• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for Aspiring College Plaers

From Women's Hockey Life.com :
    By Kim McCullough

5 Deal-Breakers For Scouts
    01 August, 2013

After spending the weekend in Boston coaching players who aspire to play hockey at the college hockey level and speaking with the scouts who were narrowing down their shortlists of players who they are interested in, I realized how much the little details of the game make a big difference.

If you want to play at the next level, you have to pay attention to the little details and avoid these five BIG deal-breakers.

::: 5 DEAL-BREAKERS FOR SCOUTS :::

1. Doesn't Stop On Pucks

Every player has heard their coach tell them to stop and start. There is nothing worse than watching a player do a "fly-by" on their check and do a big circle to recover back instead of stopping and starting. Whether it is after a turnover or while trying to angle your opponent, if you miss the puck or make a mistake, you have to stop and start instead of doing the big circle. It is so noticeable when players do it - I heard more than handful of coaches and scouts expressing their frustration at "fly-bys" at the tournament this weekend.

2. Disappears As Game/Tournament Goes On

Everyone is excited and energized for the first shift of the game and the first game of the tournament. But can you sustain it? It is great to be a rockstar at the start of the game and tournament, but if you are invisible in the third period or in the third game of the tournament, scouts will notice. You have to be consistent. It's one of the hardest things for young players to learn, but it is absolutely critical if you want to get to the next level. Coaches want to know that you can deliver a consistent effort from shift-to-shift and game-to-game if they are going to even consider bringing you into their college program someday.

3. No Second Effort

This one is just painful to watch. We all make mistakes on the ice. We miss the puck, miss our check, miss the net and mishandle the puck. How do you react when you make that mistake? Some players give up when they mess up. And that's a serious red flag for every coach. It's inevitable that you are going to make mistakes on the ice - but how will you recover from that mistake? A player who is unwilling to make the 2nd effort will not see the ice at the college level - if they even make it there at all.

4. Lazy Changes

This one is easy. You need to skate hard to the bench at the end of your shift and come off the bench like you've been shot out of a rocket to start your next shift. Lazy changes stick out like a sore thumb. Come out flying at the start of your shift and then work as hard as you can to change quickly so that your teammate can go out and get their job done.

5. Bad Body Language

Body language doesn't lie. As I said above, you're going to screw up out there. And so are your teammates. What will your body language say about the mistake you just made? Will you slam your stick on the ice? Will you shake your head or droop your shoulders? Will you slow down or speed up? Will you keep going full-out as if nothing ever happened? Bad body language is selfish and distracting. And it is a huge red flag for every coach and scout out there.

These 5 deal-breakers have NOTHING to do with elite level skill.

These are all CHOICES. You simply DECIDE that you are going to pay attention to these details. Differentiate yourself from the crowd by deciding to always be the hardest working player on the ice. Period.

Don't give a scout a reason to cross your name off the list.

Feel free to pass this along to any players, teammates or coaches who you think might benefit from the information.

Work Hard. Dream BIG. Pay Attention To Details.

Your friend and coach,

Kim
    Last edited by DC78-82; 08-01-2013, 01:50 PM.
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Yes the little details are important.

"Aspiring College PLAERS"

Ummm, need I say more?

Comment

Re: Tips for Aspiring College Players

What is your point. This thread was not started by the author of the article.

Comment

Re: Tips for Aspiring College Plaers

Originally posted by North East DAD View Post

Ummm, need I say more?
        Ha! I was typing fast, and hit post before looking. Evidently you can't edit a thread title. I could have blown up the thread and started over, but moved on
        "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

I thought you were just spelling for "eastcoast plaer" effect kinda rapper like

Comment

Originally posted by thehocksdad View Post
            What is your point. This thread was not started by the author of the article.
            Oh I don't know maybe just passing on some info......................
            Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

I know this article is intended for kids trying to get noticed for college, but it really applies at every level. I coached Tier 1 and Tier 2 U12 and U14 girls teams in New England for several years and most of the girls were pursuing a place on prep school teams. Even at the age of 13 or 14 the prep school coaches (many of them future or former college coaches) were looking for the exact same character reflecting behaviors. I'll never forget that before a game one of the powerhouse (at the time) D1 NE prep school coachs came up to us U14 coaches to ask about 3 of our players and we gave our inputs. After the game the coach came back to follow up and we asked how she thought the girls had played. She had glowing reviews of 2 of the players. The 3rd player (a defenseman) had not had her best game and gotten beaten at one point and the opposing player scored as a result. The prep school coach said "I crossed her off when she got beaten". We started to say that she was actually a betetr player than she demonstrated in that game, but the coach interrupted with "I didn't cross her off because she got beaten - I've seen her play before - but because she broke her stick on the goalpost after the play. She doesn't know how to learn from/deal with mistakes and my experience tells me that I can't change that behavior". A big learning point for me.

Comment

Originally posted by North East DAD View Post

Ummm, need I say more?
                Hmmm....Many of us know DC (The OP) as a long time contributor, a former D1 College player on a dominant team that had several undefeated seasons, main booster of said D1 team and a true lifelong fan of the game.

She passed along a great set of tips that is worth a good read and worth remembering for any aspiring college player. It also happens to be her Birthday TODAY.....Happy B-day DC. !!!

Also know the author of the article. She is a well known commodity in the fitness and hockey off-ice training world in Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                X