NCHC to use shootouts in conference games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCHC to use shootouts in conference games

Shootouts are happening. Everyone should really start focusing their energy on other things than stopping them.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
      Shootouts are happening. Everyone should really start focusing their energy on other things than stopping them.
      Unless you're a goaltender....then you probably should spend some energy trying to stop them.
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
        Unless you're a goaltender....then you probably should spend some energy trying to stop them.
        Meh. Even then, screw it.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Yeah...I posted this in the NCHC thread like a week ago.
          St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Prep for the playoffs. Just keep going until someone scores. Heck, don't even run the clock; if they have to play for an hour straight, put them through it.

Comment

Stupid.

The only thing we can do to stop it is leave games before the shootout starts.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                Stupid.

*****http://fabtips.co.uk/blog-images/tumblr_mf2g15A3BO1qddomx.gif******
                "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                  I'd say more like getting players mentally prepared for everything at the next level, including shoot outs. Plus they'll be practicing them more which will develop their skill set on that part of the game.

Does anyone know if the CHL has shootouts?
                  Does anybody know if teams actually focus on the shootout as a thing or is it just a normal "funtime" practice routine.
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

From a former CCHA fan... Sorry- didn't mean it, but the accident happened. And then kept happening as if people really liked it. Mostly it was just painful like the accident of getting your wrist cut open via a thousands paper cuts.

(PLEASE don't do this in the B1G!!! Ties are fine. Just fine)

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      Stupid.

Back in the 70`s/80`s when the IHL had shootouts, I used to get up and leave after the actual hockey game ended. I didn`t see many people following me, so I doubt there could be a significant movement started to get people to walk out. The benefit for me was that I got a head start out of the parking lot, which was good since I had a fifty mile drive home.

Comment

One thing I have not seen brought up here is what I foresee as an unintended consequence that will have a negative effect on many NCHC hockey games. (Maybe some CCHA fans can weigh in on this as they have been through this already.)

As a game enters the last minutes of the third period, with the score tied, both teams will have a disincentive to push hard for the game winner. Why take chances by attacking hard? Getting to the shootout guarantees a point, with a 50% chance of gaining a second point. Taking risks in the attacking zone can result in a breakout by the opponents, and a late goal for them, and then you are left with zero points. The five overtime minutes could be even worse (i.e. boring conservative play by both sides).

To avoid this issue, the league could award three points to the team that wins a normal, non-shootout match. Then the final five minutes of the third period, and the overtime, would feature some great attacking hockey as teams vie for all three points.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          From a former CCHA fan... Sorry- didn't mean it, but the accident happened. And then kept happening as if people really liked it. Mostly it was just painful like the accident of getting your wrist cut open via a thousands paper cuts.

(PLEASE don't do this in the B1G!!! Ties are fine. Just fine)
                          B1G has already said they will use shootouts

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/b1g-use-...igns-echl-team
                          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                            B1G has already said they will use shootouts

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/b1g-use-...igns-echl-team
                            NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, well. I hope I don't have to see any.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                              When did ties become so horrible?
                              Sometimes teams are evenly matched on a given night.
                              It's ridiculous but the "fans" love it so it's likely here to stay.
                              No fans like it. It is a part of the never-ending pathetic attempt of the suits trying to persuade people who don't like hockey to watch. Maybe one day the decision makers will make decisions in the best interests of the loyal fans of the sport rather than using fighting, glowing pucks or skills competitions to draw in the people that watch 2.5 men. Probably not, though.
                              Originally posted by SJHovey
                              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                              Originally posted by Brenthoven
                              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                                No fans like it. It is a part of the never-ending pathetic attempt of the suits trying to persuade people who don't like hockey to watch. Maybe one day the decision makers will make decisions in the best interests of the loyal fans of the sport rather than using fighting, glowing pucks or skills competitions to draw in the people that watch 2.5 men. Probably not, though.
                                I completely agree. After the lockout the NHL needed to get fans back and it got back like 5. College hockey does not need the shoot out because more fans are actually against it. I have been to many great games that end in a tie.
                                Rinks Visited
                                DCU Center
                                Tulley Forum
                                TD Garden
                                Tsongas Arena
                                J. Thom Lawler Arena
                                Conte Forum
                                Whittemore Center
                                Agganis Arena
                                Verizon Center
                                Gutterson Fieldhouse
                                Matthews Arena