Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska Nanooks 2013-14 Season Thread - On the Road to Perdition...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2013-14 Season Thread - On the Road to Perdition...

The Nooks held on for a hard fought 4-2 win last night against the MSU Mavericks, in part to a strong performance by goaltender Davis Jones. Play was pretty even in the first, but then the Nooks seemed to reserve a room in the sin bin for much of the second and MSU took over puck control and SOGs. Play in the third was fairly even until MSU made their final push to try and tie things up. But Kunyk was able to get an empty netter to seal the deal.

Early on both teams were skating well and had chances…
    Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Kunyk, Beck, Basara were strong all night and gave the Nooks their chances…

T. Morley put the Nooks on the board about half way through the first with this tip in off a shot by Nolan Huysmans…

Beck, Kunyk, and T. Morley all had three points on the night…

Things got a little congested in the crease in the second, and Atkinson ended up with a 5 minute major for facemasking and a game misconduct…

Matt Lietner for MSU picked up a bouncing puck and ties the score at one all with about three minutes left in the second…

Kunyk had a beautiful feed to T. Morley who buried this one past Huggins for his second goal of the night and a 2-1 Nook lead early in the third…

MSU put on pressure in the third, but hard work by Kuynk and Basara results in this wide open net goal by Beck to put the Nooks up 3-1 with five minutes left in the game…

MSU pulled their goalie at the four minute mark and McInnis quickly scored and closed the gap to one with over three minutes left in the game…

But Kunyk was able to get an empty net goal with 30 seconds left to make it 4-2 and guarantee the much needed two points.
    More photos from UAF vs MSU here.
    Last edited by mmf; 01-04-2014, 03:12 PM.

Comment

mmf - your pics are fantastic!! Good job and thanks!

Comment

Sounds like UAA is stuck in Minneapolis. Hopefully our guys have an easy (relatively speaking) trip to Ohio.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
          Sounds like UAA is stuck in Minneapolis. Hopefully our guys have an easy (relatively speaking) trip to Ohio.
          When are the Nanooks leaving Alaska?
          Originally Posted by aparch
          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
            When are the Nanooks leaving Alaska?
            They usually take a redeye out Tuesday night (or Wednesday morning, depending on perspective). Depending on the flight schedules it's typically either a nonstop FAI-Seattle and onward, or hop to Anchorage and take the ANC-Chicago nonstop flight.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

They usually take a redeye out Tuesday night (or Wednesday morning, depending on perspective). Depending on the flight schedules it's typically either a nonstop FAI-Seattle and onward, or hop to Anchorage and take the ANC-Chicago nonstop flight.
              They're lucky. It was -10F (-40F windchill) in Bowling Green today with winds and blowing snow. The county is shut down until midnight tonight, allowing only essential travel. Supposed to be 15F tomorrow and 40F by the weekend with a chance of rain, which should be fun with the foot of snow we have. I don't think they would have been able to land in Detroit or Chicago yesterday or today.

Comment

Haven't been trolling over here in a while.
                Sounds like maybe the nooks are gonna fly into the teeth of the tiger.
                Much as I sports hate em don't want to see anyone forfeit because of weather.
                That skews the standings.
                Don't want to hear the whining when the mighty Seawolves finish higher in the standings.

Comment

• Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                  They're lucky. It was -10F (-40F windchill) in Bowling Green today with winds and blowing snow. The county is shut down until midnight tonight, allowing only essential travel. Supposed to be 15F tomorrow and 40F by the weekend with a chance of rain, which should be fun with the foot of snow we have. I don't think they would have been able to land in Detroit or Chicago yesterday or today.
                  It's 1 above and a 2 mph wind in Detroit right now. Sounds ok to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                    Haven't been trolling over here in a while.
                    We've really missed you.

Comment

Team left Tuesday morning red eye((late late Monday night))...got to Detroit and practiced there...They were to have bussed to Bowling Green, but because of weather, stayed over night in Detroit area....UAA is still in Minneapolis after there series last weekend at Wisconsin. They are expected to fly back late Thursday and get ready for Friday and Saturday series at Sullivan Arena against Minnesota State..The Mavericks bussed Sunday from Fairbanks to Anchorage...

Comment

Just confirmed, Carpenter will be returning to the line up tonight for BG!

Comment

UA_ took two penalties for 15 minutes last night (in the 3rd). I assume there was a 5 for CFB and a misconduct for 10? What happened?
                          Originally Posted by aparch
                          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                            UA_ took two penalties for 15 minutes last night (in the 3rd). I assume there was a 5 for CFB and a misconduct for 10? What happened?
                            Squarebanks must still be asleep. Was probably up late drowning his sorrows. As long as I'm guessing I'd say Mr. Beck must have been blatant and vicious in his cfb.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                              Square in the back into the boards. It's been called a 5 every time in BG this year. It's actually probably the most consistent call I've seen game to game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                                Squarebanks must still be asleep. Was probably up late drowning his sorrows. As long as I'm guessing I'd say Mr. Beck must have been blatant and vicious in his cfb.
                                He probably took notes from Bailey on how to be a captain and get ejected from a game at Bowling Green.

Comment

Working...
                                X