This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2013-14

Spiro has way to many penalties, Spinks have zero PM's. Stay outta the "sin bin ". We've been pretty good so far.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
      Spiro has way to many penalties, Spinks have zero PM's. Stay outta the "sin bin ". We've been pretty good so far.
      I don't fault Spiro for either penalty last night. The first one, he stopped a Bowling Green player from a potential breakaway. Spiro was headed to the bench and a turnover resulted in a BGSU player basically at the red line with the puck and no one in front of him but the goalie. I'd rather see someone take a penalty in that situation than give up a breakaway.

The call in the overtime period was ridiculous. From what I saw, there was no way that it was a penalty. The BGSU player was standing over the puck flat-footed in the left wing corner of the offensive zone. He was a foot or two from the boards. Spiro came in hard and checked him into the wall with a perfectly clean hit. The player went down kind of awkwardly (slight embellishment IMO) and the referee's arm came up.

At home or at least in a non-WCHA barn, that's not called. But, it is what it is. I can remember a game at Colorado College back in 08-09 with similar results from the officials.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Gate Radio View Post

The call in the overtime period was ridiculous. From what I saw, there was no way that it was a penalty. The BGSU player was standing over the puck flat-footed in the left wing corner of the offensive zone. He was a foot or two from the boards. Spiro came in hard and checked him into the wall with a perfectly clean hit. The player went down kind of awkwardly (slight embellishment IMO) and the referee's arm came up.

At home or at least in a non-WCHA barn, that's not called. But, it is what it is. I can remember a game at Colorado College back in 08-09 with similar results from the officials.
        Not to butt in but...This kind of thing is all over hockey, I'd say that HE refs are the worst offenders.Mankato was incensed after that happened to them in Providence on consecutive nights.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

As far as last night goes ... I didn't see or hear the game but Eric Mihalik stole a point for us. He and Mike McCann (coincidentally, our only seniors) are stepping up.

Anyone see the football game on CBS Sports Network? What a finish!
          Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
            As far as last night goes ... I didn't see or hear the game but Eric Mihalik stole a point for us. He and Mike McCann (coincidentally, our only seniors) are stepping up.

Anyone see the football game on CBS Sports Network? What a finish!
            Yeah, I did. Very exciting. Great to see McCarney healthy and able to throw the bomb in the last minute to win it. Our D made it stand up. Maybe we run the table and win the PL?..
            COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

almost 90 shots on goal against in two games and very lucky to get a point over the weekend...undisciplined play that is becoming the norm...I've been very reticent to criticize the head coach over the years, but, if this program doesn't begin to show some consistent improvement, I'd ****can the entire staff and start over...we've had one winning team in the past 7 (and counting) years...the recruiting has been subpar (look at the lack of talent and depth on defense this year) and as the ECAC improves year-over-year, we're stuck in the mud...perhaps we will improve over the course of this year; that, in itself, would represent something new...for those of us who bleed 'Gate hockey - and have so for many, many years - patience is running very, very thin...

Comment

• Originally posted by 'Gate Radio View Post
                I don't fault Spiro for either penalty last night. The first one, he stopped a Bowling Green player from a potential breakaway. Spiro was headed to the bench and a turnover resulted in a BGSU player basically at the red line with the puck and no one in front of him but the goalie. I'd rather see someone take a penalty in that situation than give up a breakaway.

The penalty in OT was the result of driving the player's head into the boards. That one should have been more than 2.

Colgate didn't look all that bad this weekend. BG did a great job of blocking shots and clearing rebounds which is the difference in shots on goal. There was a lot of back and forth hockey. Tonight, BG just started getting bounces to go their way. Colgate got really frustrated and starting playing stupid. A lot of the penalties were just that, stupid plays that the players should have known better. They seem to have potential, but they're gonna need to work it all out first.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                  almost 90 shots on goal against in two games and very lucky to get a point over the weekend...undisciplined play that is becoming the norm...I've been very reticent to criticize the head coach over the years, but, if this program doesn't begin to show some consistent improvement, I'd ****can the entire staff and start over...we've had one winning team in the past 7 (and counting) years...the recruiting has been subpar (look at the lack of talent and depth on defense this year) and as the ECAC improves year-over-year, we're stuck in the mud...perhaps we will improve over the course of this year; that, in itself, would represent something new...for those of us who bleed 'Gate hockey - and have so for many, many years - patience is running very, very thin...
                  Thank you. I sometimes feel like I am posting with zombies on this site- Coaching staff is never at fault. Same results year in year out; players come and go but nothing improves. What is the constant- Coaching staff.

Comment

ACCOUNTABILITY is a concept that doesn't seem to apply to our hockey program...I did notice we finally inked a young man from the USHL for the future...that's nice...for almost a decade every other DI program has tapped the USHL as an crucial source for recruiting (last year "final four" in Atlantic City had THIRTY-TWO KIDS on the aggregate rosters)...tell me who's right: almost 60 DI programs or Colgate??? And how about Silver Puck? You donate a mid-to-high four figure amount of $$$ to the Silver Puck Council and receive a xeroxed and robo-signed "thank you" from its president...that's it...ACCOUNTABILITY...

Comment

Originally posted by 'Gate Radio View Post

I'm going to agree and disagree on this.

The first penalty was the very definition of a 'good penalty'. If he didn't do it, BG's forward had nobody but the goalie ahead of him, and nearly half the rink to work with.

The boarding call in OT was blatant, obvious and stupid. A couple of years ago (when all the officials were on the checking-from-behind point-of-emphasis), he'd have drawn 5 and the gate...wouldn't have been surprised to have seen that call on this play.
                      Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

I think Spiro is frustrated, the dmen are so young. It's only one game, and very early. At least wait till after next weekend to throw in the towel.

Comment

I think Spiro loses his cool from time to time. He has taken a lot of questionable penalties (late last year and early this year). The penalty in OT was 50/50, it looked like he might have gotten him on the shoulder or back, but when a guy crumbles like he did it is going to be called.

If I am going to question the coaching i'd be curious why Mihalik was not started on sat. With our biggest question being the goalie why would you break up his strong performance. I understand you want to get everyone involved, but when the goalie has played as well as Mahalik you just have to ride him until he has a rough start. College hockey doesnt play back to back to back games so let him play.

As far as accountability Vaughn did start this process with Tyson, as he did not come back to the game after his 5 min major.

Come out with a bigger offense and hope for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by red133883 View Post
                            I think Spiro loses his cool from time to time. He has taken a lot of questionable penalties (late last year and early this year). The penalty in OT was 50/50, it looked like he might have gotten him on the shoulder or back, but when a guy crumbles like he did it is going to be called.

If I am going to question the coaching i'd be curious why Mihalik was not started on sat. With our biggest question being the goalie why would you break up his strong performance. I understand you want to get everyone involved, but when the goalie has played as well as Mahalik you just have to ride him until he has a rough start. College hockey doesnt play back to back to back games so let him play.

As far as accountability Vaughn did start this process with Tyson, as he did not come back to the game after his 5 min major.

Come out with a bigger offense and hope for the best.
                            College hockey doesn't play back to back games

Comment

I know it's still early in the season but has anyone noticed a trend?

When Charlie Finn starts:
                              2 games, 14 goals against

When Eric Mihalik starts:
                              3 games, 2 goals against

I wonder why Spencer Finney hasn't been given a start given how well he performed last season? But with a good opponent coming into our barn next weekend, we should go with Mihalik. He started both games against Miami 2 seasons ago when they visited, and we all remember how that series ended
                              Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                                College hockey doesn't play back to back games

It doesnt generally play 3 games in a row, normally with a week off between the two game series. So at this point I dont think there is need to spell Mihalik, unless there is an injury.

Comment

Working...
                                X