X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PC - A new start and a new venue

Originally posted by Dropkicknh View Post
    I know it's still a couple of weeks away but I'll be heading down to Providence for the Saturday game against UNH. Never been down there and I am looking for suggestions on things to do in town throughout the day .
    eat............and when your done, eat some more

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
      eat............and when your done, eat some more
      I hope you are well. We have Jack coming to the game tonight and I'll be at the Army game tomorrow. Hope to see you there!

Comment

Originally posted by PC91 View Post
        I hope you are well. We have Jack coming to the game tonight and I'll be at the Army game tomorrow. Hope to see you there!
        I am, thanks. I wont be at Conte Sunday but do plan to go to Providence if FiveHole12 will drive . I think as long as I get him peanuts when I go get a beer he'll take me. GO FRIARS!

Comment

Is tonights game sold out?

Comment

Not as of this morning but you'd have to double check. Go on friars.com and try to order what you need. You'll get a better answer that way. Or call 401-865-gopc

Comment

The only weak spot with PC is its power play. If they can fix that, they are one tough team to beat.

Comment

1. The sweep should move us up in the standings. Being that it is a pretty safe bet BC takes Army today out of USCHO's top 20 only 4 teams had 4 point weekends and we were one.
                2. Maybe Leaman is glad it happened so we don't, but for one bad period last weekend, we actually might have had the #1 ranking.
                3. Rebounding after blowing the 2nd period up at Agganis was one lesson to be learned, but rallying from a deficit going into the 3rd period vs Merrimack is another lesson learned.
                4. Merrimack had some a superb track record of winning once they had a lead going into the 3rd period. Something like 43-2-4 over the last 4+ years. The rally had some meaning
                5. Saw Rufo limping around on crutches and with a brace. Divver said a lower body injury (obvious from seeing him) and used the word minor. Even so I bet we don't see him again till the Army game at the earliest.
                6. Even more concerning is that MacKenzie didn't take a shift from the first period on and played most of the game with 5 dmen. MacKenzie as an older freshman has bolstered the defense considerably as he seems to get his stick and deflect pucks and handles himself in his own zone. He is what he is and will always be just that a defensive defenseman but he is good at it. Another good find by Leaman and his staff.
                7. Florentino clearly has a bit of the Jay Leach bent to him, he puts some hard hits on people, and he is going to have to watch some of them since they are much tighter calling the game now then when Leach played a over decade ago. He is also a much better offensive player than Leach and will get much better as he gets accustomed to the speed of Hockey East. Right now is the 2nd leading scoring freshman defenseman in the country.
                8. Nice game by MacPhee also. Got the goal that got us started in the 3rd, just missed on the nice set up later. Granted he has good linemates, but he is proving better than I thought he would be at this point.
                9. Demo is the only player without a point offensively, but as proven by the fact he was not dressed in that disastrous BU game, he grinds his shifts and does his job and until we finish the process of upgrading from the Army days he has his value.
                10. Another nice pickup as a piece of the puzzle guy is Steve McParland. He has 5 points as a 4th line guy, kills penalties nicely, and makes his chances. He is a recruited walk on.
                11. Power play can still use some work but it is clicking a bit more than last year and I think as Florentino improves it will improve. Also Nick Saracino seems a bit snake bit at this point and that should change also.
                12. I would actually like to see us be a little more consistent shutting down the power play of the opposition. Of the 14 goals Gillies has given up 7 have been on the other team's power play
                13. Derek now has 64 career points. With roughly 30 games left in his career he might be one hot streak away from being the first Friar to hit 100 points since Jon Rheault Odds are better Mauerman is the next 100 point scorer in Friartown......In the past decade only Rheault has made it since the '03 trio of Johnny D, Fregoe and Rask.
                14. Things Leaman said I agree with.....this was playoff hockey and with only 20 games you get that feel every week. Believe it or not we are 20% done and will put another big dent in the number of league games by exam break.
                15. Again I agree Miami did expose a number of our weaknesses and it is clear we are working on them. We will be a lot better by February than we are now (however so won't a lot of other teams as they work toward peeking at playoff time).
                16. What I disagree with is that the band and students have been great.....truthfully they suck. Two separate people brought up the fact (and I didn't speak with '91 who has noted this complaint) the band plays the same old tired songs and does nothing to get the crowd in the game, heck they don't even play the song Eric the Ram used to dance to.....they need to trash everything they play now and learn some real hockey music to get the crowd going. As for the students yes they showed up, they sat on their hands for the most part, you could see many on their cell phones the entire time texting away and then a good percent might still think we lost as they were long gone by the third period.
                Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by dillon View Post
                  The only weak spot with PC is its power play. If they can fix that, they are one tough team to beat.
                  Yeah, there was a huge difference between Merrimack's possession and movement and ours last night. I hope our team was taking notes.

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                  16. What I disagree with is that the band and students have been great.....truthfully they suck. Two separate people brought up the fact (and I didn't speak with '91 who has noted this complaint) the band plays the same old tired songs and does nothing to get the crowd in the game, heck they don't even play the song Eric the Ram used to dance to.....they need to trash everything they play now and learn some real hockey music to get the crowd going. As for the students yes they showed up, they sat on their hands for the most part, you could see many on their cell phones the entire time texting away and then a good percent might still think we lost as they were long gone by the third period.
                  I agree. The team's success has brought sellouts, but there are way too many "facetimers" - as evidenced by the grand procession of people out of the rink after Janko's empty netter. When the second biggest cheer of the night was for a Bruins game, you know you have a problems. There wasn't a lot of chanting and cheering outside of the goals. I'll be the first to admit that the game wasn't terribly exciting until the third, but PC was only down by one goal and they weren't being thoroughly dominated. I like the way we played in the third but we can't be spotting the opponent's any leads. The team and the fan base are a work in progress...

I wasn't aware of Merrimack's record when up by one goals.
                  Any idea about UVM? They're better this year and they took out Notre Dame, but that's all I know about them.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                  -Blackadder
                  "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                  -Casablanca
                  "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                  -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Ranking prediction for this week: Minnesota, BC, Notre Dame, Quinnipiac, Providence

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                      Yeah, there was a huge difference between Merrimack's possession and movement and ours last night. I hope our team was taking notes.

I agree. The team's success has brought sellouts, but there are way too many "facetimers" - as evidenced by the grand procession of people out of the rink after Janko's empty netter. When the second biggest cheer of the night was for a Bruins game, you know you have a problems. There wasn't a lot of chanting and cheering outside of the goals. I'll be the first to admit that the game wasn't terribly exciting until the third, but PC was only down by one goal and they weren't being thoroughly dominated. I like the way we played in the third but we can't be spotting the opponent's any leads. The team and the fan base are a work in progress...

I wasn't aware of Merrimack's record when up by one goals.
                      Any idea about UVM? They're better this year and they took out Notre Dame, but that's all I know about them.
                      The band I don't really have a problem, ya it's the same tired songs but it doesn't really bother me, it is what it is. The students though are awful, with the large crowds some passion from the students could really make Schneider a loud barn that's tough to play in (although they're 6-0-1 at home this year.) It was never more apparent than when the traveling crowd from BU was louder and more organized than the Friar faithful on hand. Energy from the students can be infectious throughout the arena and bring energy to the rest of the crowd but aside from some half-hearted "Lets Go Friars" and "sieve" chants they bring nothing to the arena. Can they take a field trip to BU or NU when the Dog House is full to see how a student body is supposed to get behind their team?

Comment

Originally posted by dillon View Post
                        Ranking prediction for this week: Minnesota, BC, Notre Dame, Quinnipiac, Providence
                        #2 Michigan isn't falling out of the top 5 because they didn't play. In fact I think they go to 1. My top 5 Michigan, Minnesota, PC, BC and SCSU
                        Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Any idea about UVM? They're better this year and they took out Notre Dame, but that's all I know about them.[/QUOTE]

UVM depends on which team shows up. Quite a few freshman and they are playing well (Hamilton in particular).

Good penalty kill which they need because they spend a lot of time in the box (mostly for really dumb penalties, not from aggressive play).

PP - sucks..if they could decline it like football they should (I think 4 pp goals and 2 shorthanded allowed) .running at about a 10 percent clip and throw in the shorthanded 5 percent.

They are moving the puck better than in past years and have more skill all the way around. Still some very bad turnovers (Brickley and Bruneteau in particular).

Goalies playing quite well ..nothing I have seen for "bad" goals.

I would guess a split as it is at the Gut...

Comment

I think this is the first time I have ever bothered to check the "How the top 20 fared" piece on USCHO. If this team continues to win the students will come around too. Enjoy the ride.

Comment

Saw you guys Friday and must say it was one of the more impressive HEA performances I've seen. MC could not get a rhythm established against you at all. Gillies is indeed filthy and there was one breakdown in your zone where a lesser goalie would certainly have let one through. Seems like PC fans travelled pretty well, too. See you at the Fens!

Comment

• Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                                Saw you guys Friday and must say it was one of the more impressive HEA performances I've seen. MC could not get a rhythm established against you at all. Gillies is indeed filthy and there was one breakdown in your zone where a lesser goalie would certainly have let one through. Seems like PC fans travelled pretty well, too. See you at the Fens!
                                Funny part is Friday and Saturday, Gillies wasn't tested where he would make some insane saves!
                                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Working...
                                X