PDA

View Full Version : UAA seawolves thread 2013-2014 the old has gone the new has come

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

Suze
12-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Whoever is doing the SOG call needs improvement. Maybe that seat doesn't have a very good view because this appears to be a multi year long problem on both ends of the ice.
Whoever is doing the music this year is doing a great job!

The shot count has been a problem for a long time. A few years ago the coaching staff decided they would have someone on the bench track the shots and see how they measured up with the "official" count. I don't know what ever came of that experiment. But clearly some change is in order.

I heard a rumor about Lyle in the booster room, and if it's true it may be a case of personal matters taking preference. I do prefer him and hope all is well with he and his family.

Seawolf Fan
12-15-2013, 05:47 PM
I wish Lyle only the best in his personal life.
Whoever is doing the music this year is doing an excellent job.
Have heard nothing but compliments on his/her play selections.

UAA Seawolves Fan
12-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what happened to Lyle woods? Did he quit again?

I heard a rumor about Lyle in the booster room, and if it's true it may be a case of personal matters taking preference. I do prefer him and hope all is well with he and his family.
Lyle has been gone due to family matters. I believe he will be back in the second half

UAA Seawolves Fan
12-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Whoever is doing the SOG call needs improvement. Maybe that seat doesn't have a very good view because this appears to be a multi year long problem on both ends of the ice.

The shot count has been a problem for a long time. A few years ago the coaching staff decided they would have someone on the bench track the shots and see how they measured up with the "official" count. I don't know what ever came of that experiment. But clearly some change is in order.
All off ice officials are volunteers. There has been difficulties the last couple years of finding people who will fill those spots. That has resulted in short staffing for some of the positions. I agree that there is some problems with counting shots on a regular basis. Since these are all volunteer positions, if anybody is interested in consistently helping, I'm sure that would help alleviate some of the problems.

gfmorris
12-15-2013, 06:30 PM
All off ice officials are volunteers. There has been difficulties the last couple years of finding people who will fill those spots. That has resulted in short staffing for some of the positions. I agree that there is some problems with counting shots on a regular basis. Since these are all volunteer positions, if anybody is interested in consistently helping, I'm sure that would help alleviate some of the problems.

At UAH, it's a volunteer or student staffer. One night, we were going to be very short-handed, and I had my choice (because I'm awesome) of +/- or SOG. Guess which one I picked!

GFM

Seawolf Fan
12-15-2013, 06:57 PM

So just where does the SOG person sit at Sully?
Press box?
Official box by penalty box?
Up with the video folks?
And how about that poor person who has to keep track of + -?
That's gotta be a super tough job.

Hal9K
12-15-2013, 07:41 PM
Shots on goal is a bit tricky. Has to result in a goal or a save or it's nothing. Off the post...no shot on goal. Off the crossbar, no shot on goal.

Jimjamesak
12-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Shots on goal is a bit tricky. Has to result in a goal or a save or it's nothing. Off the post...no shot on goal. Off the crossbar, no shot on goal.
Off a defender, blocked shot.

gfmorris
12-15-2013, 09:42 PM

You then have to credit a specific defender. All of this gets entered by one person. It ain't easy.

GFM

Suze
12-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Press box?
Up with the video folks?

I thought the shot keeper sat where the refs do video review, but I very well could be wrong. Of course, it would be difficult when they are on one side of the ice and the shot comes to the goalie on the opposite side of the ice. It can be hard to tell if a shot is on net or not, depending on where they are sitting. I have seen shots credited and then removed, and I wonder what prompts that action. At least it's not as bad as it was a few years ago when DD ranted and raved about it. There were times when the shots were credited to the wrong team, and I haven't seen that happen this season.

Seawolf Fan
12-15-2013, 09:49 PM
Press box?
Up with the video folks?
Thanks for all the input but it begs the questions.
repeating:
Press box?
Up with the video folks?

Seawolf Fan
12-15-2013, 09:51 PM
I thought the shot keeper sat where the refs do video review, but I very well could be wrong. Of course, it would be difficult when they are on one side of the ice and the shot comes to the goalie on the opposite side of the ice. It can be hard to tell if a shot is on net or not, depending on where they are sitting. I have seen shots credited and then removed, and I wonder what prompts that action. At least it's not as bad as it was a few years ago when DD ranted and raved about it. There were times when the shots were credited to the wrong team, and I haven't seen that happen this season.
And unfortunately we haven't seen much of DD this season.

Hal9K
12-15-2013, 10:44 PM
Thanks for all the input but it begs the questions.
repeating:
Press box?
Up with the video folks?
The most logical choice would be the goal judge. But we don't want to bring logic into this. The score keepers area by the penalty boxes is horrible to view shots from. You would think it is great but it sucks.

Hal9K
12-15-2013, 10:47 PM

Yeah, you see goalies make glove saves wide of the net...no shot on goal.

Alaska Hockey
12-16-2013, 01:05 AM
The most logical choice would be the goal judge. But we don't want to bring logic into this. The score keepers area by the penalty boxes is horrible to view shots from. You would think it is great but it sucks.
..........and the video to do slow replays

AlaskaRox
12-16-2013, 02:44 AM

If I hadn't dropped in here so late, I'd call my neighbor and ask her. She did the SOG tally sheets for UAA a few years ago.. not sure if she still does. I haven't seen her in a while.

When I did SOG tallying at the Boeke and Dempsey arenas (kid's games) I sat in the teensy area wedged in between the two penalty boxes. The refs skate up & tell you crap throughout the game. Like.. "hey, you started the clock too soon!" or.. "uh.. that wasn't a shot ya know" .. :o Kid's games generally had one person doing both scorekeeping & shots.

I never even thought to look at where they sit at the Sully.. :confused: If they're with the scorekeeper, you'd think they were down there by the penalty box where the refs can talk to them, but I don't have a clue..

BTW.. What's up with the person running the lights in there lately? Why are they keeping it pitch dark as the players are announced & skate out? Realllly lame.

Last thing.. I love listening to Kurt diss our crummy glass! :p He did say on Saturday though that the new glass they're installing before next season is supposed to be super nice. It's sad that while all the other UAA teams are looking forward to their mega-million dollar Alaska Airlines Sports Arena, we're just looking forward to new glass.. What's wrong with this picture? :rolleyes:

UAA Seawolves Fan
12-16-2013, 03:45 AM
Press box?
Up with the video folks?
Unless something has changed recently, the SOG person had been positioned between the penalty box area where the official scorer is. That being said, there is a split screen TV monitor that shows both goalie nets (used for ref replay of goals) that shows live play, until a goal needs to be reviewed at which time the video can be re-winded and slowed down as needed. Theoretically this could be used to see if a shot is really a SOG or not. Its been a little while since I took a look at any of this, but I know at one point this was how things had been setup at the Sully at one point.

UAA Seawolves Fan
12-16-2013, 03:51 AM
Kid's games generally had one person doing both scorekeeping & shots.[QUOTE]
This has happened at times for UAA games when the stats crew has been short on consistent volunteers...

[QUOTE]BTW.. What's up with the person running the lights in there lately? Why are they keeping it pitch dark as the players are announced & skate out? Realllly lame.
The Sullivan staff run the lights as they are instructed by the UAA athletic department for pregame activities. Just as for other events that use the building, the staff largely follow the direction of the people paying the bill at the time and pregame/intermission activities are one of those areas of an event that are performed at the direction of the building user. Your concerns are more at issue with particular folks at the UAA Athletic Department over somebody at the Sully

Last thing.. I love listening to Kurt diss our crummy glass! :p He did say on Saturday though that the new glass they're installing before next season is supposed to be super nice. It's sad that while all the other UAA teams are looking forward to their mega-million dollar Alaska Airlines Sports Arena, we're just looking forward to new glass.. What's wrong with this picture? :rolleyes:
Thank you Mayor Dan Sullivan...

Seawolf Fan
12-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Thank you Mayor Dan Sullivan...

Mayor Sneak says $7,000,000 (and Sneak never gives the true $ number) for his tennis court and screw any upkeep maintenance on our existing ice facilities.
Update the facilities that see so much use that ice time is sold from O dark 30 until late at night?
Or pour untold millions into an under used tennis facility?
The Alaska Club has a tennis facility that is so under utilized they are willing to sell it at a loss just to get it off their books.
But Mayor Sneak wants a facility to be named after him not update one named for his father.
What a guy!

seawolfpunk
12-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Mayor Sneak says $7,000,000 (and Sneak never gives the true $ number) for his tennis court and screw any upkeep maintenance on our existing ice facilities.
Update the facilities that see so much use that ice time is sold from O dark 30 until late at night?
Or pour untold millions into an under used tennis facility?
The Alaska Club has a tennis facility that is so under utilized they are willing to sell it at a loss just to get it off their books.
But Mayor Sneak wants a facility to be named after him not update one named for his father.
What a guy!
Not gonna lie I am half tempted to vote him for lieutenant governor just to get him out of town.