X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA seawolves thread 2013-2014 the old has gone the new has come

Originally posted by WillH View Post
    We arrive on the 5th and plan on making it to games on the 6th and 7th, so we will look for you. We are going to miss the UAA games. We have the San Antonio Rampage here so will be able to see some hockey but just not the WCHA and college hockey. Look forward to seeing you guys in Dec. Go Seawolves!!
    So many former fans we've known have moved away from Alaska, or become snowbirds and are gone for the winter. UAA needs to find a way to tap into the younger generation to fill those holes!!
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
      The UA_/UBC game was live (I think it was anyway) - why are these games delayed a few hours?
      the america one sports feed are live...as radio...FOX 7 tries to air the road games they broadcast live, but sometimes has to tape delay because of fox sports programming...and the games are also on GCI one and air sometimes live and tape delay...UAA is also on GCI one....

Comment

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
        the america one sports feed are live...as radio...FOX 7 tries to air the road games they broadcast live, but sometimes has to tape delay because of fox sports programming...and the games are also on GCI one and air sometimes live and tape delay...UAA is also on GCI one....
        Thanks. UAA's away games have always been live - even the games in Fairbanks - until this season. It just seems odd.
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
          Quite a few prospects on that team. Nothing against any of the guys coming to UAA but other than Mantha I'd tend to think they are not Tier 1 prospects/players necessarily. We had a bit of a "pipeline" with some pretty strong Spruce Grove teams but other colleges got the higher level prospects. Nothing wrong with Scott Allen or Cameron or Coldwell ... but they aren't in general recognized in the same Tier as some of the Spruce Grove guys that went to other schools.

What we UAA fans have to hope is that the guys we get in general (from anywhere) are "underrated" and/or late bloomers.

Again, nothing against any of these future guys that have been announced but none of them are what other people might call difference makers. At least yet they aren't. They could all develop. Conti in particular since he's the youngest. We'll see.

Cam Amantea is only 19 and he has 3-4--7 totals in eight games. According to Woody, he plays on Penticton's "Trench Line,'' playing against the opponent's top line. He certainly sounds solid, and should only get better with more experience!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Well, I disagree with you. Penticton is a strong team who recruits well, and we don't generally get players from there. And Shyiak and staff were either way behind the 8 ball when it came to recruiting, or players simply didn't want to come to UAA (probably a little of both). I see these recruits signing so early in the season a positive sign for UAA.

And what's wrong with Cameron and Allen? I think they are very strong players! Cameron was on a mission all last weekend.
            You miss the point ... my bad. Cameron and Allen were not Tier 1 prospects. They weren't on any scouting lists for the NHL draft. Now that in and of itself doesn't mean a kid isn't a good D1 prospect. Cameron and Allen certainly were and have shown themselves to be very adept players at this level. But ... there are lots of Cameron's and Allen's playing junior hockey. There are lots of Amantea's and Conti's as well.

My point is that what we're seeing come to UAA under Matt Thomas are not significant upgrades from past recruits. Shyiak got plenty of decent talent as well and you're seeing some of that even this year. Last year's class wasn't bad and this year's class is looking pretty good. I hope Thomas can land some "difference makers" ... I'm not sure that anyone we've seen yet is. The Jake kid from Minnesota playing in the AJHL looks to be the best prospect ... Mantha is promising. Conti might be. After those guys it's not overly impressive.

If you want a better idea ... take a look at Spruce Grove's roster from when Allen and Cameron came to UAA. One of those years they were far and away the dominant team in Candaian juniors winning something like 70 games. Look at the stats and note the players on it and the fact that they went to places like UND and DU.

Again, I'm not poo pooing Thomas or his staff's recruiting efforts. Just saying it isn't time to get excited.

Comment

Cam Amantea is only 19 and he has 3-4--7 totals in eight games. According to Woody, he plays on Penticton's "Trench Line,'' playing against the opponent's top line. He certainly sounds solid, and should only get better with more experience!
              And he appears to be out with an injury for perhaps the rest of the season.

Amantea has played in eight games this season, picking up three goals and seven points, and was on pace for a fifty-point season before being side-lined with an upper-body injury.

I doubt you'd see mention of this if his injury was something short-term.
              Last edited by uaafanblog; 10-17-2013, 11:58 AM.

Comment

I found an interesting "Q&A with Matt Thomas" article on College Hockey News

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...coach_matt.php

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                  And he appears to be out with an injury for perhaps the rest of the season.

Amantea has played in eight games this season, picking up three goals and seven points, and was on pace for a fifty-point season before being side-lined with an upper-body injury.

I doubt you'd see mention of this if his injury was something short-term.
                  I don't like to speculate on things like that ... I'm hoping for the best for Cam.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I found an interesting "Q&A with Matt Thomas" article on College Hockey News

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...coach_matt.php
                    There's also a short interview with Amantea from a couple of days before.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...a_uaas_cam.php

Comment

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
                      ...and the games are also on GCI one and air sometimes live and tape delay...UAA is also on GCI one....
                      I just called some dipwad @ GCI and asked if the games would be broadcasted live on channel 1. Told him that their schedule shows them airing UAA @ 8pm and UAF @ 11pm and asked if that was right.

His response was "schedule? huh? whaaa? " After putting me on hold and asking someone else there, he came back and said "Maybe you could turn the tv on when the game starts and then we'll all know for sure when it's on" ......

Comment

• Originally posted by AlaskaRox View Post
                        I just called some dipwad @ GCI and asked if the games would be broadcasted live on channel 1. Told him that their schedule shows them airing UAA @ 8pm and UAF @ 11pm and asked if that was right.

His response was "schedule? huh? whaaa? " After putting me on hold and asking someone else there, he came back and said "Maybe you could turn the tv on when the game starts and then we'll all know for sure when it's on" ......
                        I'm checking on that actually, I work for the company so I can find out
                        Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
                          I'm checking on that..
                          Awesome ~ thanks seawolfpunk ♡ ..Even if we have to watch it tape-delayed for some reason, at least we have Kurt!!

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaRox View Post

Yeah, I've had the same kind of "help" from GCI too.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Hey Suze.. with them switching radio stations this year, hopefully you'll have better luck with picking up Kurt's broadcast out there in the Valley? Hope so!

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaRox View Post
                                Hey Suze.. with them switching radio stations this year, hopefully you'll have better luck with picking up Kurt's broadcast out there in the Valley? Hope so!
                                I hope so too!!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X