X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA seawolves thread 2013-2014 the old has gone the new has come

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
    So just where does the SOG person sit at Sully?
    If I hadn't dropped in here so late, I'd call my neighbor and ask her. She did the SOG tally sheets for UAA a few years ago.. not sure if she still does. I haven't seen her in a while.

When I did SOG tallying at the Boeke and Dempsey arenas (kid's games) I sat in the teensy area wedged in between the two penalty boxes. The refs skate up & tell you crap throughout the game. Like.. "hey, you started the clock too soon!" or.. "uh.. that wasn't a shot ya know" .. Kid's games generally had one person doing both scorekeeping & shots.

I never even thought to look at where they sit at the Sully.. If they're with the scorekeeper, you'd think they were down there by the penalty box where the refs can talk to them, but I don't have a clue..

BTW.. What's up with the person running the lights in there lately? Why are they keeping it pitch dark as the players are announced & skate out? Realllly lame.

Last thing.. I love listening to Kurt diss our crummy glass! He did say on Saturday though that the new glass they're installing before next season is supposed to be super nice. It's sad that while all the other UAA teams are looking forward to their mega-million dollar Alaska Airlines Sports Arena, we're just looking forward to new glass.. What's wrong with this picture?

Comment

So just where does the SOG person sit at Sully?
      Press box?
      Official box by penalty box?
      Up with the video folks?
      And how about that poor person who has to keep track of + -?
      That's gotta be a super tough job.
      Unless something has changed recently, the SOG person had been positioned between the penalty box area where the official scorer is. That being said, there is a split screen TV monitor that shows both goalie nets (used for ref replay of goals) that shows live play, until a goal needs to be reviewed at which time the video can be re-winded and slowed down as needed. Theoretically this could be used to see if a shot is really a SOG or not. Its been a little while since I took a look at any of this, but I know at one point this was how things had been setup at the Sully at one point.

Comment

[QUOTE=AlaskaRox;5837520]Kid's games generally had one person doing both scorekeeping & shots.[QUOTE]
        This has happened at times for UAA games when the stats crew has been short on consistent volunteers...

BTW.. What's up with the person running the lights in there lately? Why are they keeping it pitch dark as the players are announced & skate out? Realllly lame.
        The Sullivan staff run the lights as they are instructed by the UAA athletic department for pregame activities. Just as for other events that use the building, the staff largely follow the direction of the people paying the bill at the time and pregame/intermission activities are one of those areas of an event that are performed at the direction of the building user. Your concerns are more at issue with particular folks at the UAA Athletic Department over somebody at the Sully

Last thing.. I love listening to Kurt diss our crummy glass! He did say on Saturday though that the new glass they're installing before next season is supposed to be super nice. It's sad that while all the other UAA teams are looking forward to their mega-million dollar Alaska Airlines Sports Arena, we're just looking forward to new glass.. What's wrong with this picture?
        Thank you Mayor Dan Sullivan...

Comment

Thank you Mayor Dan Sullivan...
          Mayor Sneak says $7,000,000 (and Sneak never gives the true $ number) for his tennis court and screw any upkeep maintenance on our existing ice facilities.
          Update the facilities that see so much use that ice time is sold from O dark 30 until late at night?
          Or pour untold millions into an under used tennis facility?
          The Alaska Club has a tennis facility that is so under utilized they are willing to sell it at a loss just to get it off their books.
          But Mayor Sneak wants a facility to be named after him not update one named for his father.
          What a guy!

Comment

• Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
            Mayor Sneak says $7,000,000 (and Sneak never gives the true $ number) for his tennis court and screw any upkeep maintenance on our existing ice facilities.
            Update the facilities that see so much use that ice time is sold from O dark 30 until late at night?
            Or pour untold millions into an under used tennis facility?
            The Alaska Club has a tennis facility that is so under utilized they are willing to sell it at a loss just to get it off their books.
            But Mayor Sneak wants a facility to be named after him not update one named for his father.
            What a guy!
            Not gonna lie I am half tempted to vote him for lieutenant governor just to get him out of town.
            Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
              Not gonna lie I am half tempted to vote him for lieutenant governor just to get him out of town.
              And maybe we end up with another 1/2 Governor and Sneak ends up in that seat?
              I whole heartedly agree with your sentiment to get rid of him but we should be very careful not to give Sneak
              any political opening.
              Please contact your Assembly representative and let them know where you stand on the ice vs tennis issue.
              And where are the ice associations when the Assembly meets and there are more tennis elites attending than ice folks?

Comment

Originally posted by Hal9K View Post
                The most logical choice would be the goal judge. But we don't want to bring logic into this. The score keepers area by the penalty boxes is horrible to view shots from. You would think it is great but it sucks.
                You would never do SOG from the goal judge's box. They have enough to occupy their eyes. If you did that as the goal judge, you'd be late on goals.

Remember that the SOG count also has to note who took the shot from a scoring perspective, and that's separate from the shot chart, which you can only hope matches up to the box. Every school that I've ever seen has their stat crew on press row or at a specific scorer's area. (I used to do traveling radio, so I've been in at least 15 D-I buildings.) If schools had the money (for the personnel) and the hardware/software to do it, we could do live TOI. Maybe the big schools do this, but I don't remember seeing it in Kohl, Magness, or Mariucci.

I'll second that the scorer's box has awful angles. When you're looking through 2-4 panes of glass, it gets hard to have a good view. I hate doing PA (mainly because I'm terrible at it; throwing lots of energy sends my voice stupid high where I sound foofy), and that's a definite reason why. You do get to have a conversation with the refs, though, and the stuff that you hear can be pretty funny.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

And maybe we end up with another 1/2 Governor and Sneak ends up in that seat?
                  I whole heartedly agree with your sentiment to get rid of him but we should be very careful not to give Sneak
                  any political opening.
                  Please contact your Assembly representative and let them know where you stand on the ice vs tennis issue.
                  And where are the ice associations when the Assembly meets and there are more tennis elites attending than ice folks?
                  We lived in Chugiak for 32 years so I contacted all of the Assembly persons and let them know how I felt. I got responses back from several who are really against tennis. I agree that Sullivan is less than forthright with the facts. He said there is money set aside for SMG to do repairs at the Sully, implying all of the allocated $$ didn't have to go to the arena. If that's right, how come it's been three years since I wrote to the Muni Contract Administrator (to buy new runner rugs for Parent's Weekend so parents didn't trip and fall on the hard ice) and only ONE old rug has been replaced with a new one? I was told by someone who works for SMG that every year they request $$ for upgrades, and every year they are denied.

As far as where the SOG person sits, I have it on good authority that they sit on press row with the other stat people and UAA's Sports Information person.
                  Last edited by Suze; 12-16-2013, 10:34 PM.
                  Originally Posted by aparch
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Am I the only one watching the streaming Assembly meeting? Talk about confusing! How many amendments of the resolution were there anyway? Sheesh. Not sure what to make of it all, I guess I'll have to see what is in the paper tomorrow morning.

Edit: http://www.adn.com/2013/12/17/323595...llion-for.html

4.4 millon was passed for tennis. Does the Sullivan Arena get some of the initial 27 million from the original funding? Anyone know how this all shakes out for the Sully upgrades?
                    Last edited by Suze; 12-18-2013, 01:23 AM.
                    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                      Am I the only one watching the streaming Assembly meeting? Talk about confusing! How many amendments of the resolution were there anyway? Sheesh. Not sure what to make of it all, I guess I'll have to see what is in the paper tomorrow morning.

4.4 millon was passed for tennis. Does the Sullivan Arena get some of the initial 27 million from the original funding? Anyone know how this all shakes out for the Sully upgrades?
                      Kinda hard to answer your questions.
                      Mayor Sneak left the meeting immediately after the vote to appropriate $4.4 for the tennis courts. Sneak wasn't interested in any other city business. Only his tennis courts.
                      With Dempsey-Anderson being in close proximity to Sneaks' proposed tennis courts it's hard to say that he won't finagle money away from that ice and use the money on his tennis courts. "All one facility" in his convoluted argument.
                      However Sneak shuffles and misappropriates the money it will dilute the amount available to maintain and update existing Projects 80 infrastructure.
                      Will Sullivan arena receive the requisite work to bring it up to todays standards?
                      With Sneak in charge it's difficult to say.

Comment

Kinda hard to answer your questions.
                        Mayor Sneak left the meeting immediately after the vote to appropriate $4.4 for the tennis courts. Sneak wasn't interested in any other city business. Only his tennis courts.
                        With Dempsey-Anderson being in close proximity to Sneaks' proposed tennis courts it's hard to say that he won't finagle money away from that ice and use the money on his tennis courts. "All one facility" in his convoluted argument.
                        However Sneak shuffles and misappropriates the money it will dilute the amount available to maintain and update existing Projects 80 infrastructure.
                        Will Sullivan arena receive the requisite work to bring it up to todays standards?
                        With Sneak in charge it's difficult to say.
                        Very true! I sure enjoyed it when Amy Demboski put him in his place when he tried to veto the Assembly's vote!! That was priceless. In my conversation with Demboski, she was afraid that if they didn't pass something that the money for the Sullivan Arena upgrades would be delayed until 2015.
                        Last edited by Suze; 12-18-2013, 01:52 PM.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

The Sullivan Arena gets an additional $4.438 million from the 10.5 that was being debated. This is on top of the initial grant received from the 26.5 million that was already appropriated. I am trying to get the breakdown on how much, in total, the Sully is getting ... and what upgrades will be done. Hopefully it will be everything that UAA and the Aces have asked for!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I know what we should do, litter his lawn with tennis balls, broken tennis rackets, and ratty tennis shoes.
                            Last edited by AKSWF; 12-18-2013, 05:48 PM. Reason: wrong quote
                            Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                              I know what we should do, litter his lawn with tennis balls, broken tennis rackets, and ratty tennis shoes.
                              Sullivan did not want this to come before the voters because he most likely knew it would fail. He was trying to control both the executive and legislative branches! He can't do that. Now it will be very interesting to see if the tennis community can come up with the rest of the money ... my bet is they won't be able to.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Sullivan did not want this to come before the voters because he most likely knew it would fail. He was trying to control both the executive and legislative branches! He can't do that. Now it will be very interesting to see if the tennis community can come up with the rest of the money ... my bet is they won't be able to.
                                Suze, I agree with your bet.
                                However it's difficult to determine how much money you're talking about.
                                At this point it appears the tennis folks got $4.4. Mayor Sneak wanted something north of $7.2.
                                $7.2 - $4.4 = $2.8 for the tennis folks to raise....and I'm pretty sure Sneak had a larger figure in mind. When Demboski put Sneak in his place and he lost the vote he stormed out acting like a spoiled brat.
                                In my opinion Sneak won't quit here. He and his fellow co-conspirators Johnson & Hall along with the Spenard legislator battling her recall will concoct some backdoor, in the dark of night subterfuge to get their claws on that money.
                                Wanna bet????

Comment

Working...
                                X