X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA seawolves thread 2013-2014 the old has gone the new has come

Originally posted by UAA Seawolves Fan View Post
    Just in case some of you haven't had enough hockey at the Sully this weekend...

The annual Guns and Hoses hockey game is today at 4PM. This year, Anchorage's Police and Firefighters will compete against UAA Alumni in the community hockey game. Tailgate party starts at 2:30 and doors open at 3. Admission is $1 if wearing a sports jersey and $5 if not.

Come out and see the UAA Alumni doing something for hockey, even if it isn't for their alma mater
    Did you go?
    How was it?
    Post a recap?

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
      Did you go?
      How was it?
      Post a recap?
      There game was good! It was nice to see a number of regular UAA hockey supporters in attendance. UAA Athletic Director Keith Hackett was in attendance along with a number of UAA Boosters and former players.

Final score was 4-3 UAA Alums.

The old guys skated better and faster than I was anticipating to be honest. Zaporzan got a hat trick in the first period (be nice if he had a wrister like that during his UAA days...). The Old Guys had good pressure and pretty much owned the first period on shots. Christensen gave one away when he came out of the net and made a long pass, only to the wrong team who then had an empty net to shoot at. It was fun to watch a couple of young goaltenders go at it. Young guys on both teams kept the play decently fast (until the end of the 3rd period...everybody looked tired or ready for a beer...probably a bit of both). I think if Thomas hits a rough patch getting out current skaters going, he should schedule a UAA Alumni vs Current UAA game to put a little jump back in their game. The Alums played quite well.

UAA Alumni included: Todd Bethard, Chris Luiten, Peter Cartwright, Matt Shasby, Chris Pont, Mark Filipenko, Brian Kraft, Jim Dahl, Mike Scott, Daron Underwood, Vladamir Novak, Dean Trboyevich, Bryce Christensen, Matt Williams, Jeff Edwards, Keith Morris, Merit Waldrop, Jeremy Smith, Pete Mcenaney, and Gregg Zaporzan. Current UAA Coach Matt Thomas also suited up for the UAA Alums and Kurt Haider served as bench boss for the former UAA skaters.

The AFD/APD team also included former UAA players Jim Tobin, Tim Molle, Marc Nokelby, Eric Tuott, and Eric Lawson. Anchorage Native and former Colorado College goaltender Drew O'Connell was in net for the AFD/APD squad.

Good hockey game for a good cause. All the money goes to support the Scotty Gomez foundation and stays in the state to support youth hockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by UAA Seawolves Fan View Post
        There game was good! It was nice to see a number of regular UAA hockey supporters in attendance. UAA Athletic Director Keith Hackett was in attendance along with a number of UAA Boosters and former players.

The old guys skated better and faster than I was anticipating to be honest. Zaporzan got a hat trick in the first period (be nice if he had a wrister like that during his UAA days...). The Old Guys had good pressure and pretty much owned the first period on shots. Christensen gave one away when he came out of the net and made a long pass, only to the wrong team who then had an empty net to shoot at. It was fun to watch a couple of young goaltenders go at it. Young guys on both teams kept the play decently fast (until the end of the 3rd period...everybody looked tired or ready for a beer...probably a bit of both). I think if Thomas hits a rough patch getting out current skaters going, he should schedule a UAA Alumni vs Current UAA game to put a little jump back in their game. The Alums played quite well.

UAA Alumni included: Todd Bethard, Chris Luiten, Peter Cartwright, Matt Shasby, Chris Pont, Mark Filipenko, Brian Kraft, Jim Dahl, Mike Scott, Daron Underwood, Vladamir Novak, Dean Trboyevich, Bryce Christensen, Matt Williams, Jeff Edwards, Keith Morris, Merit Waldrop, Jeremy Smith, Pete Mcenaney, and Gregg Zaporzan. Current UAA Coach Matt Thomas also suited up for the UAA Alums and Kurt Haider served as bench boss for the former UAA skaters.

The AFD/APD team also included former UAA players Jim Tobin, Tim Molle, Marc Nokelby, Eric Tuott, and Eric Lawson. Anchorage Native and former Colorado College goaltender Drew O'Connell was in net for the AFD/APD squad.

Good hockey game for a good cause. All the money goes to support the Scotty Gomez foundation and stays in the state to support youth hockey.
        Wish I could've made it, love seeing the alumni back in action.
        Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Chalk talk with coach Thomas Friday at 615 in the northeast student room
          Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

We usually go to this event, but didn't make it this year so thanks for the recap. Sounds like it was a lot of fun. Was the arena fairly full? Did they close off the balcony until the lower bowl was full like in years past? Nokelby and McEnaney - now that takes ya back a few!
            Originally Posted by aparch
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Is there any follow up on the alleged assault of the uaf Nanook mascot?
              GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                We usually go to this event, but didn't make it this year so thanks for the recap. Sounds like it was a lot of fun. Was the arena fairly full? Did they close off the balcony until the lower bowl was full like in years past? Nokelby and McEnaney - now that takes ya back a few!
                There were certainly some names from a little ways back...

I wouldn't say that it was full but it was a decent crowd. The balcony was closed but by the end of the game a few people made their way up top. The lower mezzanine had a good crowd. Maybe a few more empty seats than the usual UAA crowed this season.

Comment

There were certainly some names from a little ways back...

I wouldn't say that it was full but it was a decent crowd. The balcony was closed but by the end of the game a few people made their way up top. The lower mezzanine had a good crowd. Maybe a few more empty seats than the usual UAA crowed this season.
                  Sounds about like years past then. Hopefully we'll have a good crowd for this weekends games as well! The Aces are tied for 4th place, so maybe their bandwagon falls will start falling off the wagon.
                  Last edited by Suze; 12-12-2013, 10:21 AM.
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

The grinch's column reverted to form today.
                    May his stocking contain an abundance of coal!

Comment

• Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                      Is there any follow up on the alleged assault of the uaf Nanook mascot?
                      Not sure on follow up, but I don't think Big or Little Nook will be making the trip next time.
                      _AIRBANKS: THE "SPENARD" OF ALASKA.

Originally posted by birdman
                      No excuses from UAF fans, UAA beat us.

Comment

Our new AD is very outgoing and full of energy. We seem to be on the same schedule since I now regularly bump into him in the morning at the Wells Fargo Sports Complex around 7:40 am. He goes around saying good morning to everybody he sees at the 'Farg, and says it full of joy and spirit, reminds me of old Saint Nick
                        Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                          Our new AD is very outgoing and full of energy. We seem to be on the same schedule since I now regularly bump into him in the morning at the Wells Fargo Sports Complex around 7:40 am. He goes around saying good morning to everybody he sees at the 'Farg, and says it full of joy and spirit, reminds me of old Saint Nick
                          He's the same in the booster rooms at the Sully. Very upbeat, saying hi to everyone, commenting on how good the food is, etc. Very refreshing!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Not a bad way to end the first half of the year with a thrilling win with 15 seconds left. Some thoughts from the first half

This team sure knows how to bounce back and has shown a lot of resiliency this year.

Goaltenders have all shown flashes of brilliancy

Coaching change has paid off so far.

Go seawolves merry Christmas Seawolf nation.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what happened to Lyle woods? Did he quit again?

Comment

Whoever is doing the SOG call needs improvement. Maybe that seat doesn't have a very good view because this appears to be a multi year long problem on both ends of the ice.
                                Whoever is doing the music this year is doing a great job!

Comment

Working...
                                X