 stats and schedule/results for many teams, particularly our opponents. Pretty excited to see how much this team has improved.
                      Leveille's issues if I recall (this was for start of 2011/12 season, correct?) went deeper than physical. With Berry out until possibly early December and Bondra himself on the mend, it would surprise me if Cox didn't get on the ice sooner than that.

I also have to admit doing a little roster watching not only for MSU and not only for the fast-approaching season but in other circles too. One OHL organization recently picked off two u-m prospects in less than two weeks. No one's immune.

Comment

The varsity team will divide in two tomorrow for a green vs. white at 5pm. There will be quite a few local news media celebrities (TV, radio and print) as honorary coaches - it's team Miller vs. team Newton. In addition to getting a taste of the skill level out there, it will be interesting to see who's wearing the C('s) and A's.

Comment

Torey Krug just scored his first regular season NHL goal against the Wings on the power play.
                          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Nothing like Fred Heumann giving a first-intermission pep talk.

Comment

About tonight:

State won by a satisfying 4-1 margin over a familiar CIC team, but what didn't show were signs of some separation between the skill level coming in, and the skill level recruited by the previous coach. A couple seniors have apparently hit their ceiling (maybe even a couple seasons ago). It was nice to see the 47 shots - and for the most part not the shoot-wherever/whenever variety but real chancey-like shots. And ladies and gentlemen, I give you two freshmen who are going to be TROUBLE for opponents. Villiam Haag showed fearlessness and maturity in his game, and MacEachern, if he sticks around for a couple more years - should give Spartan fans a ton of optimism. There is nothing he can't do. Goal scorers tonight were Dean Chelios (welcome back ), Haag (fr), Joe Cox (fr) via a lovely two-on-one and, for variety, a successful penalty shot by Michael Ferrantino. The only disappointment perhaps was a scoreless minute or so of a two-man advantage.
                              Last edited by owslachief; 10-09-2013, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X