X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA seawolves thread 2013-2014 the old has gone the new has come

Originally posted by mmf View Post
    Hey, don’t knock us or other “villagers.” We do all we can to support your marque sport. We were all willing to let Dr. Cobb fly us into the big city on UAA’s dime to watch a DII basketball game (and do a little bit of shopping on the side). Marketing genius at its best.
    How's your preseason Top of the world Basketball Tournament going? Not much press in the last 4-5 years.
    Too bad the new $110m basketball complex wasn’t finished yet, but I’m sure with all the car washes and bake sales that UAA was putting on to fund that thing that it was a little behind schedule.
    No, that was attached to a " more free crap for the villagers bill in minute print just after FREE WOOD STOVES FOR _airbanks Legislation from Juneau. Did the most popular village idiot you elected to go to Juneau forget to tell you that or were you cheering so hard for the free woodstoves you didn’t hear the next sentence he said? IF went through the college clown he would have made them build another one in the village …… like the new Engineering building you didn’t need.
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

How did you get in the balcony?
      I was told no way Jose.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
        How's your preseason Top of the world Basketball Tournament going? Not much press in the last 4-5 years.
        I am happy to report that we have not lost a penny on our Top of the World Basketball Tournement nor have we been criticized for a pathetically boring and weak field for ...lets see...4 or 5 years now.
        I'd make up some witty repartee about your remaining comments but they went over my head.

Comment

I am happy to report that we have not lost a penny on our Top of the World Basketball Tournement nor have we been criticized for a pathetically boring and weak field for ...lets see...4 or 5 years now.
          I'd make up some witty repartee about your remaining comments but they went over my head.
          I have a serious question to MMF. Do you think that after the UAA new arena done for basketball, that UAF will move into the Carlson Center for basketball too? It would seem odd that UAA would build this wonderful arena, and UAF would continue to play in their gym. Carlson Center is much better venue for basketball. What do you think?

Comment

• Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
            How did you get in the balcony?
            I was told no way Jose.
            When they tell me to get the hell out of the balcony, I'm gonna say, "no speaka Ingles".
            _AIRBANKS: THE "SPENARD" OF ALASKA.

Originally posted by birdman
            No excuses from UAF fans, UAA beat us.

Comment

Can't see Nooks' basketball at the Carlson Center. Too expensive...Hell, one hockey series has to be played to the Patty Center as the building dates were given away to AFN and the Dipper was booked with the the Dogs...

Comment

Oh wow!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                  I have a serious question to MMF. Do you think that after the UAA new arena done for basketball, that UAF will move into the Carlson Center for basketball too? It would seem odd that UAA would build this wonderful arena, and UAF would continue to play in their gym. Carlson Center is much better venue for basketball. What do you think?
                  I don’t ever see the Nooks playing basketball at the Carlson. We are just finishing renovations making it a quality hockey venue, but there is no way to set it up and break it down for basketball in a timely manner. And I don’t ever see us getting an on campus rink, no matter what the legislature gives UAA. Much of our ultra-conservative community is still upset that taxpayer dollars go to operate the Carlson. If we took away the only paying tenant they would shutter it up.

Plus we just don’t have the population or fan base to support a larger basketball venue. Even when we were a quality DII program we didn’t consistently pack the Patty. And most troubling, I see the Regents continue to emphasize UAF as UAs research institution and emphasize UAA as the degree institution. Outside of hockey, I think our athletic programs will continue to only plod along. I hope I am wrong.

Comment

Your new AD should consider weaker teams for both men's and women's side of the tournament. How else will you be able to win …. Neither team has won a game in the top of the world since it has broken even 4 or 5 years ago. Las Vegas will not even put odds on UA_ in that tournament. It sucks
                    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

I don’t ever see the Nooks playing basketball at the Carlson. We are just finishing renovations making it a quality hockey venue.
                      What kind of upgrades were made? I'm curious if the balcony benches were replaced with seats?
                      Originally Posted by aparch
                      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

The $4.2million upgrade, called phase two, has NOTHING to do with the actual arena or seating itself. More behind the scenes....

New locker rooms, a media room/conference room that will be available for other user groups, expanded areas for the team, trainers and team doctor.

Teams will switch locker rooms with the Nanooks on the south side, the front of the arena. The visitors on the north side, the back side of the arena. That so they can pull the bus up for easy in and easy out. Biggest note...for fans and season ticket holders///Alaska will SHOOT to the zamboni end two of three periods...

That has a FEW folks upset who had tickets, aka season tickets at the other end of the Carlson, to see the offense come that way two times, but NOW only ONCE...

Comment

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
                          the $4.2million upgrade, called phase two, has nothing to do with the actual arena or seating itself. More behind the scenes....

New locker rooms, a media room/conference room that will be available for other user groups, expanded areas for the team, trainers and team doctor.

Teams will switch locker rooms with the nanooks on the south side, the front of the arena. The visitors on the north side, the back side of the arena. That so they can pull the bus up for easy in and easy out. Biggest note...for fans and season ticket holders///alaska will shoot to the zamboni end two of three periods...

That has a few folks upset who had tickets, aka season tickets at the other end of the carlson, to see the offense come that way two times, but now only once...
                          what offense?

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
                            what offense?
                            Oh no, now your dissing UA_?
                            Originally Posted by aparch
                            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
                              The $4.2million upgrade, called phase two, has NOTHING to do with the actual arena or seating itself. More behind the scenes....

Teams will switch locker rooms with the Nanooks on the south side, the front of the arena. The visitors on the north side, the back side of the arena. That so they can pull the bus up for easy in and easy out. Biggest note...for fans and season ticket holders///Alaska will SHOOT to the zamboni end two of three periods...

That has a FEW folks upset who had tickets, aka season tickets at the other end of the Carlson, to see the offense come that way two times, but NOW only ONCE...
                              This is a horse-shoe type arena, right - with seating curving around at the "closed" or "home end", no seating at the "open" or "visitor end" of the hose shoe? Similar to many smaller hockey and football venues?

How the hell does it make any sense in the world to have the home team going at the end of the arena with LESS seating? How could anyone make a decision like that? Who did? Seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by camilo View Post
                                This is a horse-shoe type arena, right - with seating curving around at the "closed" or "home end", no seating at the "open" or "visitor end" of the hose shoe? Similar to many smaller hockey and football venues?

How the hell does it make any sense in the world to have the home team going at the end of the arena with LESS seating? How could anyone make a decision like that? Who did? Seriously?
                                It’s not like they were designing a new facility from the ground up. I’m sure they tried to get the best bang for buck with $4.2m. In the grand scheme of things, I guess switching boxes and home end was the compromise. There was limited seating (all balcony) above the opposing goalie the way it was. At least now the student section (such that it is), is to the side of the opposing goalie for two periods. Maybe they will get a bit rowdier. It will be a good venue for both fans and players. The Carlson is a good muti-venue facility for a town our size. Maybe not Ralph-esque, but at least we can see through our glass.

Comment

Working...
                                X