Federal judge dismisses former player's lawsuit against UVM coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal judge dismisses former player's lawsuit against UVM coach

Does this reinforce the rights of coaches to dismiss players from the team ... in every sport? Story

Re: Federal judge dismisses former player's lawsuit against UVM coach

Originally posted by 4th liner View Post
    Does this reinforce the rights of coaches to dismiss players from the team ... in every sport? Story
    Based on the article, it seems like a pretty weak case, other than the allegation, if true, that he never was called into Sneddon's office, and if that means that the problems were never discussed with him. It's hard to believe that a coach would dismiss the leading point scorer with no warning at all. The "defamation by implication" argument seems especially lame.

Comment

I would love to see the complaint and the basis for jurisdiction in a federal court. (Diversity?)

Comment

I don't care what reason the coach did or did not give him for being kicked off the team. I don't care what words he used or the phase of the moon. A college hockey player is on the team at the coach's whim. Period. If it can be theoretically overruled, what would that change? A kid gets to skate at practice, and show up as "DNP - coach's decision?" If a coach doesn't want a guy on the team, he's not going to be on the team.
        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Ray, you are 100% correct right. He was owed nothing. He obviously upset the coaches and that is what led to his dismissal. Filing the lawsuit hurt his hockey career more than UVM kicking him off the team. Nobody touches somebody they feel will potentially file a lawsuit against them. Just curious, has he had a hockey career since?

Comment

Seemed ridiculous. Unless he was kicked off the team because of his race, religion, sexual orientation, etc., he's got no beef.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

He should have hired better legal representation. He needed attorney Gordon Bombay who was able to successfully reinstate the Ducks at Eden Hall Academy. Maybe he could have used the same argument about a contract.
              Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
              Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
              Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                Seemed ridiculous. Unless he was kicked off the team because of his race, religion, sexual orientation, etc., he's got no beef.
                now I am completely lost.
                according to Ray, the only thing that matters is the whim of the coach, and now you are saying that there are SOME things that take precedence over the coach's whim.

I simply asked what the complaint in Federal Court pleaded. He had to use an attorney who had to have some sort of good faith belief that there were grounds for taking this matter to federal court, or risk disbarment.

what were those grounds?

and Brass, tell me why a coach MUST keep a player on his team no matter what the sexual orientation, if the coach belives that it would be harmful to have a player that would ruin team chemistry?

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
                  He should have hired better legal representation. He needed attorney Gordon Bombay who was able to successfully reinstate the Ducks at Eden Hall Academy. Maybe he could have used the same argument about a contract.

He also could have used the services of the bash brothers

Comment

First Cornell

Then Vermont

When will it be his fault when things dont go his way?
                    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Working...
                    X