Eastern Illinois adding D1 hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern Illinois adding D1 hockey?

Uh, don't really know what to make of this yet.

The CollegeHockey.info twitter account looks like a joke. Anything on their own I wouldn't put much stock in. However the reply is from the actual Eastern Illinois ACHA twitter account.

Summer prank or early announcement? Or master plan to trick stronger ACHA recruits to flock to their team in hopes of getting some time in the NCAA? Slow news day in the summer so at least worth posting. I'm sure if something more official comes along we'll hear about it.
    Last edited by slowe; 07-26-2013, 09:03 AM.

Re: Eastern Illinois adding D1 hockey?

Only time will tell...
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Wait 'til they see the bill.

Comment

This is a good thing. I've said we need more of the "character" schools in this game because that's what makes it interesting. The big lights might bring in the big bucks but that's never been why this is fun.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

HE commish Joe Bertagna is very excited. Here comes ND's travel partner.

(kidding)

(sort of)
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Talk about coming out of left field. This was from the bullpen.

If true, of course.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Long live the OVCHC!!!
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

If true it is out of left field, but I can see it. I'm not that familiar with Eastern, but it is a smart play. University of Illinois and Northwestern obviously have a lot going for them. Northern Illinois has a strong football program. Illinois State doesn't stand out really, but is bigger than Eastern I think. Illinois has a lot of hockey players but no D1 school. It would be a good way to carve out a niche for themselves.

As for how it would work? Again, if serious, they would need to build an arena on campus. There isn't even a small ice rink there. The ACHA team uses David S. Palmer Arena in Danville, IL which is about half an hour away. It's an arena built in 1980 that houses 2,300. It's been home to an NAHL team and several small minor league hockey teams, currently the Danville Dashers in the FHL. That might be a temporary plan, but they would have to build an arena on campus to be competitive.

I assume the WCHA would take them in a heartbeat. Another team to minimize travel to Alaska AND it would beat out Bowling Green to be the new closest team to Huntsville by about 150 miles and two hours by bus. It's not right in the middle of the footprint but it's close enough. Probably not "like minded" enough for the NCHC.

I'd love to see it since Illinois needs a D1 program. But at this point it's an unofficial tweet that might be a joke. Illinois isn't that rich, Eastern isn't that big, and I'm not sure how many sugar daddies they have lined up. Worth watching but I'll wait for something more.

Comment

It's hard to take CollegeHockey.info seriously when they have no news on their web page outside of a College Hockey News widget.
                  Michael Napier - UAH '97
                  uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                  U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                  NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                  CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                  CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

I didn't even know there was an "eastern" part of Illinois. Seems a bit like "northern Tennessee."
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
                      If true Illinois isn't that rich, Eastern isn't that big, and I'm not sure how many sugar daddies they have lined up. Worth watching but I'll wait for something more.
                      Who is Jimmy John's Subs?
                      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Looks like EIU is about a half hour south of Champaign.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Not even taking this information with a grain of salt. Collegehockey.info has worse credibility than the National Enquirer.

The University of Illinois is the most likely team to make the jump to D-I out of that state, and they're probably light years away at best.
                          Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                          66 - 86 - 07
                          59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                          59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                            I didn't even know there was an "eastern" part of Illinois. Seems a bit like "northern Tennessee."
                            Or northern southern eastern western anything Rhode Island...
                            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                            Originally posted by Quizmire
                            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

So is Tony Romo footing the bill for this?

EIU is totally off the reservation as far as "making the jump" goes... If true, there are a ton of questions... Not holding my breath though...
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                              X