Lindenwood Women's Ice Hockey 2013-14 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindenwood Women's Ice Hockey 2013-14 Season Thread

Welcome to a new season Lady Lions fans!

First catch up on important the off-season news:

Lindenwood Athletics Completes NCAA Membership Process
    http://www.lindenwoodlions.com/news/...?path=baseball

Women's Hockey Announces 2013-14 Recruiting Class
    http://www.lindenwoodlions.com/news/...x?path=whockey

Women's Hockey Adds Samantha Ullrich To Coaching Staff

Women's Ice Hockey 2013-14 Schedule...Eight Games Against Top-Ten NCAA Division I Teams

Re: Lindenwood Women's Ice Hockey 2013-14 Season Thread

LU finished their season with some exciting hockey. Will be very interested to see how they progress with 98% of their scoring intact versus some others who have graduated over 3 of their top 5 scorers (RIT).

Comment

I think a success for LU would be 10 wins. They will need to get to 70-75 goals. Finished at 61 last, can they produce 10 more this year?

Comment

Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
        I think a success for LU would be 10 wins. They will need to get to 70-75 goals. Finished at 61 last, can they produce 10 more this year?
        With 7 wins last season, 3 ties and a cpl games that could have gone their way, including the 90-save OT heartbreaker to RMU in the CHA first round, they weren't too far away from 10 wins last season. I think 10 wins would be decent, 12-15 would be success.

Real success will happen as the program continues to mature at the NCAA level, they've schedule very hard non-conference opponents the past two seasons (from the WCHA) and playing those top team will continue to harden a young team and give the girls big-game experience. Last year the team went 7-10-3 in CHA competition, and the conference is not a cake walk.

Comment

Based on their scoring trajectory over their first 2 DI seasons, LU is on track to exceed 70 goals, however the first year schedule makes comparison difficult. The CHA should be very competitive for the non-Merceyhurst five. I expect Penn State to improve markedly and RIT is slip slightly based on graduation or non-graduation of talent. I am going to predict a split of the non-Merceyhurst games, and another couple of Ws versus their non-conference foes for a total of 12 wins.

Comment

Those wins will most likely have to come against the 8 games vs. BSU or Minnesota State Mankato. Two teams who won 6 and 10 games last year. I still see LU winning no more than 10 games.

Comment

Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
              Those wins will most likely have to come against the 8 games vs. BSU or Minnesota State Mankato. Two teams who won 6 and 10 games last year. I still see LU winning no more than 10 games.
              I'll take the under on 10 wins. Goals come easier in games you are trailing by a wide margin than in close contests.

With that said, why does Lindenwood not have any Illinois recruits on their roster? Next to UW, they are the closest D1 school geographically to Chicago. Never seen them locally or heard of them even looking at "Chicago" talent. If I were them, I'd be the "local" D1 school.

Comment

They were in Chicago pretty heavy when they recruited and landed the CYA goalie in this years recruiting class
                ...does not show in threads because she is officially a transfer from Sacred Heart. They also were in the running for a couple Mission players as well and have their eyes on a few more 16U's from the area...

Comment

Although it wasn't in their recruiting annoucement, they landed transfer Shara Jasper from Minnesota-Duluth. She is redshirting this year due to injury so she won't provide any help for another year, but she can play both forward and D and could provide some needed help as last year's transfers Witwicke and Slattery are seniors this year and will be departing.

Comment

I saw Shara Jasper play with Colorado with in the JWHL. She will be a good addition. Do you have any information on the nature of her injury?

Comment

My understanding is that it was a non-hockey related injury and tendon in her elbow had to be reattached. They took one from her leg to replace it in July and she will redshirt this year while rehabbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bender View Post
                        My understanding is that it was a non-hockey related injury and tendon in her elbow had to be reattached. They took one from her leg to replace it in July and she will redshirt this year while rehabbing.
                        Ah. Tommy John surgery. I'm interested to find out what the long term prognosis is for a hockey player that has it. For pitchers they have the success rate (i.e. returning to the mound with approximately the same velocity & control as prior to the surgery) up to around 70%. I would imagine that the chances are better than that for a hockey player, since the requirements aren't as great for either the stress or fine control needed to pitch, but I've never heard of a hockey player having it, so who knows.

Comment

Tommy John is a tendon replacement procedure for the Ulnar collateral ligament of the elbow

Comment

I heard they had to take out the ice on LU's usual rink. Any word on the status?

Comment

Originally posted by backcheck View Post
                              I heard they had to take out the ice on LU's usual rink. Any word on the status?
                              My understanding is that the ice has been down since May and when they tried to bring up both rinks in August they couldn't get them both up. I believe they still do not have ice and are trying to rent ice at other rinks. Not a good start to the season.

Comment

Working...
                              X