X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PC - A new start and a new venue

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
    It's great exposure for Quinnipiac in the New England region for potential recruits and probably helps increase applications for regular students.
    Agreed! A very smart move by Quinnipiac and I wish PC would try to do the same.

Comment

Simple stuff going forward. PC wins both at Maine and they host as a top 4 HE team and will make the NCAA's. Lose one in Maine and they will need to perform well in the HE playoffs. They would play on the road for the opening round of the HE playoffs.

I think they may be able to pull one out in Orono. So I expect they will be on the road trying to get back to the Garden. I think they ****ed away their NCAA hopes but I hope I'm wrong.

Gillies will go to the AHL next year. It's a mistake but I think in his mind he is already at the next level. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

[QUOTE=PC91;5896078]Simple stuff going forward. PC wins both at Maine and they host as a top 4 HE team and will make the NCAA's.

If they win both, PC would still need UNH to lose or tie a game at Merrimack. If they tie with 24 points, UNH finishes fourth because they would have more league wins, which is the second tiebreaker.

Comment

[QUOTE=MikeLogan;5896205]
          Originally posted by PC91 View Post
          Simple stuff going forward. PC wins both at Maine and they host as a top 4 HE team and will make the NCAA's.

If they win both, PC would still need UNH to lose or tie a game at Merrimack. If they tie with 24 points, UNH finishes fourth because they would have more league wins, which is the second tiebreaker.
          Of course we UNH fans are wishing you guys a ton of luck at the Alfond! And we are hoping our boys get the job done at MC! Good luck PC...this should be one interesting HE tournament..
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

[QUOTE=MikeLogan;5896205]
            Originally posted by PC91 View Post
            Simple stuff going forward. PC wins both at Maine and they host as a top 4 HE team and will make the NCAA's.

They could always pass Lowell and Northeastern also...
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

39 years ago this weekend, when I was a young, unattached, and adventuresome RPI alumnus and when the ECAC was an unwieldy aggregation of 17 teams, 8 of which made the playoffs, I took the train from Philadelphia to Providence to watch RPI play Providence College in the final game of the season. RPI had languished in the lower part of the standings most of the year, but had mounted a four-game winning streak and was in position to squeak into the playoffs if they could win that final game.

I got to Providence with absolutely no idea what the name of the Friars’ rink was or where it was located in relation to the train station, but after asking around, I was directed to go to a nearby bus stop and wait for the Smith St. bus, which would take me close to the campus. I remember the bus went toward the picturesque Rhode Island Capitol building and then veered off to the left. Other passengers alerted me when the bus got to the stop closest to the campus and I eventually found my way to Schneider Arena in plenty of time for the game.

I remember the trip fondly, except for the part between the opening faceoff and the final buzzer, during which RPI got hammered, 7-2. I remember Schneider Arena as a nice, new facility – at least, it was a lot newer than the RPI Field House.

I note that the title of this thread refers to a new start and a “new venue.” What does "new venue" refer to? Has Providence College abandoned Schneider Arena in favor of another home rink?

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                39 years ago this weekend, when I was a young, unattached, and adventuresome RPI alumnus and when the ECAC was an unwieldy aggregation of 17 teams, 8 of which made the playoffs, I took the train from Philadelphia to Providence to watch RPI play Providence College in the final game of the season. RPI had languished in the lower part of the standings most of the year, but had mounted a four-game winning streak and was in position to squeak into the playoffs if they could win that final game.

I got to Providence with absolutely no idea what the name of the Friars’ rink was or where it was located in relation to the train station, but after asking around, I was directed to go to a nearby bus stop and wait for the Smith St. bus, which would take me close to the campus. I remember the bus went toward the picturesque Rhode Island Capitol building and then veered off to the left. Other passengers alerted me when the bus got to the stop closest to the campus and I eventually found my way to Schneider Arena in plenty of time for the game.

I remember the trip fondly, except for the part between the opening faceoff and the final buzzer, during which RPI got hammered, 7-2. I remember Schneider Arena as a nice, new facility – at least, it was a lot newer than the RPI Field House.

I note that the title of this thread refers to a new start and a “new venue.” What does "new venue" refer to? Has Providence College abandoned Schneider Arena in favor of another home rink?
                They basically redid the underneath of the run but the seating bowl is pretty much the same as it has been since the 90's when I started going. It also has a brand new video scoreboard too...

Comment

The upgrade at Schneider reminds me of the scope of work at the Houston Field House. New facade, new team areas, freshened seating areas' video scoreboard. Even the coaches' offices decks overlooking the rink. Both facilities have a renewed feeling. It would be nice to see both programs return to national prominence together.

Comment

Zlax and Freds, thanks for the update.

I'm glad to know that Schneider Arena has not suffered the same fate as Philadelphia's Veterans Stadium and Spectrum, which opened not all that many years before Schneider did.

Comment

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
                      It would be nice to see both programs return to national prominence together.
                      Yes so another RPI forward can go offside in the big game but have the game winning goal still count!

Comment

• Originally posted by PC91 View Post
                        Yes so another RPI forward can go offside in the big game but have the game winning goal still count!
                        Regarding that goal, Darren Puppa told me one night a few years ago, "Hey, if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying." A rematch would be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
                          Regarding that goal, Darren Puppa told me one night a few years ago, "Hey, if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying." A rematch would be fun.
                          I love it! I'll give him points for candor.

Comment

Friars!!!!!!!!!!
                            Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

• Originally posted by PcFriars13 View Post
                              Friars!!!!!!!!!!
                              Pleasant surprise indeed!

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                              -Blackadder
                              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                              -Casablanca
                              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

One point tomorrow night and they get the bye and home ice...not bad

Comment

Working...
                                X