Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska Nanooks 2013-14 Season Thread - On the Road to Perdition...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska Nanooks 2013-14 Season Thread - On the Road to Perdition...

Per-di-tion (noun) - A state of eternal punishment and daamnation into which a sinful and unpenitent person conference passes after death.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I’m anxious for the season to get started so hence the early start to the season thread. Our conference will be competitive and hopefully stronger than given credit for.

If you watched last year’s championship game you should have been impressed with the speed of both teams. The college game is a game of speed which is great for fans. We were a fairly fast team last year and hopefully have gotten even faster. We better be fast because we are small. Our forwards average 5’-11”, and d-men 6’-1”. Overall we average 6’-0”. We have thirteen guys under 6’-0”, four at 6’-0”, and only eight over 6’-0”.

But it’s not good enough just to be fast. We need to play an up-tempo game with fast transitions. I hope that is an emphasis of the coaching strategy. We should be a fun team to watch this year.

We also seem to cast a fairly wide recruiting net. We have 6 guys from the AJHL, 8 from the BCHL, 3 from the NAHL, 3 from the SJHL, and 7 from the USHL. Not sure if that’s good, bad, or indifferent. It’s good to see five Alaskan kids on the roster. And getting ex-Ice Dog/Gopher Jared Larson was a late but good addition.

We play Air Force, Quinnpiac, Denver, and WMU in October, and as a Nanook player, if you aren’t both a little excited but a little worried about their speed and skill players, then you may be missing a hockey gene.

October should really get us ready for conference play, and it can’t come soon enough:
    Oct 5 - vs British Columbia (Exhibition – Carlson Center)
    Oct 11 - vs Air Force (@ Kendall in Anchorage – Sullivan Arena)
    Oct 12 - vs Quinnpiac (@ Kendall in Anchorage – Sullivan Arena)
    Oct 18 - vs Denver ( Brice Alaska Goal Rush – Carlson Center)
    Oct 19 - vs WMU ( Brice Alaska Goal Rush – Carlson Center)
    Oct 25 – vs Mercyhurst (UAF Patty Ice Center)
    Oct 26 – vs Mercyhurst (UAF Patty Ice Center)

Go Nooks!
    Last edited by mmf; 11-17-2013, 01:03 PM.

Re: Alaska Nanooks 2013-14 Season Thread - On the Road to Perdition...

I'm also excited about this year. Drop the puck already!
    Alaska - My Very Big Back Yard!!!!

Comment

I agree on team speed but I think last year we had one line that could finish, hopefully some of the second year and incoming freshmen can finish, need a few snipers. Quinnpiac should be ready for the season they are touring Europe playing 10-12 games this summer.

Comment

Just read article that NCHC has adopted shoot outs, I hope the WCHA will, I think it is fun for fans and ties suck.

Comment

I don’t necessarily mind ties. Sometimes teams are evenly matched and probably should spilt points. But I don’t like the shootouts. I would rather see teams battle in OT until there is a winner. If a team is worried about tiredness, injury, or beauty sleep, then don’t let it go to OT. Take care of business.

*****http://i130.***********.com/albums/p248/mmffbks/ItsNotThatComplicated_2.jpg******

Shootouts or Overtime?... It’s not that complicated…

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
            Just read article that NCHC has adopted shoot outs, I hope the WCHA will, I think it is fun for fans and ties suck.
            Ties are like kissing your sister.

Comment

We know all about perdition.

GFM <— boo shootouts, yay WCHA, yay Alaska on the schedule again.
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

That's about as solid of a slate for the Kendall and Brice tourneys as I can recall. If we are 4-2 after the tourneys and the Mercyhurst series I'd be relatively pleased. If we want postseason aspirations we will have to be even better than that (e.g. Let's not forget that dreadful Canisius loss that ultimately kept us out of an at-large bid last season).

I too am looking forward to the season. For all the mud slung at the nWCHA, it feels good going into a season knowing we actually have a decent chance of winning a conference title.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Do any of you Nanook fans know if with all the construction of the Carlson Center (locker rooms, etc) if they replaced the seating in the upper deck to theater seating? If not, are there any plans for them to do that replacement?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                    Do any of you Nanook fans know if with all the construction of the Carlson Center (locker rooms, etc) if they replaced the seating in the upper deck to theater seating? If not, are there any plans for them to do that replacement?
                    I believe negative on both accounts. If/whenever they replace the seats it needs to be both levels, IMO.
                    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

oh shoot! I didn't think about both levels...you might be right...

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                        IMO, the seats work just fine. The cost to replace the seating should be use in other areas to make the Carlson Center better. Like moving out the offices on the north end and allow the corridor to completely circle the ice!
                        Alaska - My Very Big Back Yard!!!!

Comment

Does anyone know at this point if any of the games will be nationally televised?

Comment

Originally posted by GoalieEd View Post
                            Does anyone know at this point if any of the games will be nationally televised?
                            Not until we get to the NCAA regionals...

Comment

Hey Bearflanks,

I was reading Doyle Woody's daily hockey blip on ADN and I've gotta agree with him.. your new recruit has a great name --- Ambrose Firkus! Love it!!

Comment

Working...
                              X