PDA

View Full Version : UAA seawolves thread 2013-2014 the old has gone the new has come

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

WillH
10-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Message for Suze from Will and Dori Sec 213. We are continuing to follow UAA, but we have moved and are now living in San Antonio, Tx. We will be back in Anchorage in Dec and hope to be able to see UAA play while we are there. Nice to see the guys start out well, but we have seen that before. This year could be the year of change. Hope you and Mr. Suze are doing well.
Will

Suze
10-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Message for Suze from Will and Dori Sec 213. We are continuing to follow UAA, but we have moved and are now living in San Antonio, Tx. We will be back in Anchorage in Dec and hope to be able to see UAA play while we are there. Nice to see the guys start out well, but we have seen that before. This year could be the year of change. Hope you and Mr. Suze are doing well.
Will

Will! We wondered where you guys had been ... but figured with all those trips to Hawaii you made that you were wanting to be in a warmer climate. I certainly understand that! We will miss you both! Hopefully you can make it to one of the games in December (6 &7 and 13 & 14). If you do, look us up. We have the same seats, only on the opposite side of the ice. Tell Dori hi for us.

seawolfpunk
10-16-2013, 01:35 PM
New recruit cam amantea from pentiction in the bchl via woody

gfmorris
10-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Any idea other than travelling to the far dark north where the UAA Goal Rush games can be seen???
GCI? Online? Satellite at a bar? Beam me up Scotty?

Why would this get aired differently than last week's games?

GFM

UAA08
10-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Why would this get aired differently than last week's games?

GFM

I think he's talking about the local broadcast. They have the UAA-Western game on tape delay.

I wanted to ask you if they showed the Kendall Hockey Classic games on America One?

AKJD
10-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Yes they did.

Suze
10-16-2013, 07:50 PM

Here's the press release from Penticton:

http://www.pentictonvees.ca/leagues/newsletter.cfm?clientID=3172&leagueID=8370&page=74014

Sounds like a great kid and a solid recruit. Welcome Cam!

AKSWF
10-16-2013, 08:56 PM

Cam is the third Pentiction Vee to commit under Matt Thomas' era. Must be our new pipeline eh?

uaafanblog
10-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Quite a few prospects on that team. Nothing against any of the guys coming to UAA but other than Mantha I'd tend to think they are not Tier 1 prospects/players necessarily. We had a bit of a "pipeline" with some pretty strong Spruce Grove teams but other colleges got the higher level prospects. Nothing wrong with Scott Allen or Cameron or Coldwell ... but they aren't in general recognized in the same Tier as some of the Spruce Grove guys that went to other schools.

What we UAA fans have to hope is that the guys we get in general (from anywhere) are "underrated" and/or late bloomers.

Again, nothing against any of these future guys that have been announced but none of them are what other people might call difference makers. At least yet they aren't. They could all develop. Conti in particular since he's the youngest. We'll see.

gfmorris
10-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Yes they did.

They looked great! The only problem was not having an audio feed of whatever TV station was doing the games, but eventually a radio feed was piped in and synchronized fairly well. I am very happy with the AmericaOne offering so far.

GFM

Suze
10-17-2013, 12:32 AM
Quite a few prospects on that team. Nothing against any of the guys coming to UAA but other than Mantha I'd tend to think they are not Tier 1 prospects/players necessarily. We had a bit of a "pipeline" with some pretty strong Spruce Grove teams but other colleges got the higher level prospects. Nothing wrong with Scott Allen or Cameron or Coldwell ... but they aren't in general recognized in the same Tier as some of the Spruce Grove guys that went to other schools.

What we UAA fans have to hope is that the guys we get in general (from anywhere) are "underrated" and/or late bloomers.

Again, nothing against any of these future guys that have been announced but none of them are what other people might call difference makers. At least yet they aren't. They could all develop. Conti in particular since he's the youngest. We'll see.

Well, I disagree with you. Penticton is a strong team who recruits well, and we don't generally get players from there. And Shyiak and staff were either way behind the 8 ball when it came to recruiting, or players simply didn't want to come to UAA (probably a little of both). I see these recruits signing so early in the season a positive sign for UAA.

And what's wrong with Cameron and Allen? I think they are very strong players! Cameron was on a mission all last weekend.

fairbanks hockey puck
10-17-2013, 01:26 AM
They looked great! The only problem was not having an audio feed of whatever TV station was doing the games, but eventually a radio feed was piped in and synchronized fairly well. I am very happy with the AmericaOne offering so far.

GFM

The video feed from the Carlson will not be in high definition...the equipment hasn't arrived yet...Camera angles not the best either...As far as I know, both the Fairbanks and Anchorage America One and GCI statewide feeds(and FOX 7 TV for Fairbanks) use the radio simulcast audio....Did I hear that the Lake State Lakers video feed had no audio???

Suze
10-17-2013, 01:35 AM
The video feed from the Carlson will not be in high definition...the equipment hasn't arrived yet...Camera angles not the best either...As far as I know, both the Fairbanks and Anchorage America One and GCI statewide feeds(and FOX 7 TV for Fairbanks) use the radio simulcast audio....Did I hear that the Lake State Lakers video feed had no audio???

The UA_/UBC game was live (I think it was anyway) - why are these games delayed a few hours?

Alaska Hockey
10-17-2013, 01:52 AM
The video feed from the Carlson will not be in high definition...the equipment hasn't arrived yet...Camera angles not the best either... and ......... camera operators have no inkling as to capturing the spectator sport of ice hockey on video , their camera positions give that away from the get go, they just validate the suspicion . Somebody said they were where they are at is so they could get the best angles of the “Kissing Cam” which goes on forever that you feel that the game was a commercial. Last but not least ……… Geezer security (according to mmf on an earlier report) and if he said they are geezer’s. Folks…….. they be Geezers .

WillH
10-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Will! We wondered where you guys had been ... but figured with all those trips to Hawaii you made that you were wanting to be in a warmer climate. I certainly understand that! We will miss you both! Hopefully you can make it to one of the games in December (6 &7 and 13 & 14). If you do, look us up. We have the same seats, only on the opposite side of the ice. Tell Dori hi for us.

We arrive on the 5th and plan on making it to games on the 6th and 7th, so we will look for you. We are going to miss the UAA games. We have the San Antonio Rampage here so will be able to see some hockey but just not the WCHA and college hockey. Look forward to seeing you guys in Dec. Go Seawolves!!

Suze
10-17-2013, 11:05 AM
We arrive on the 5th and plan on making it to games on the 6th and 7th, so we will look for you. We are going to miss the UAA games. We have the San Antonio Rampage here so will be able to see some hockey but just not the WCHA and college hockey. Look forward to seeing you guys in Dec. Go Seawolves!!

So many former fans we've known have moved away from Alaska, or become snowbirds and are gone for the winter. UAA needs to find a way to tap into the younger generation to fill those holes!!

fairbanks hockey puck
10-17-2013, 11:14 AM
The UA_/UBC game was live (I think it was anyway) - why are these games delayed a few hours?

the america one sports feed are live...as radio...FOX 7 tries to air the road games they broadcast live, but sometimes has to tape delay because of fox sports programming...and the games are also on GCI one and air sometimes live and tape delay...UAA is also on GCI one....

Suze
10-17-2013, 11:20 AM
the america one sports feed are live...as radio...FOX 7 tries to air the road games they broadcast live, but sometimes has to tape delay because of fox sports programming...and the games are also on GCI one and air sometimes live and tape delay...UAA is also on GCI one....

Thanks. UAA's away games have always been live - even the games in Fairbanks - until this season. It just seems odd.

Suze
10-17-2013, 11:23 AM

Cam Amantea is only 19 and he has 3-4--7 totals in eight games. According to Woody, he plays on Penticton's "Trench Line,'' playing against the opponent's top line. He certainly sounds solid, and should only get better with more experience!

uaafanblog
10-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Well, I disagree with you. Penticton is a strong team who recruits well, and we don't generally get players from there. And Shyiak and staff were either way behind the 8 ball when it came to recruiting, or players simply didn't want to come to UAA (probably a little of both). I see these recruits signing so early in the season a positive sign for UAA.

And what's wrong with Cameron and Allen? I think they are very strong players! Cameron was on a mission all last weekend.

You miss the point ... my bad. Cameron and Allen were not Tier 1 prospects. They weren't on any scouting lists for the NHL draft. Now that in and of itself doesn't mean a kid isn't a good D1 prospect. Cameron and Allen certainly were and have shown themselves to be very adept players at this level. But ... there are lots of Cameron's and Allen's playing junior hockey. There are lots of Amantea's and Conti's as well.

My point is that what we're seeing come to UAA under Matt Thomas are not significant upgrades from past recruits. Shyiak got plenty of decent talent as well and you're seeing some of that even this year. Last year's class wasn't bad and this year's class is looking pretty good. I hope Thomas can land some "difference makers" ... I'm not sure that anyone we've seen yet is. The Jake kid from Minnesota playing in the AJHL looks to be the best prospect ... Mantha is promising. Conti might be. After those guys it's not overly impressive.

If you want a better idea ... take a look at Spruce Grove's roster from when Allen and Cameron came to UAA. One of those years they were far and away the dominant team in Candaian juniors winning something like 70 games. Look at the stats and note the players on it and the fact that they went to places like UND and DU.

Again, I'm not poo pooing Thomas or his staff's recruiting efforts. Just saying it isn't time to get excited.