This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SAEMike View Post
    You're kidding me right? You don't think I've had conversations with the athletic department over the last 12-13 years? Do you know my history? You've talked here like you know all about me, so do you know all about me or are you just full of it and . . . well . . . chirping?
    Ok, have you tried applying for a job in the Athletic Department? Because beyond those two options b*ing on a message isn't going to do anything.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: UAA seawolves thread 2013-2014 the old has gone the new has come

Originally posted by SAEMike View Post
      You're kidding me right? You don't think I've had conversations with the athletic department over the last 12-13 years? Do you know my history? You've talked here like you know all about me, so do you know all about me or are you just full of it and . . . well . . . chirping?
      No ..... but I respectfully asked them to close the balcony and jam everybody in the bowl. See stuff does work.
      Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
      UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

• Originally posted by SAEMike View Post
        You talked to cobb, not Hackett.
        Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          Ok, have you tried applying for a job in the Athletic Department? Because beyond those two options b*ing on a message isn't going to do anything.
          No, I have no interest in the pay cut that would entail. I did run for student body president and won and was able to effect some change. However, that position helped me see how disinterested this athletic department is in public input and even student input. It's pathetic. We have a university system that prides itself on not only giving students a seat at the table but the athletic department actively worked against that principle.

I think that because Chancellor Gorsuch was on his way out, he didn't take action on what was going on in the Athletic Department, because he saw it, and I had meetings with him about it. After that we had two figurehead chancellors who were clueless about what was going on in various areas in the University and then Tom Case came along and he was part of the problem. By that point President Hamilton had left the university system as well and that hurt the atmosphere of student involvement statewide. It became something that was important, but certainly was no longer considered a mandatory thing. (as it should be) it was during this time that Steve Cobb allowed a change in the Seawolf mascot without any student input, watched as NCAA rules changes ruined the Great Alaska Shootout and did nothing to change it or lobby against the rule changes and allowed several traditions within the university to fall by the wayside.

Under Dr. Cobb the hockey program was treated as just one of many sports within the athletic department. With the figurehead chancellors and then Tom Case (who was part of the problem) the problem was just allowed to fester and get worse. Then there were Title IX complaints and some sexual harassment complaints from female athletes. (Those existed for Dr. Cobb's entire tenure.)

After all of that, it took what was probably a non event between Coach Shyiak and Nick Haddad to get rid of Dr. Cobb and it still didn't happen until the Governor had to point out that Tom Case was completely failing the leadership test. (this coming from a Governor who fails the leadership test on a regular basis)

I happen to have the ability to bring some of this to light in a public forum and in the largest newspaper in the state, so I do - That doesn't mean that's all I do. I'm hoping to meet with the new athletic director here in the next week or two.

Conclusions - #1. I know more about what I'm talking about than you think #2. I've been doing this longer than you. #3. Assumptions are bad . . . . mmmmkay?
          Last edited by SAEMike; 11-10-2013, 09:55 PM.
          Lets Go Seawolves!

Comment

No, I have no interest in the pay cut that would entail. I did run for student body president and won and was able to effect some change. However, that position helped me see how disinterested this athletic department is in public input and even student input. It's pathetic. We have a university system that prides itself on not only giving students a seat at the table but the athletic department actively worked against that principle.
            As it probably should have. The AD at UAA has always had a dozen special interests with "this and that" regarding any number of issues associated with the hockey program. Cobb mishandled all that in a political sense by blowing smoke up everyone's skirts but that was the biggest of his faults. Empowering the Booster Club to make most of the "game day" decisions regarding the Sully is a proper move. The students can have their input into the Booster Club. They welcome (beg for) actual participation. Having a seat at the table because one is a student? Pfft .... dere's 15,000+ students and 14,500 of them don't give a rip about hockey.

I think that because Chancellor Gorsuch was on his way out, he didn't take action on what was going on in the Athletic Department, because he saw it, and I had meetings with him about it. After that we had two figurehead chancellors who were clueless about what was going on in various areas in the University and then Tom Case came along and he was part of the problem. By that point President Hamilton had left the university system as well and that hurt the atmosphere of student involvement statewide. It became something that was important, but certainly was no longer considered a mandatory thing. (as it should be) it was during this time that Steve Cobb allowed a change in the Seawolf mascot without any student input, watched as NCAA rules changes ruined the Great Alaska Shootout and did nothing to change it or lobby against the rule changes and allowed several traditions within the university to fall by the wayside.
            The AD at UAA has less authority than he should have. An Athletic Department that reports to the Administration Department is a hinderance to change.

Under Dr. Cobb the hockey program was treated as just one of many sports within the athletic department. With the figurehead chancellors and then Tom Case (who was part of the problem) the problem was just allowed to fester and get worse. Then there were Title IX complaints and some sexual harassment complaints from female athletes. (Those existed for Dr. Cobb's entire tenure.)
            Compare the number of "incidents" of whatever variety you choose between UAA and their peer schools. There was nothing out of sorts (in particular hockey). And the title IX issues were resolved equitably and good for the women who brought it up and got the changes. Nothing here is any sort of relevant negative assertion against the previous Athletic administration ...

After all of that, it took what was probably a non event between Coach Shyiak and Nick Haddad to get rid of Dr. Cobb and it still didn't happen until the Governor had to point out that Tom Case was completely failing the leadership test. (this coming from a Governor who fails the leadership test on a regular basis)
            No. That's not what happened.

I happen to have the ability to bring some of this to light in a public forum and in the largest newspaper in the state, so I do - That doesn't mean that's all I do. I'm hoping to meet with the new athletic director here in the next week or two.

Conclusions - #1. I know more about what I'm talking about than you think #2. I've been doing this longer than you. #3. Assumptions are bad . . . . mmmmkay?
            Express your informed (less than you think in my view) opinion as you wish. You have no singular position with regard to experience, support or "fandom" than any number of people here.

Comment

1. You're a wannabe smug a-hole who thinks he's more important than he really is and I can see why nobody will listen to you.

2. If you are really concerned about problems then you need to be involved by either getting a job and being part of the process OR donating a crap ton of money so that it forces them to listen to you. Don't do one of those two things and they don't care. It's a sad fact but that's the way the world works. Remember the Golden Rule: "He with the gold, makes the rules." So either be in charge of the gold or have the gold.

3. You haven't talked to the new Athletic Director. What you have done before means absolutely dick.

4. Hackett has been on the job what? Three months? You don't set the world on fire in three months. He needs time to figure out whats going on in the Athletic Department before he can make changes. Does he need input? Yes he does, but he's going to get it from a myriad of people and not just you.

5. Posting here does nothing, as has been stated. Writing an editorial for the ADN does nothing. Why? Because you're nobody. And because you have the leadership skills of a wet blanket, you can't get anybody to listen.

6. Being a smug a-hole is bad mmmkay.
              I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Change is hard to come by in the highly political UA System. We need to break away and become Alaska State University (and our own BOR)

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                  Change is hard to come by in the highly political UA System. We need to break away and become Alaska State University (and our own BOR)
                  That's the plan I advocate. Total equality or total separation.
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

How many times does sae mike have to be told his self absorbed, my way or the highway, I'm the only one that counts, I won't work within the system, way of doing things doesn't work?
                    He has NEVER, EVER, made a positive post on this thread.
                    He claims to have hundreds of thousands of followers on his face book page, millions in his radio audience, I don't know how many he claims agree with his newspaper tirades, he got 50,000 votes for student body president and now he can't afford to give up his millions of dollars a year income to try and help but I know this: He is a buffoon.
                    He is hard to ignore due to his outrageous demands.
                    Hopefully his meeting with the the AD will produce the same results he's had with his other endeavors at the University....nil, nada, nothing, a waste of everybody's time.
                    Bye, adios, get away, you stink.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                      Not sure how I feel about this, but it's certainly worth considering!
                      Originally Posted by aparch
                      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

The Legislature is rightly critical of the UA administrative structure. They have little stomach to fund one administrative bureaucracy, much less two.

Comment

Good night people......enough......who we play again this week?
                          If I had a cool pic or saying it would go here.

Comment

2 points on the road and 4 at home will put a team in a pretty good conference spot
                            We got the 4 at home last weekend and hoping for 4 more this weekend at Bemidji

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                              Not sure how I feel about this, but it's certainly worth considering!
                              This idea is a running joke within the university governance system. The idea was originally floated after the merger by people that were unhappy (and rightfully so) when the University system came in and destroyed the community college after promising to keep the community college structure in tact. The idea was shot down and then there was an effort to create a private university and separate from the University system that died pretty quickly too.

I do believe the merger was ultimately a good thing - however, they should have kept Anchorage Community College in tact and separate from the University. We tried to do this in 2000 when we attempted to purchase the entire University Center. The problem was that the roof repairs were going to cost more than the building was worth and we couldn't get the appraisal to equal what the BOR was willing to pay for the building.

Had the BOR purchased the University Center, the entire community college would have moved in there. All ACC (or now CTC) classes would have been there and they would have had their own administration structure in the building. Unfortunately that never happened.
                              Lets Go Seawolves!

Comment

Well there is no reason we couldnt get a few state senators on board to amend the Alaska constitution that would allow two systems. One based in Fairbanks and one in Anchorage. We could be ASU, and Fairbanks UA. Then we could really move in direction we want. Many states have two or more systems. It is not unheard of.

Comment

Working...
                                X