This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2013-14

The strange thing is our "vaunted" PP won the game for us against the #3 PK team in the nation. We looked very good for two periods then hung on. Vt is a very talented team, a great win.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

From the Burlington Free Press:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...-Colgate-third

Am wondering, too, about Finn...the hits he received seemed, well...obviously being MVP last weekend worried Sneddon and his team had orders to rattle his cage! And for the sake of a debate, why is it customary to go after a player if they attack one of our own? I get the "brotherhood" mentality but it's the decision like that that almost cost us the game...we had a 4x4 coming instead of a 5x4 pp for Vermont. Very glad Goulakos is back and healthy.

Great crowd at MSG for Harvard/Yale!
      C O L G A T E
      2023 ECAC CHAMPION
      1990 NCAA FINALS
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
      ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
      ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

It looked to me from the far end that the Vt guy kinda got pushed into Finn after he scored. Hard to tell from where I was.

Comment

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
          From the Burlington Free Press:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...-Colgate-third

Am wondering, too, about Finn...the hits he received seemed, well...obviously being MVP last weekend worried Sneddon and his team had orders to rattle his cage! And for the sake of a debate, why is it customary to go after a player if they attack one of our own? I get the "brotherhood" mentality but it's the decision like that that almost cost us the game...we had a 4x4 coming instead of a 5x4 pp for Vermont. Very glad Goulakos is back and healthy.

Great crowd at MSG for Harvard/Yale!
          Protecting your goalie is part of the game. At that point, Finn I think had been run into or in the least bumped three or four times in the period (all in the third mind you) with the worst being on the Vermont goal at the start of the third when the goal scorer, Markison, plowed him over. Looking at the replay on the Colgate site, there is no push that I can see and the Vermont player just couldn't stop himself. I'm still surprised there wasn't a goaltender interference call on the play - I seem to remember when Mike McCann scored his first career goal on Cape Cod against Army, he ran over the goalie and was credited with the goal but also called for interference.

On the play I think you're referencing in particular, Harrison drew the initial penalty when he shoved down a Vermont player right after the whistle. Wilson and Bruneteau then got into a wrestling match as a "secondary altercation" after Harrison's shove on the other side of the crease and that's why both went off. Guessing Harrison may have gotten away with the shove if things hadn't heated up on the other side of the crease but knows. I hate to see Colgate concede a power play in that situation but at the same time, you stick up for your goalie. Maybe that wasn't the best time to get physical but again at that point, it seemed UVM was putting an emphasis on getting into the blue paint to rattle Finn.

Just my two cents.
          Last edited by 'Gate Radio; 01-12-2014, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Thanks...you have the best view.

Comment

Saw the stream on the PLN and GR's call. Can't say it was the most interesting game I ever watched - no extended offense by either team - but we got the W. Getting two PP goals was super! Darcy Murphy is playing great and the Cornwall line seems to have raised their play a notch. Couldn't really see the VT attacks on Finn, but glad our guys stood their ground, even at the risk of a penalty. Gotta protect your goalie in that situation - afterall he was a marked man after the Minny tourney.

Hopefully this game gives us some confidence that we can win in our barn as league play starts up again. Harvard will be looking to come out strong next w/e after losing big time to Yale. Keep up the good work boys!
              COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Just a quick fairweather post here -- great showing at Mariucci and against UVM. Way to go 'gate!

Comment

Now #19 in the PWR tied with North Dakota. almost a bubble team.

Comment

So we beat Vermont and they stay at 18 and we only receive 5 more votes in the USCHO poll?

I understand polls don't matter, but they are fun to look at and get fans excited. On a more important note 'gate is 19th in the pairwise. Keep up the winning and we could be looking at an at-large bid to the big dance

Comment

Currently we're 20th in the PWR, tied for 19th. Keep in mind with our 0-2 record against UMass, we are guaranteed to lose the "record vs. common opponents" comparison against Vermont. This may also come back to bite us if we're a bubble team, especially if we're being compared against a Hockey East team.

Also remember that the "record vs. teams under consideration" comparison was eliminated, so when comparing ourselves to any team we don't play this season, we will need to have a higher RPI in order to win the comparison. As far as this weekend goes, we need to win our games, and hopefully UMass-Lowell, Boston College, Northeastern, and Bemidji State can also emerge victorious (those teams all play either Vermont, Maine, or North Dakota this weekend -- teams that are just ahead of us in the PWR).
                      Colgate '09

Comment

I get it...but protecting your goalie at what cost? Where is the sportsmanship, mental toughness and leadership? Let the coach battle it out with the refs; tired of watching these hyped moments with predictable, game and momentum changing consequences.

Don't mind being underrated, would rather be an under-the-radar workhorse. Wonder if beating #18 Vermont shows us what the pollsters think of the ECAC; the Cats have already beaten 5 others.
                        C O L G A T E
                        2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                        1990 NCAA FINALS
                        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                        ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                        ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Don't look now but we are 8-4-2 in our last fourteen and if it wasn't for those dam UMass games we're 10-2-2. This is with the toughest schedule in the nation too.

After giving up seven goals twice early on Charlie Finn has now given up ten goals in his last 6.5 games(half the exhibition). In our last eight games we have given up two goals or less seven games with three only once against UMass.

I was very nervous about our young defense, but they have turned the corner. We are definitely heading in the right direction.

Our anemic PP is four for eleven in last two, coincidence with Spiro getting healthy, I think not. Keep her going boys !
                          Last edited by sshablak; 01-14-2014, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                            Don't look now but we are 8-4-2 in our last fourteen and if it wasn't for those dam UMass games we're 10-2-2. This is with the toughest schedule in the nation too.

After giving up seven goals twice early on Charlie Finn has now given up ten goals in his last 6.5 games(half the exhibition). In our last eight games we have given up two goals or less seven games with three only once against UMass.

I was very nervous about our young defense, but they have turned the corner. We are definitely heading in the right direction.

Our anemic PP is four for eleven in last two, coincidence with Spiro getting healthy, I think not. Keep her going boys !
                            Right on Shabby. Finn is undoubtedly adjusting to the college game and is seeing the puck much better. The advantage of having Spiro back and at 100% cannot be underestimated. He's the engine that makes the defense go, and I'm sure has had a profound effect on the underclassmen's maturity. It's all good right now; let's hope they can keep it up on the road - where we seem to do well - in Cambridge and Hanover.

Comment

Just noticed Evan Peterson, winger from Carleton Place (CJHL) was added to the recruit list. Maybe this is old news

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                                Just noticed Evan Peterson, winger from Carleton Place (CJHL) was added to the recruit list. Maybe this is old news
                                Check page 2. I posted that last week.
                                QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                                2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                                2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                                2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                                https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
                                https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/