Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCHC to use shootouts in conference games

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    My gripe is with the points. It needs to be 3 pts for a regulation or OT win. Zero for a regulation or OT loss. 1 pt each for tying after the OT and 1 pt for the shootout win. And score it W-L-T-SOW
    Isn't that exactly what the NCHC is doing?

Powers &8^]

Comment

I can see using shootout for conference play as a tie break in standing. At the end of the game both teams have the same score they will receive 1 point. Use the shootout who would go ahead if there is a tie in points for conference play.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
        Why do you post on this message board when you hate college hockey so much? Wouldn't your time be better used masturbating to photos of London Knight players?
        Stop the potty talk and grow up. I have closely followed college hockey for 55 years as best my location and finances would allow. And you? Perhaps you were unable to discern the point of my previous post. You see there was sarcasm, not hatred involved.
        Fact: The most talented hockey players in the world in the most widely viewed and profitable hockey leagues and venues (NHL, AHL, Olympics, Major Junior) in the world play by different rules than current U.S. college hockey rules.
        You bad-mouth adopting a rule followed by world's most talented hockey players competing in the world's toughest leagues, apparently because you believe your incomparable credentials as a hockey fan/expert nullifies the accepted practices of the most talented players and the most attended, most successful leagues in the world. Climb down off your ego and grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
          When did ties become so horrible?
          Sometimes teams are evenly matched on a given night.
          Ties are an honorable outcome in many areas of competition (soccer and chess also come to mind). You only "need" a tie-breaker in a single-elimination tournament format. Shoot-outs to me are part of the transformation of our society from reasonable adulthood to indulgent permanent adolescence, but that's a whole 'nother story.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            Shootouts are happening. Everyone should really start focusing their energy on other things than stopping them.
            Sure, if a basketball game is tied after the first overtime, we go to a free-throw shooting contest to settle it??

It makes more sense to have the first 5 minute overtime be 4x4, then the second be 3x3, etc. than have a shootout: at least have the game decided by play on the ice rather than some gimmick.

Like anyone will care what we think anyway...

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
              I have closely followed college hockey for 55 years .
              You are old...neat.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                You are old...neat.
                You can read . . . neat.

Comment

Stop the potty talk and grow up. I have closely followed college hockey for 55 years as best my location and finances would allow. And you? Perhaps you were unable to discern the point of my previous post. You see there was sarcasm, not hatred involved.
                  Fact: The most talented hockey players in the world in the most widely viewed and profitable hockey leagues and venues (NHL, AHL, Olympics, Major Junior) in the world play by different rules than current U.S. college hockey rules.
                  You bad-mouth adopting a rule followed by world's most talented hockey players competing in the world's toughest leagues, apparently because you believe your incomparable credentials as a hockey fan/expert nullifies the accepted practices of the most talented players and the most attended, most successful leagues in the world. Climb down off your ego and grow up.
                  Was the NHL more popular before or after they started using shootouts? Ya know, because the NHL is so well attended and successful.
                  Originally posted by SJHovey
                  Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                  Originally posted by Brenthoven
                  We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

You can read . . . neat.
                    *****http://dashie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw8785-NOPE.gif******
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I have not expressed my opinion on shootouts. You are projecting and assuming that I am opposed to shootouts. Why are you projecting?

But speaking of climbing down off your ego, you constantly bring a pompous and pointless attitude towards this board where you seem to go out of your way to disparage college hockey. For being such an avid follower, you certainly rarely have much positive to say about it. Just because some people don't like shootouts, you bring it upon yourself to be your usual smug self and look down upon them. As if you having watched hockey for 55 years grants you this all-knowing outlook where you are always correct.
                      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                        *****http://dashie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw8785-NOPE.gif******
                        Osorojo is pulling his typical borderline-personality crahp and those who don't know him already are being sucked in by his dysfunction....

Though the Wikipedia article fails to include a description of how someone with this disorder tends to stir up controversy among other people while remaining unaffected themselves. That's often a useful diagnostic, actually, for practitioners: if you feel yourself becoming unreasonably annoyed with someone, odds are good that s/he has a borderline personality disorder.
                        Last edited by FreshFish; 08-21-2013, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                          Was the NHL more popular before or after they started using shootouts? Ya know, because the NHL is so well attended and successful.
                          After. Check NHL attendance and revenue growth since shootouts were adopted. Shootouts may not have had a huge positive effect but they clearly did not destroy revenue or attendance. Lockouts did. Perhaps the majority of fans of world-class hockey do not share your aversion to shootouts. Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            Sure, if a basketball game is tied after the first overtime, we go to a free-throw shooting contest to settle it??
                            Or just don't play stupid basketball. That also works.
                            St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              Osorojo is pulling his typical borderline-personality crahp and those who don't know him already are being sucked in by his dysfunction....
                              Oh I know. Osorojo is Latin for "go look up appropriate pony images".
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I have not followed college hockey for 55 years in anticipation of its failure, despite your conclusion to the contrary. I enjoy hockey, from mites to pros, including DI college hockey. I would like to see college hockey better attended, but I will not judge the sophistication of newfound fans, as so many critics of shootouts have done[check previous posts]. I would like to see the popularity and quality of DI college hockey competition rise compared to other amateur, semi-pro, and professional leagues. Blustering and insults will not reconcile differences in rules differences between world-class and DI college hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X