Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska Nanooks 2013-14 Season Thread - On the Road to Perdition...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2013-14 Season Thread - On the Road to Perdition...

I would like to see at least one of our goalies get his save percentage above 90%. We aren't allowing a lot if shots on goal (which tells me we are blocking a lot of shots), but we seem to have a bend-but-don't-break philosophy on goaltending and defense. A far cry from a few years back when we could snuff out anybody defensively but not score enough...seems like we've almost done a 180 in that regard.

But you are right, it's too early to make much sense of the wcha standings. If we survive this stretch on the road between now and the end of 2013, we should be well positioned for the last half of the season thanks to a back-loaded home schedule.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Minnesota- North Dakota running away with poll so far. Vote for UAF - UAA as best rivalry here

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2013...e-gostisbehere
      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Nice article in the News Miner about our student athletes (emphasis on the student part): http://www.newsminer.com/sports/uaf_....html?mode=jqm
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Don’t expect we’ll have a UAF vs FSU game thread, so here’s this week’s quick excel snip of info. Again, not my numbers, so I won’t take it personally if you trash them…but I won’t go to the trouble of changing them either.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I need to check the part where it says the average low temp in Fairbanks in Nov. is -4. It is -36 right now.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post

I need to check the part where it says the average low temp in Fairbanks in Nov. is -4. It is -36 right now.

Go Nooks!
            But it’s a dry -36 with a smoky fragrance ,chicks love it.
            Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 11-21-2013, 01:34 AM.
            Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
            UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
              But it’s a dry -36 with a smoky fragrance ,chicks love it.
              My phone says the wind chill in downtown Anchorage is only -15, which is waaaaaayyyyyyy better.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                My phone says the wind chill in downtown Anchorage is only -15, which is waaaaaayyyyyyy better.
                I tried searching for the Anchorage temperature and my iPhone came back with "Seawolves Suck."
                I guess auto-correct is more accurate than I originally thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
                  I tried searching for the Anchorage temperature and my iPhone came back with "Seawolves Suck."
                  Good One!
                  Alaska - My Very Big Back Yard!!!!

Comment

A few previews for this weekend:

http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com/201...erris.html?m=1

http://m.newsminer.com/sports/uaf_na....html?mode=jqm

http://alaskananooks.com/news/2013/1...x?path=mhockey

Game notes from the UAF athletic department: http://alaskananooks.com/custompages...menotes-11.pdf

Comment

Big congrats to Kunyk for reaching 100 points tonight. I fondly remember being in the stands when he took it to the house in OT against the pups last year...heck of a player.

As for the rest of the night, at least we figured out Motte.

Comment

Only because you have a red-neck phone!
                        Originally Posted by aparch
                        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Tough 5-3 loss to FSU last night.
                          For the most part we played fairly well, but their goaltending was clearly better than ours. I think we were the better skating club, but not very opportunistic. Good to see Kuynk get his 100th point. We still haven’t figured out how to defend in our zone. We gave them great opportunities and they capitalized. I know they are on the ice a lot and have good individual skills, but there is a reason why #6 and #4 were on the ice for almost every opponent goal. Except for special situations, I don’t like that d pairing. Someone in the pairing has to take pride in being more of a defensive defenseman.

We can definitely beat FSU if we just get our act together. Hope to see Jones in net tonight and a little more urgent play throughout the game. You could feel and see the urgency when we were making our run, but after we got back within striking distance, we kind of settle back into our “measured” play mode.

Go Nooks!

Comment

• It's hard to get a read on these guys. To their credit, they've played two of the stronger WCHA teams (LSSU and now Ferris) on the road so far. I think MTU will be tough next weekend as they will be acclimated to the time zone differences, then back on the road against a hungry Anchorage team that hasn't lost at home yet. If anything we will be toughened up for the second half.

Tough 5-3 loss to FSU last night.
                            For the most part we played fairly well, but their goaltending was clearly better than ours. I think we were the better skating club, but not very opportunistic. Good to see Kuynk get his 100th point. We still haven’t figured out how to defend in our zone. We gave them great opportunities and they capitalized. I know they are on the ice a lot and have good individual skills, but there is a reason why #6 and #4 were on the ice for almost every opponent goal. Except for special situations, I don’t like that d pairing. Someone in the pairing has to take pride in being more of a defensive defenseman.

We can definitely beat FSU if we just get our act together. Hope to see Jones in net tonight and a little more urgent play throughout the game. You could feel and see the urgency when we were making our run, but after we got back within striking distance, we kind of settle back into our “measured” play mode.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Tough weekend..these guys won't quit. BUT you can't play from behind---4-0 Friday and 3-0 Saturday--and expect to win. Cody Kunyk got SCREWED in the three-star balloting on Saturday night. After scoring a goal Friday to become the 30th Nanook to the 100 point club, he added three more points Saturday and was clearly one, if not, the best guy on the ice. Two goals, an assist and one of three payers with a plus two rating, and he doesn't get a three star selection...Shame on WHOEVER is part of the process... ,

That said, hats off to Ferris, they play that barn well, and are on a bit of a roll...

Comment

• "Bit of a roll" is an understatement. As long as Motte plays well, Ferris will play well. They remind me of us circa '08-'10 when Johnson and Greenham almost single handedly won some games.

If there's any consolation, I think Tech is still winless on the road. Hopefully that trend continues next weekend.

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
                                Tough weekend..these guys won't quit. BUT you can't play from behind---4-0 Friday and 3-0 Saturday--and expect to win. Cody Kunyk got SCREWED in the three-star balloting on Saturday night. After scoring a goal Friday to become the 30th Nanook to the 100 point club, he added three more points Saturday and was clearly one, if not, the best guy on the ice. Two goals, an assist and one of three payers with a plus two rating, and he doesn't get a three star selection...Shame on WHOEVER is part of the process... ,

That said, hats off to Ferris, they play that barn well, and are on a bit of a roll...

Comment

Working...
                                X