Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska Nanooks 2013-14 Season Thread - On the Road to Perdition...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alaska Nanooks 2013-14 Season Thread - On the Road to Perdition...

Curious to see what happens if Air Force can't make the trip to ANC next weekend. Play uaa one of the games? Stay home and re-schedule with Air Force later in the season? Blue-Gold redux? Extra alumni game? Early team trip to the pizza place?

Edit: I suppose another solution is both us and uaa play Quinnipiac so that Quinnipiac gets its two AK games as promised.
    Last edited by Squarebanks; 10-04-2013, 06:00 PM.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

My best guess would be each team plays Quinnipiac, as you said. I wouldn't think that the Nooks would stay home and UAA plays them twice, like I heard somewhere.

The real question is what happens with the AF games, if they're forfeit, or rescheduled. I can imagine that rescheduling could be tricky, considering that they're not just a quick hop away. If they could work out a mid-week Tuesday or Wednesday game for each team, maybe, but I think that would make it really tight for AF. The first weekend I can see where all three teams are open is December 20-21. That seems unlikely, but I don't know.

Comment

Well, this is disappointing. Bowling Green, NMU, and Michigan Tech all have nice, bright, wide screen, HD video feeds, and we still get a potato? And play-by-play audio is barely audible behind the blaring PA feed/canned music?

The audio I can let slide for an early season exhibition game where people are still knocking the rust off, but what's up with the video? Anybody know anything about that? I thought we were one of the definite-HD teams.

Comment

Disappointed as well. Either the HD cameras aren't installed or the athletic department needs a refund. The only reason I bought the feed tonight was to see how the "new" broadcast looked.

And I have it on very high authority that we bought the HD cameras so maybe they just aren't ready.

Originally posted by AKJD View Post
          Well, this is disappointing. Bowling Green, NMU, and Michigan Tech all have nice, bright, wide screen, HD video feeds, and we still get a potato? And play-by-play audio is barely audible behind the blaring PA feed/canned music?

The audio I can let slide for an early season exhibition game where people are still knocking the rust off, but what's up with the video? Anybody know anything about that? I thought we were one of the definite-HD teams.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by AKJD View Post
            ...play-by-play audio is barely audible..
            If anyone has GCI cable, the game is on live on channel one. (Loud & clear)

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaRox View Post
              If anyone has GCI cable, the game is on live on channel one. (Loud & clear)
              Literally the only bad thing about dumping GCI for Directv.

It's a blowout anyway so probably not missing much. Hard to tell if we are that good or if UBC is just killing time until getting on the red eye to go home.

Comment

The Nooks took it to UBC tonight 8-1, with goals from Campbell, Basara, Huysmans, Erickson, Kunyk (2), Beck, and B. Morley. I thought we played pretty well for our first game, even if it was an exhibition. Good to see three freshmen score and get multiple points.

The Nooks were 2 for 5 on the PP (maybe 2 for 6 since I think there were penalties after the final whistle), and gave up their only goal on a UBC powerplay in the third. All three goalies saw action. Shots were 37-24 Nooks.

Is Air Force still a go for next Friday or are we looking at plan B? Anybody have any updates?

Here is a link to some pics from tonight’s game.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                  Disappointed as well. Either the HD cameras aren't installed or the athletic department needs a refund. The only reason I bought the feed tonight was to see how the "new" broadcast looked.

And I have it on very high authority that we bought the HD cameras so maybe they just aren't ready.

The $$$new equipment$$$ is not here yet, but no excuse for the video that was too hot(couldn't even see the red or blue lines)and the audio issues for the first half of the first period. Frustrating....

Comment

I guess we need to give them a little time to get their act together, but eventually I hope our production is comparable to what other schools put on. But I never get a warm and fuzzy feeling about the effort put forth in marketing the Nooks. There is so much more “they” could do with generating student support, weekly releases, pre-game advertising, use of the video board etc. Not sure if the mediocre effort is mostly a UAF issue or partly because of limitations with SMG’s contract. I don’t understand the under-utilization of video board. Pretty boring and uncreative stuff.

And while I appreciate Dr. Keller’s support of all UAF programs over the years, I think it is absurd that center ice does not have the Alaska logo. Not sure if that arrangement is in perpetuity, but that needs to change. Sports Medicine should occupy one of the four other prominent logo spots, but not center ice.

But what I’ve seen so far, I’m pleasantly surprised with the America One package and I’m sure I’ll get my money's worth.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                      I guess we need to give them a little time to get their act together, but eventually I hope our production is comparable to what other schools put on. But I never get a warm and fuzzy feeling about the effort put forth in marketing the Nooks. There is so much more “they” could do with generating student support, weekly releases, pre-game advertising, use of the video board etc. Not sure if the mediocre effort is mostly a UAF issue or partly because of limitations with SMG’s contract. I don’t understand the under-utilization of video board. Pretty boring and uncreative stuff.

And while I appreciate Dr. Keller’s support of all UAF programs over the years, I think it is absurd that center ice does not have the Alaska logo. Not sure if that arrangement is in perpetuity, but that needs to change. Sports Medicine should occupy one of the four other prominent logo spots, but not center ice.

But what I’ve seen so far, I’m pleasantly surprised with the America One package and I’m sure I’ll get my money's worth.

Go Nooks!
                      Re: Marketing, it always seems like they could do more. I suspect part of it is due to the fact that our athletic department operates on a shoestring budget, and there may not be enough resources available. Personally I would like to see the University as a whole do more marketing in conjunction with the athletic department. Particularly with all of the re-branding that has gone on in the last year, it seems like there is an opportunity being missed. That said, I get the impression that Dr. Gray is going to try some new things this year so perhaps we will see what happens. They are definitely making a big social media push, for starters. I think the thought and effort is starting to get back to where it needs to be, but Forrest Karr didn't do much to help the presence of Nanook athletics in the community. It'll likely take a while to recover that lost interest. Being good in men's basketball again should help our profile quite a bit.

Re: The center ice logo, I agree totally that the Nanook logo should be at center ice. But unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, depending on your view) it is all about the benjamins. My company put its logo on the Carlson ice last season, and as a result I know what the cost disparity is between one of the four corner spots and the center ice spot. I don't think the Sportsmedicine Fairbanks logo is there in perpetuity, but as long as Dr. Keller keeps pouring dollars and manpower into our athletic department it's going to stay there.

Unfortunately SMG has us over a barrel with regards to the Carlson. From what I know, we hardly see any revenue from using the facility (we don't even get to keep the revenue from beer and concessions) and we are between a rock and a hard spot as the Patty Center isn't equipped to handle a D-1 hockey program full time and the University has more urgent construction needs. But at least we have the best locker room in the state (maybe even the WCHA, from what I've seen).

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                        The Nooks took it to UBC tonight 8-1, with goals from Campbell, Basara, Huysmans, Erickson, Kunyk (2), Beck, and B. Morley. I thought we played pretty well for our first game, even if it was an exhibition. Good to see three freshmen score and get multiple points.

The Nooks were 2 for 5 on the PP (maybe 2 for 6 since I think there were penalties after the final whistle), and gave up their only goal on a UBC powerplay in the third. All three goalies saw action. Shots were 37-24 Nooks.

Is Air Force still a go for next Friday or are we looking at plan B? Anybody have any updates?

Here is a link to some pics from tonight’s game.

Go Nooks!
                        I haven't heard anything further on Air Force, other than Woody's article a couple days ago which said they were still planning on coming up even if they can't. If that makes sense. If AF can't make the trip, I believe it is up to our Anchorage friends to figure out what happens next. My guess is the 'Nooks still go and we each play one game against Quinnipiac. I'd hate to have the guys stay home and lose out on two pretty big tune-up games this early in the season.

Comment

Unfortunately SMG has us over a barrel with regards to the Carlson. From what I know, we hardly see any revenue from using the facility (we don't even get to keep the revenue from beer and concessions) and we are between a rock and a hard spot as the Patty Center isn't equipped to handle a D-1 hockey program full time and the University has more urgent construction needs.
                          1. You would have more revenue if you sold more tickets.
                          2. Maybe they should rewrite the contract and let smg keep ticket revenue and UA_ keep beer sales…… you would probably be father ahead.
                          3. Your 3rd rink will be built after UAA has their second one built.

But at least we have the best locker room in the state (maybe even the WCHA, from what I've seen).
                          Your locker room is like the cars I rent when “road tripping with UAA”. I walk into Rent A Wreck and ask for the fanciest car in the fleet. I be styling with the best of them. But the bottom line UA_’s Carlson locker room and my Rent a Wreck beater are both “rentals".
                          Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                            1. You would have more revenue if you sold more tickets.
                            2. Maybe they should rewrite the contract and let smg keep ticket revenue and UA_ keep beer sales…… you would probably be father ahead.
                            3. Your 3rd rink will be built after UAA has their second one built.

Your locker room is like the cars I rent when “road tripping with UAA”. I walk into Rent A Wreck and ask for the fanciest car in the fleet. I be styling with the best of them. But the bottom line UA_’s Carlson locker room and my Rent a Wreck beater are both “rentals".
                            Anchorage trolls in mid-season form.

Comment

[QUOTE=birdman;5780438]Anchorage trolls in mid-season form.[/

Kinda funny coming from a hypocrit like yourself
                              Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
                                Anchorage trolls in mid-season form.
                                It takes his mind off the Curtain of Shame.

Comment

Working...
                                X