X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA seawolves thread 2013-2014 the old has gone the new has come

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Merry Christmas, Seawolves. And I guess I'll include Seawolf Fan. But probably not Alaska Hockey.

(Ok fine, Alaska Hockey too)
    Wishing you a blessed Christmas as well, Squarebanks!

Merry Christmas to all the Seawolf faithful! Have a wonderful time with your families, and see you at the Sully in January!
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Need some last minute stocking stuffers? UAA hockey coupon books are $70 for 10 tickets. That's only $7 each! There ya go Dingman! Can't beat that price.

http://www.goseawolves.com/SplashPag..._AD_ID=1236451
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Here's the breakdown on what the Assembly appropriated for the Sully. Total amount is $9,303,000.

Slated to be replaced are: CO2 Direct Refrigeration, Boards, Glass, Energy, Seat Replacement, Sound System/Mics, Storage Building, Doors, West Pavers and Boilers/H2O. I don't see anything about a new HD center ice scoreboard though. And this is pegged for 2015, which is a big disappointment. I hope they can push for it to be done sooner than that!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
          Here's the breakdown on what the Assembly appropriated for the Sully. Total amount is $9,303,000.

Slated to be replaced are: CO2 Direct Refrigeration, Boards, Glass, Energy, Seat Replacement, Sound System/Mics, Storage Building, Doors, West Pavers and Boilers/H2O. I don't see anything about a new HD center ice scoreboard though. And this is pegged for 2015, which is a big disappointment. I hope they can push for it to be done sooner than that!
          Your diligence is unrivaled!
          Agreed on the scoreboard, center ice "jumbotron".
          Several years ago I was told the replay screen on the East wall is "owned" by GCI and that's the reason things like the end of game coach interview with Kurt can't be shown. That b.s. should change.
          And I hate to admit it but those dumkoffs on the edge of nowhere hold an interview/dog and pony show after the game similar to what we see on football telecasts.
          These things are just me being selfish and wanting more of Matt and the teams time.
          More importantly, any idea what the ice size will be?

Comment

My bad for complaining about the after game media things.
            On the Fridays when there is no Coaches Lunch, Coach Thomas holds a "Chalk Talk" at 6:15pm in the Northeast corner "student lounge" room.
            He gives inside info on the team, that nights game plan, things to watch for in the game and gives straight answers to any questions.
            Unbelievable that close to game time!
            The guy walks the talk.
            Can't ask for much more than that.
            Last edited by Seawolf Fan; 12-22-2013, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
              Your diligence is unrivaled!
              Agreed on the scoreboard, center ice "jumbotron".
              Several years ago I was told the replay screen on the East wall is "owned" by GCI and that's the reason things like the end of game coach interview with Kurt can't be shown. That b.s. should change.
              And I hate to admit it but those dumkoffs on the edge of nowhere hold an interview/dog and pony show after the game similar to what we see on football telecasts.
              These things are just me being selfish and wanting more of Matt and the teams time.
              More importantly, any idea what the ice size will be?
              The ice will remain Olympic size. Parks testified that UAA and the Aces didn't want to downsize to NHL ice ... and the memo that Hackett and Parks sent to the Assembly asked for NHL standard seamless glass, not ice size. After hearing testimony from Parks, the Assembly decided it was too costly to change the ice to NHL size, and since the two primary tenants didn't want it, they would leave it Olympic size.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                My bad for complaining about the after game media things.
                On the Fridays when there is no Coaches Lunch, Coach Thomas holds a "Chalk Talk" at 6:15pm in the Northeast corner "student lounge" room.
                He gives inside info on the team, that nights game plan, things to watch for in the game and gives straight answers to any questions.
                Unbelievable that close to game time!
                The guy walks the talk.
                Can't ask for much more than that.
                I have not taken in a chalk talk yet, but maybe we will. We're usually in the Kendall eating dinner (as you know!)

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                  I have not taken in a chalk talk yet, but maybe we will. We're usually in the Kendall eating dinner (as you know!)
                  First off, a big 'thank you' to Suze for her doing the legwork and posting all of that info on the Sullivan Arena upgrade project here. It's somehow satisfying to see an actual dollar amount pegged to the upgrades/repairs that are supposed to be happening to the Sullivan Arena. The two things I am most eager about are the new glass and seats, but no doubt all of the other items have their importance in the grand scheme of things.

That being said, I do have to express my disappointment at there being no new scoreboard in the works. To me a scoreboard in an arena is such an important focal point and has the ability to define the experience at a game, as much so as a crowd and how the home team is doing. Looking at the current scoreboard in that arena is equivalent to looking at an Atari 2600 screen from the early 80's, with its low resolution display and limited color palette. I guess that makes sense since the Arena is a product from that era. Speaking of which, does anyone know how long the Sully's current scoreboard has been in place as it stands? That would be an interesting factoid.

Anyways, I'll stop my *****ing. I know a new scoreboard will cost probably as much as the GDP of a small country and that it will probably be at least 10 years before we actually see any movement on that since the currently planned upgrades are all that the Sully is likely to get for a long while. I'll be (and am) thankful for upgrades that the arena is getting. New glass is paramount above all else IMO, and next to that to replace those gawdawful plastic buckets they call seats. I'm a happy guy with this news, even though I'm in Minny now and won't be able to see it all in place until I make my next trip back. On a sidenote, I will probably be in Madison for the UW game! I'm nervous about how it will go down there but I'm confident coach Thomas will have a plan to win.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Holidays, Kwanzaa and Festivus (depending on your preference).
                  Last edited by Alaskana; 12-22-2013, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskana View Post
                    First off, a big 'thank you' to Suze for her doing the legwork and posting all of that info on the Sullivan Arena upgrade project here. It's somehow satisfying to see an actual dollar amount pegged to the upgrades/repairs that are supposed to be happening to the Sullivan Arena. The two things I am most eager about are the new glass and seats, but no doubt all of the other items have their importance in the grand scheme of things.

That being said, I do have to express my disappointment at there being no new scoreboard in the works. To me a scoreboard in an arena is such an important focal point and has the ability to define the experience at a game, as much so as a crowd and how the home team is doing. Looking at the current scoreboard in that arena is equivalent to looking at an Atari 2600 screen from the early 80's, with its low resolution display and limited color palette. I guess that makes sense since the Arena is a product from that era. Speaking of which, does anyone know how long the Sully's current scoreboard has been in place as it stands? That would be an interesting factoid.

Anyways, I'll stop my *****ing. I know a new scoreboard will cost probably as much as the GDP of a small country and that it will probably be at least 10 years before we actually see any movement on that since the currently planned upgrades are all that the Sully is likely to get for a long while. I'll be (and am) thankful for upgrades that the arena is getting. New glass is paramount above all else IMO, and next to that to replace those gawdawful plastic buckets they call seats. I'm a happy guy with this news, even though I'm in Minny now and won't be able to see it all in place until I make my next trip back. On a sidenote, I will probably be in Madison for the UW game! I'm nervous about how it will go down there but I'm confident coach Thomas will have a plan to win.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Holidays, Kwanzaa and Festivus (depending on your preference).
                    Lets hope the seats are NOT red and yellow! Especially yellow close to the glass! I obviously favor green, but, I know that the Aces probably want blue (nanook colors, yuk). At any rate, Not sure what colors would be appropriate, but PLEASE not the bright colors!!!!

Comment

Also, I agree that the scoreboard upgrade is going to be a bummer. Especially when the new AAC on campus is going to have this great HD 4-sided scoreboard for the basketball team. Ugh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaskana View Post

The scoreboard in the same one since it opened, however the panels on it were replaced sometime last decade.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                          Lets hope the seats are NOT red and yellow! Especially yellow close to the glass! I obviously favor green, but, I know that the Aces probably want blue (nanook colors, yuk). At any rate, Not sure what colors would be appropriate, but PLEASE not the bright colors!!!!
                          Well, I know UAA does not want bright colors either, so I doubt that will happen. Orange and yellow? What were they thinking?

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                            Also, I agree that the scoreboard upgrade is going to be a bummer. Especially when the new AAC on campus is going to have this great HD 4-sided scoreboard for the basketball team. Ugh.
                            Black
                            Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

I was just looking over all the paperwork concerning the appropriations for the Sully. Now I'm not sure if the HD jumbotrom scoreboard is included or not. UAA and the Aces asked for: new sound, video and projection system and new spotlights. Replace existing refrigeration system, new concrete ice floor, new dasher system and no seam NHL glass, and replace retractable seats in lower bowl. They also asked to be part of the design selection process.

Ok, now looking at the Sully allocations (AR-2013-256), this is what is listed for the cost of 5,425,000:

New concrete floor ("NHL" standard). Upgrade to new ice plant, New paint and décor in fan viewing area, new graphics and update colors (walls and floors). New sound and spot lighting system including wireless mics and remote spotlights. New center ice jumbotron (4 screen) video score board. Exterior storage building 80x60. Repair security and team office leaking roof on West side. Remove and replace landscaping. Paint exterior. Provide for interim maintenance fund until ice plant replacement in 2015.

The project 80's worksheet that the Assembly looked at at their last meeting reads:

CO2 Direct Refrigeration, Boards, Glass, Energy - for a total cost of $ 5,023,000. There is a 402,000 difference. And what does "energy" mean? I am trying to get some answers from either Starr or Demboski about the scoreboard! The only project listed as not being funded is paint, at a cost of $650,000.
                              Last edited by Suze; 12-23-2013, 02:05 PM.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Well, the scoreboard is not on the list of things to be replaced. BUT, I was told that the Aces had a meeting with the Mayor and were confident that they could get private sponsors to pay for the new video screens, and that's why they aren't on the list. So still some hope.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X