This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colgate 2013-14

Other thread closed so I better get this going. Last year we opened some eyes with one of our best recruiting classes in some years. With a year's experience I can only think they are going to be even better. We have seven forwards that can skate with any opposing lines in our league, if not in all of college hockey. Five sophomores, Spink, Spink,Baun,Murphy, and Bortkowski, Lidgett and Wilson are juniors. Some serious speed there, and all coming back next year.

Six freshmen forwards will give us some depth, I don't know too much about them(sorry) but if two or three of them can produce and are fast we will have three very talented lines. Andrew Black 44 GP 30 goals 36 assists looks like he can be our eighth forward, Derrick Freeman 6-1 200#, Tim Harrison 6-3 180# will add some size and fight for starting time. We should have a balanced three line attack which we haven't had in some time, in the past it was stop our best line and you stop Colgate, not anymore.

In goal freshman Charlie Finn comes in rated very highly, 39 GP eight shutouts 2.15 GAA .941 SAA. He is supposed to be a major impact player immediately, as they say, it all starts with your stopper. Finney and Mihalek have shown glimpses of great play so it will be an interesting battle for the #1 job.

Defense will be led by Goulakis(nothing needs to be said about him) sophomores Johnston and Lough, Corcoran, and two incoming frosh Corkey, Kulevich(6-2 190#). We are thin defensively, if we have an Achilles heel it might be our lack of depth in this area.

Overall the sky is the limit for this team, very fast, very talented and with Spiro leading the power play we should have no problem scoring. At one point last year we were nine for sixteen on the PP. Let's hope the defenseman mature quickly and stay healthy.

Great home schedule opening against Ferris State(two)St Cloud St (two), and UMass (two), interesting game vs The Russian Red Jr team on New Years eve . I am very optimistic(not cautiously) plus the fact we only lose two players this year. The immediate future is good !
    Last edited by sshablak; 08-22-2013, 10:17 AM.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Re: Colgate 2013-14

One thing is clear, we will know what this team can do really early in the season. With ferris and St. Cloud coming in we will have a national measuring stick. I am excited for this season but next year is the one I am really looking forward to. As you said we will only lose 2 players after this season.

My guess is that mihalik will end up being the #1, he seems to do better with additional pressure so having two guys behind him will add that pressure. If there is a cold streak for any of these goalies they might not see the ice for 2 months.

It will be interesting

Comment

expect big things from Julian Fialkow. huge pick up at the F spot

Comment

Thanks for starting us off Shabby - and with only 44 days to go. Will be very interesting to see what this team can do. I agree that on paper it looks year away but if the sophomores avoid slumps and a frosh or 2 step up and in it could be a fun one. If not, could be another teeth grinding winter.

Comment

Our standard pre-season optimism. Defense will be a problem; pray for no injuries there. Goaltending has depth but the coaching staff has a proven ability to mess up the psyche of any goalie in the program and we definitely have two returning that will e very fragile mentally!

Comment

Thanks for the excellent report Shabby. The two early series with Ferris and St. Cloud could have a huge bearing on the PWR. I hope the team gels immediately and can get some wins in those matchups. As for the goalie situation, I think it's all good. Having three on the team means no one gets complacent. Hopefully Charlie Finn is the real deal and can take over if Eric has a lousy start. Should be an interesting campaign. Why wait 'til next season? Let's get it done this year!
            COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by Woodstick View Post
              Our standard pre-season optimism. Defense will be a problem; pray for no injuries there. Goaltending has depth but the coaching staff has a proven ability to mess up the psyche of any goalie in the program and we definitely have two returning that will e very fragile mentally!
              You want me to be negative,never, however it's hard sometimes. At the Banquet last spring DV said he expects to be in the Frozen Four either this year or next year. How's that !

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                You want me to be negative,never, however it's hard sometimes. At the Banquet last spring DV said he expects to be in the Frozen Four either this year or next year. How's that !
                Tickets aren't too expensive.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Great to hear Mike Harder '97 will be on the bench this year as a Volunteer Coach !

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
                  August 20, 2013

Mike Harder ’97 Returns to Raiders
                  Colgate’s All-Time Leading Scorer Joins Vaughan’s Staff

HAMILTON – Mike Harder ’97, who recorded 214 career points in four years with the Raiders, has been hired by head coach Don Vaughan as a volunteer assistant coach.

"I am thrilled that Mike Harder '97 will be joining our staff as the volunteer assistant coach,” Vaughan said. “He has a wealth of knowledge from his experience as a professional hockey player in both North America and Europe and that will certainly serve him well as a Division I college hockey coach.”

Harder returns to his alma mater after coaching for I Play Harder (IPH) Hockey. IPH Hockey provides training lessons and quality instruction for players who want to improve their game. Harder leads a staff that gives private lessons and clinics.

Prior to his coaching career, he was a 13-year professional player with the American Hockey League, German Elite League and Swedish Elite League.

“He is a proven winner having won a Calder Cup in the American Hockey League and a Championship in the German Elite League,” said Vaughan. “He also knows what it takes to be successful as a student athlete at Colgate University. He was an outstanding student during his time here and his accolades on the ice speak for themselves.”

Harder is the all-time leading scorer for Colgate with 214 points and is in the top five in both goals and assists. He finished his career with 88 goals and 126 helpers, which is second to Steve Smith ’84. Harder’s best season came in 1995 as he scored 58 points on 22 goals and 36 assists. He was an All-American and a Hobey Baker Finalist while with the Raiders.

“Mike’s communication skills, enthusiasm for the game and desire to help kids get better makes him a perfect fit on our staff,” said Vaughan. “We can't wait to get started."

“I am so excited that I dusted off my retro 1997 Reebok Colgate hockey track jacket,” Harder said. “I can’t wait to get started with the staff and team and I am already looking forward to the season opener against Ferris State.”

The Raiders kick off the season on Oct. 5 and 6 at Starr Rink against the Bulldogs.

Comment

A little lofty, but last year was definitely a rebuilding year for you, what with Austin Smith graduating. I don't foresee your team losing all that much; you'll be just fine this year.

Comment

Thanx Dude ! Should be a very interesting year, we'll find out very quickly. It still irks me that we missed out on Zalewski as Joey Wilson is his best friend and dad said we never gave him much of a look !

Comment

Thanx Dude ! Should be a very interesting year, we'll find out very quickly. It still irks me that we missed out on Zalewski as Joey Wilson is his best friend and dad said we never gave him much of a look !
                        I'd say CCT were the ones that whiffed, given Z's brother starred there. In any event, I think he is poised for a breakout year. He's a great kid and is going to be a handful in front of the net esp. skating on that line with Bubela. Should be fun.

What's the status of 'Gates new rink - have they broken ground ? Or are they still slinging that BS that they need the final 3.2% before they'll start ??
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                          I'd say CCT were the ones that whiffed, given Z's brother starred there. In any event, I think he is poised for a breakout year. He's a great kid and is going to be a handful in front of the net esp. skating on that line with Bubela. Should be fun.

What's the status of 'Gates new rink - have they broken ground ? Or are they still slinging that BS that they need the final 3.2% before they'll start ??
                          Nope, CCT and RPI(among others) invited him for the day long visit of their campuses, we did nothing. This is straight from his father who I have known for 40 years. He and Joey Wilson played for the Syracuse Stars and are best friends. I just don't understand.

Comment

Nope, CCT and RPI(among others) invited him for the day long visit of their campuses, we did nothing. This is straight from his father who I have known for 40 years. He and Joey Wilson played for the Syracuse Stars and are best friends. I just don't understand.
                            I wasn't disputing your account - simply noting if anyone would/should be miffed it would be CCT, given his brother's hockey alum status. RPI was on him for a few years and got him. Great kid.
                            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Shabby - whats the status on Colgate's new rink ?? Are they moving dirt yet ?

Comment

Working...
                              X