X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PC - A new start and a new venue

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    remember when hoky called someone/multiple people out for criticizing Gillies after a soft goal/poor game? think it may have been a home loss to NU. i don't see him scolding anybody recently...

seriously, what's the deal with Gillies?
    I was ripping Gillies for his performance AT Northeastern when he gave up a shot from the point. The goal tonight he gave up to UConn from the point can't be given up by a D-3 goalie! Mentally, I believe Gillies has already checked out of PC. A few weeks ago at Lowell, he didn't even get off the ice on a delayed penalty where he had 20-30 seconds to get to the bench.
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/atla...mike-cavanaugh

Leaman's biggest gripe was inability to finish
      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Do we see Ellis start a game this weekend? I sure hope so.

Also, I was thinking back to my days studying for the SAT's...
        Ross Mauermann is to PC hockey as Bryce cotton is to PC basketball

Comment

Leaman won't publicly criticize Gillies, nor should he. But I agree that Gillies seems to be lost out there. There was the Northeastern game where he gave up two bad goals in 46 seconds to lose 3-2. In Uconn's third goal last night, the uconn kid had a step on Mauermann, but was being harassed from behind by Ross. If Gillies had come out of the net and challenged, I don't think the Uconn kid could have gotten off a good shot. But Gillies totally retreated into the net, and the uconn kid literally carried the puck into the net, so Gillies, the puck, and the uconn kid were all in the net for the score. At this point, the team can't have confidence playing in front of number 32. Do you ride out the year with a seriously slumping goalie, or do you put in Ellis to try to spark the team, and get some consistency in your goaltending?

Comment

Originally posted by squidjigger View Post

You hope so? Notre Dame is hoping for the same..

98.99% of success over past 2 seasons was because of Gillies. Exhibit A was him having to be Hockey East d player of the week for the team to tie 2-15 CC

Clearly something is going on physically and if anyone thinks he all of a sudden became a bad goalie, whatever... He can only do so much.

PC has scopred 2 or less goals in 8 of their last 10 games, including 1 or less 4 times. 3 of the games being OT

Had to be Hockey East defensive player of the week to TIE 2-15 CC.

Even UVM has scored 3 or more in 6 of their last 10.
            Umass 6 of their last 7
            ND 7 of last 11

PP is dead last in Hockey East.

Even with the brutal last 10, Gillies is top 5 in save % and winning %. save % of over 928

GA is still only 2.28. That should wing more than 2 of 11...

They didnt lose 3-2 to Northeastern, they lost 2-1 in OT. In other words the obnly way he could have won is if they shut them out, not to much to ask, right?? ..... Only had 30 shots on him, why shouldnt he stop every single one, every single game. Get up in the F's face and get a stick on it, dont let him get the shot off... Or block it
            Last edited by Hokydad; 02-12-2014, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Hoky, you're haven't been watching. Gillies has not played consistently well since the Quinnipiac game way back when, and has truly played poorly since the World Juniors. His play is hurting the team.

Comment

Originally posted by dillon View Post
                Hoky, you're haven't been watching. Gillies has not played consistently well since the Quinnipiac game way back when, and has truly played poorly since the World Juniors. His play is hurting the team.
                Not arguing with you at all, he has not been the same as he was first 15 or last year, no question... The point is the stats are always useless but they dont lie. Why should he have to shut out Northeastern to win? Shame he only stopped 29 of 30. Even last night, scored 1 goal until bs goalie pulled one with 28 seconds to go. Again, absurd he couldnt shut them out

Awful lot to ask of an 19 year old....

Top teams in Hockey East put up 3-5 a night. Not 1

Lowell scored 4 or more in 5 of last 6 and went 5-1, if PC did that they would be in 2nd in HE, have went 5-01 and locked down home ice...
                Last edited by Hokydad; 02-12-2014, 07:58 AM.

Comment

I agree that PC is having problems at both ends of the ice, as the offense seems to be snakebit. 60 shots and two goals could mean bad luck, or more likely they're making alot of goalies look great by taking alot of low quality shots, or not fighting enough for rebound position. Seems to me PC should have had at least 4 or 5 goals last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                    Not arguing with you at all, he has not been the same as he was first 15 or last year, no question... The point is the stats are always useless but they dont lie. Why should he have to shut out Northeastern to win? Shame he only stopped 29 of 30. Even last night, scored 1 goal until bs goalie pulled one with 28 seconds to go. Again, absurd he couldnt shut them out

Awful lot to ask of an 19 year old....

Top teams in Hockey East put up 3-5 a night. Not 1

Lowell scored 4 or more in 5 of last 6 and went 5-1, if PC did that they would be in 2nd in HE, have went 5-01 and locked down home ice...
                    An upper echelon goalie doesn't get beat on snapshots from the point on the ice like he did on the second goal by UConn. The first Northeastern game he was atrocious giving up a goal on a slap shot within 10 seconds of the start of the game. He was also beat on a wrist shot by Roy from the top of the face off dots and Gaudreau beat him on a similar shot.

My opinion on Gillies and his poor play showed in that blowout up at Lowell. PC as down like 4-1 and there was a delayed penalty on Lowell and Gillies didn't even move out of his net looking to get the extra skater. It happened a few times during the game.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                      An upper echelon goalie doesn't get beat on snapshots from the point on the ice like he did on the second goal by UConn. The first Northeastern game he was atrocious giving up a goal on a slap shot within 10 seconds of the start of the game. He was also beat on a wrist shot by Roy from the top of the face off dots and Gaudreau beat him on a similar shot.

My opinion on Gillies and his poor play showed in that blowout up at Lowell. PC as down like 4-1 and there was a delayed penalty on Lowell and Gillies didn't even move out of his net looking to get the extra skater. It happened a few times during the game.
                      They can get hot and run the table. better to win in late Feb/March than dec/jan

Comment

I disagree that the goalie was phenomenal. I thought PC hit the goalie in the chest and shot over the net on multiple excellent scoring chances. Really ugly loss and PC will be sitting home when the postseason comes around...
                        Do you think this is the case with every PC game? PC is loaded with Mario Lemieux's who just mess up and make every goalie look good?

Also that Kevin Roy goal you're talking about is not stopped by any goalie, it was a perfect snipe off the far pipe and in.
                        Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                        Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by squidjigger View Post

Great analogy. Ice is unconscious, but the team still loses. .
                          If Mauermann was on BC, he'd be ungodly.

The offense has been insanely unproductive given the amount of shots they take. Another reason why SOG is useless...
                          As much as I hate to agree with Hoky, hes' right about Gillies. He can't score goals for the team. If you hold BC to 2 goals, you should be able to get something out of that (although Demkos is apparently the real deal).

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                          -Blackadder
                          "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                          -Casablanca
                          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Just a very brief defense of UConn in all this. they aren't an awful team. Billy Latta might not be a household name, for example, but he has scored over 100 points in his career, so he isn't a bum by any means. Plus they seem to play a style that gives up shots but not that many really good shots. Though admittedly 60 is more than you'd want in a perfect world by a long shot. And they also tend to be somewhat efficient in their own shooting. Cav has been pushing them all year to take more shots.

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                              Do you think this is the case with every PC game? PC is loaded with Mario Lemieux's who just mess up and make every goalie look good?

Also that Kevin Roy goal you're talking about is not stopped by any goalie, it was a perfect snipe off the far pipe and in.
                              Yes I do, because PC can't shoot. What don't you get about that?

Comment

Yes I do, because PC can't shoot. What don't you get about that?
                                You may be the biggest biiitch homer on this site since TBA.
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X