PDA

View Full Version : UAA seawolves thread 2013-2014 the old has gone the new has come

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

SAEMike
10-02-2013, 09:41 AM
The University of Alaska Anchorage Athletics program has decided it's curtains for the UAA hockey program - literally.

Instead of working to fill the seats of the Sullivan Arena, the UAA Athletic Department has decided to purchase curtains to cover all but a few rows of one section of the balcony seating.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2013/10/01/3104584/mike-dingman-curtains-wont-help.html#storylink=cpyhttp://www.adn.com/2013/10/01/3104584/mike-dingman-curtains-wont-help.html

gfmorris
10-02-2013, 10:17 AM
As does every state in our beautiful nation. :cool:

I don't know, man. I lived in Mississippi for six years, and other than having family there ...

GFM

Hal9K
10-02-2013, 10:56 AM
The University of Alaska Anchorage Athletics program has decided it's curtains for the UAA hockey program - literally.

Instead of working to fill the seats of the Sullivan Arena, the UAA Athletic Department has decided to purchase curtains to cover all but a few rows of one section of the balcony seating.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2013/10/01/3104584/mike-dingman-curtains-wont-help.html#storylink=cpyhttp://www.adn.com/2013/10/01/3104584/mike-dingman-curtains-wont-help.html
Cowbells....LMAO, yeah for hillbilly hockey. I ordered Aces season tickets and UAA season tickets thru my employer for many many years. The problem especially with the Aces tickets as they play more home games is sooner or later you can't give them away to people interested in going, so you end up donating them. Personally I don't see anything wrong with the new seating policy......except our pathetic excuse for glass. Once again F* cowbells and the dolts that bring them.

Suze
10-02-2013, 07:43 PM

An earlier ADN article said that $10,000 was spent to purchase seat covers, which could be removed if more seating room was needed. So which is it? I don't see how curtains would work on the north side of the arena where there are 6 rows of seats open. Curtains on the left and right of this section would block the view for those who are in the balcony.

There are things in this article that are not at all factual.
Before they (the Alaska Wild) moved to this extreme step, however, the Wild gave away as many tickets as they could, they reached out to community organizations and businesses to get people in the door for free and lowered the price of tickets and packages of tickets - I have seen no evidence that UAA has done any of this. Instead, they ordered curtains.

Actually, UAA has done a TON of this. Passes have been handed out to fans so they can invite people to the games. The local highschool players and students get in free for every game, and you know that group of rowdy kids from the Military Youth Academy (the ones who added so much atmosphere to the arena), they all got in for free! So don't tell me that UAA hasn't done any of this. All sorts of groups have been offered free tickets, but not all take advantage of the offer.

UAA athletics should take a field trip to an Alaska Aces game. Bob Lester is a master at getting crowds up on their feet and making noise. The Aces enhanced this level of noise by selling and encouraging people to use cowbells.

When it comes to college sports, there is a little thing called the NCAA that they have to deal with. Lyle isn't allowed to rally the troops, it is against NCAA rules. Anyway, I wouldn't want a Bob Lester kind of announcer at UAA games.

uaafanblog
10-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Bob Lester is an affront to hockey. Hockey fans don't need some idiot loud mouthed radio shock jock hockey noob to tell them when to cheer.

Aces fans on the other hand do need that.

Suze
10-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Bob Lester is an affront to hockey. Hockey fans don't need some idiot loud mouthed radio shock jock hockey noob to tell them when to cheer.

Aces fans on the other hand do need that.

They DO need that. When he isn't shouting at them to yell, they sit on their hands.

UAA08
10-02-2013, 09:55 PM
An earlier ADN article said that $10,000 was spent to purchase seat covers, which could be removed if more seating room was needed. So which is it? I don't see how curtains would work on the north side of the arena where there are 6 rows of seats open. Curtains on the left and right of this section would block the view for those who are in the balcony.

There are things in this article that are not at all factual.

Actually, UAA has done a TON of this. Passes have been handed out to fans so they can invite people to the games. The local highschool players and students get in free for every game, and you know that group of rowdy kids from the Military Youth Academy (the ones who added so much atmosphere to the arena), they all got in for free! So don't tell me that UAA hasn't done any of this. All sorts of groups have been offered free tickets, but not all take advantage of the offer.

When it comes to college sports, there is a little thing called the NCAA that they have to deal with. Lyle isn't allowed to rally the troops, it is against NCAA rules. Anyway, I wouldn't want a Bob Lester kind of announcer at UAA games.

100% agree with everything you said here. As the article indicates, this is his opinion, which he is entitled to. I, for one, disagree with the idea to take the Aces approach.

UAA08
10-02-2013, 09:58 PM
They DO need that. When he isn't shouting at them to yell, they sit on their hands.

See, the cowbells have replaced the yelling. It's hard to yell for 2 hours when you suck down 2 packs a day.

gfmorris
10-03-2013, 12:42 AM
Cowbells....LMAO, yeah for hillbilly hockey.

You rang?

GFM

Hal9K
10-03-2013, 01:07 AM
You rang?

GFM

Oh I don't think you're in their league, well you should hope you aren't anyway.

Alaska Hockey
10-03-2013, 01:30 AM
Oh I don't think you're in their league, well you should hope you aren't anyway.

They might not be in his league.

Alaska Hockey
10-03-2013, 01:41 AM

Seawolf Fan
10-03-2013, 10:57 AM
The cowbell thing was at Seawolf games before Cusack was at UAA as a player. Obviously that was before he started what became the Aces. The cowbell thing is a descendant of Seawolf Hockey.
The cowbells at Seawolf games got killed off the same way the salmon on the ice at every score got killed.
The NCAA has rules about artificial noise makers (not sure how the free hand out "shaker/clacker" thing works) as well as prohibiting tossing things onto the ice.

Hal9K
10-03-2013, 11:31 AM

GFM? Please no.

Hal9K
10-03-2013, 11:35 AM
The cowbell thing was at Seawolf games before Cusack was at UAA as a player. Obviously that was before he started what became the Aces. The cowbell thing is a descendant of Seawolf Hockey.
The cowbells at Seawolf games got killed off the same way the salmon on the ice at every score got killed.
The NCAA has rules about artificial noise makers (not sure how the free hand out "shaker/clacker" thing works) as well as prohibiting tossing things onto the ice.
And so we abandoned our red headed step child the cowbell when shown the light by the NCAA. Although some frozen fish after our "first"goal was cool, alas big brother NCAA did not like that either. There was always a lot of local debate pro/con regarding the fish.

gfmorris
10-03-2013, 12:27 PM
GFM? Please no.

I'm not sure if that's meant as a compliment.

GFM

Hal9K
10-03-2013, 02:38 PM
I'm not sure if that's meant as a compliment.

GFM

It is you don't want to associate yourself here as any kind of Aces fan.

Wolfman
10-03-2013, 06:41 PM
I just saw UAF new locker room at the Carlson Center and it is sure a first class facility. Wow. Everything there is "Alaska Nanooks" not UAF. We might as well start calling them "Alaska"

AKSWF
10-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Quick note from quick look at practices, they seem to be much more close knit drills, designed to truly be a team practice. I like it.

seawolfpunk
10-03-2013, 07:13 PM
I just saw UAF new locker room at the Carlson Center and it is sure a first class facility. Wow. Everything there is "Alaska Nanooks" not UAF. We might as well start calling them "Alaska"

NEVER, they will always be uaf no matter what.