This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA seawolves thread 2013-2014 the old has gone the new has come

Wow....it's been a long time since I've posted on anything. But I've been reading everyone's thoughts for a while so I think I'm pretty up to date....

I think I'm going to agree with some of JJ and some of DD thoughts. I don't think that was really a horrible loss in comparison to some of the losses this season (WMU and BG Friday night for instance). I watched the first two periods tonight and I think it was still up in the air. I thought the first Bemidji goal was a relativly nice goal and I'm pretty sure Gundy knows he messed up on the second. That said, I want to see some fire when they come out tomorrow. I'd like to see a split on the road this weekend and I think they can pull it off against Bemidji as long as they keep their head in it. Lets go for the W tomorrow guys. Hold on for all 60 minutes of hockey!

All things considered...its a step in a new direction. Kurt said that our PK and our PP were both in the top 3 in the WCHA. Some of the more senior guys are throwing up some nice numbers early in the season. I'd like to see some more action around goal for some of the young guys but some of them are still making some nice strides. Matyas has had some key strong moments, weak mostly due to his lack of experience in the D1 game. Gundy has looked solid but with still with some weak moments. I think I'd like to see Kamal get some ice time at some point soon.

Hard to say that things aren't going in the right direction these days!

Comment

Kamal and Gundy are real nice guys. Class acts off the ice. I haven't been around Matty enough to form an opinion one way or the other. Threw that in here to show that I don't have any prejudice one way or the other towards any of the 3. Coach said he was going to play whoever looked best in practice and the 3rd guy would only get a chance if one of the top 2 faltered or was hurt. Matty was hurt last weekend so Kamal was the backup. Matty not 100% healed so all 3 traveled. Thought Gundy had a fairly strong game last night. Thompson had family matters to attend to so didn't travel. I would guess he watched the game on TV and he and Matt would have a telephone conversation either last night or today. Matt will go with whoever he thinks gives us the best chance to win.
      Based on last nights game I would go with Gundy. Have to wait and see what Matt decides. He's there and sees and knows many things I'm not privy to, so I sure wouldn't second guess his decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
        Kamal and Gundy are real nice guys. Class acts off the ice. I haven't been around Matty enough to form an opinion one way or the other. Threw that in here to show that I don't have any prejudice one way or the other towards any of the 3. Coach said he was going to play whoever looked best in practice and the 3rd guy would only get a chance if one of the top 2 faltered or was hurt. Matty was hurt last weekend so Kamal was the backup. Matty not 100% healed so all 3 traveled. Thought Gundy had a fairly strong game last night. Thompson had family matters to attend to so didn't travel. I would guess he watched the game on TV and he and Matt would have a telephone conversation either last night or today. Matt will go with whoever he thinks gives us the best chance to win.
        Based on last nights game I would go with Gundy. Have to wait and see what Matt decides. He's there and sees and knows many things I'm not privy to, so I sure wouldn't second guess his decision.
        Kurt played an interview of the coach last night and Matt said he would like to give Kamal some ice time, but not at the cost of a win. Thing is Kamal is the goalie who played in most of our playoff games, including when we swept the Gophers. I personally always thought he was the better of the two, but each had their strengths and weaknesses. I agree with UAA Seawolves Fan that I'd like to see what Kamal can do. It was hard enough the last few years not having a real #1 goalie, but when you have three goalies who are all capable it makes the decision even that much harder. I guess we have to trust the coaching staff on this one.
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
          Kurt played an interview of the coach last night and Matt said he would like to give Kamal some ice time, but not at the cost of a win. Thing is Kamal is the goalie who played in most of our playoff games, including when we swept the Gophers. I personally always thought he was the better of the two, but each had their strengths and weaknesses. I agree with UAA Seawolves Fan that I'd like to see what Kamal can do. It was hard enough the last few years not having a real #1 goalie, but when you have three goalies who are all capable it makes the decision even that much harder. I guess we have to trust the coaching staff on this one.
          I agree with Suze on this one, I'd like to see what Kamal can do tonight. While I agree that they shouldn't play him just for the sake of giving him some ice time, I think his past performances in high pressure situations has earned him a chance against Bemidji tonight. That being said I thought Gunderson played well given the circumstances and definitely had some unlucky bounces.

Oh, and I'll have my chat room up for tonight's game again at http://www.tinychat.com/alaskana. Thanks to all that popped by last night.

Go Seawolves!
          Last edited by Alaskana; 11-16-2013, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Anyone have the lines for UAA? Thanks in advance.
            _AIRBANKS: THE "SPENARD" OF ALASKA.

Originally posted by birdman
            No excuses from UAF fans, UAA beat us.

Comment

So frustrating again!

First off, that was a kick. Maybe it's because I'm soccer player but that twist the feet move that player did is kick. Terrible call.

50/50 on the disallowed UAA goal. He was there but not interfering until he gets knocked in.

Matyas just did not look solid. I still like Gundy.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

"First off, that was a kick. Maybe it's because I'm soccer player but that twist the feet move that player did is kick. Terrible call.

50/50 on the disallowed UAA goal. He was there but not interfering until he gets knocked in."

I have to agree! I thought it was a much better game by UAA than Friday.
                Upper Deck Fan

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak
                  So frustrating again!

First off, that was a kick. Maybe it's because I'm soccer player but that twist the feet move that player did is kick. Terrible call.
                  Agreed, he totally saw the puck, and he fell down because he was kicking it in.

50/50 on the disallowed UAA goal. He was there but not interfering until he gets knocked in.
                  Disagree, had that been our goalie who was knocked over I wouldn't have wanted it to count.

Matyas just did not look solid. I still like Gundy.
                  Agreed again.
                  Last edited by Suze; 11-16-2013, 10:30 PM.
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLK5q...r6r1FgbFKf-fOA

Here's a link to the video for those wondering.
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLK5q...r6r1FgbFKf-fOA

Here's a link to the video for those wondering.

Check out the fan support after Bailey's goal!

http://youtu.be/bLK5qMUxfXE?t=2m15s

Comment

Originally posted by hockeytownak View Post
                        Check out the fan support after Bailey's goal!

http://youtu.be/bLK5qMUxfXE?t=2m15s
                        I noticed that as well. Kurt said that Scott Allen's parents were there - so glad he got a hatty in front of them! Congrats Scott. Maybe he'll get WCHA offensive play of the week!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I would like to give kudos to the UAA fans at the games Friday and Saturday. I was impressed with both their enthusiasm and civility.

As for the two questionable calls; the first was definitely goalie interference, Friesen was not pushed into the goalie, he ran into Brewer and then fell against Walsh. As for the second – if that’s the way the rule change is going be interpreted we need to go back. From my vantage point Marinaccio made no kicking motion at all, but in the act of stopping he did kick the puck into the goal and it should have also been disallowed.

Comment

Anyone know the Coaches Luncheon dates and venues?
                            Thanks for the help!

Found it
                            Coaches luncheons
                            Friday 12/6 at the Millennium
                            Friday 1/10 at the Millennium
                            Friday 2/14 at The Commons on the UAA Campus

Chalk Talk
                            Matt Thomas hosts a pregame "Chalk Talk" Free on Fridays
                            11/22, 12/13, 1/24
                            Last edited by Seawolf Fan; 11-17-2013, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                              Anyone know the Coaches Luncheon dates and venues?
                              Thanks for the help!

Found it
                              Coaches luncheons
                              Friday 12/6 at the Millennium
                              Friday 1/10 at the Millennium
                              Friday 2/14 at The Commons on the UAA Campus

Chalk Talk
                              Matt Thomas hosts a pregame "Chalk Talk" Free on Fridays
                              11/22, 12/13, 1/24
                              RSVP only call UAA Athletics 786-1211 and prepay for the luncheons
                              Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 11-18-2013, 06:58 PM.
                              Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                              UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                                I noticed that as well. Kurt said that Scott Allen's parents were there - so glad he got a hatty in front of them! Congrats Scott. Maybe he'll get WCHA offensive play of the week!
                                Scott leads the WCHA in Scoring (9 points) and Power Play Goals (3) and second in the league in goals with (6). Also Jordon Kwas leads the league in assists with (6).
                                Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Working...
                                X