Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the difference between division i, ii, and iii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the difference between division i, ii, and iii?

What is the difference between division i, ii, and iii?

Re: What is the difference between division i, ii, and iii?

Scholorships
    http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
      Scholorships
      Not so simple. There are DI schools that offer no scholarships( Ivies, Union ) there are DII schools that play up and offer scholarships ( AIC, Bemtley) and DII schools that ofer no scholarships and play in DIII leagues ( saint anselm , st. Michaels).
      DIII is the only one that cannot and do not offer scholarships.

Comment

D-I gets the most NCAA $$ and spends the most. To 95% of the American public, D-I IS the NCAA.

D-II gets some money and spends some. It has some TV presence.

D-III is the largest NCAA division and gets the least amount of NCAA $$. TV is what you find in the dorms.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          D-I gets the most NCAA $$ and spends the most. To 95% of the American public, D-I IS the NCAA.

D-II gets some money and spends some. It has some TV presence.

D-III is the largest NCAA division and gets the least amount of NCAA $$. TV is what you find in the dorms.
          An interesting issue is going to be what happens if the college-in-name-only football and basketball conferences break away from the NCAA as has been rumored. Will non-football programs still stay in the NCAA? How will that affect the division structure? Will the NCAA add Division 0 (one less than 1, and in the NCAA smaller is wealthier) to keep those guys at home? If so, what happens to other sports?
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Another important question to ask: Is our Children learning?

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
              An interesting issue is going to be what happens if the college-in-name-only football and basketball conferences break away from the NCAA as has been rumored. Will non-football programs still stay in the NCAA? How will that affect the division structure? Will the NCAA add Division 0 (one less than 1, and in the NCAA smaller is wealthier) to keep those guys at home? If so, what happens to other sports?
              NUProf.....can you elaborate? You have me asking questions. Your comments are all about D-1.....correct? What is D-0? Is it D-1 basketball only schools? Smaller is wealthier? Are you talking about Rice, Vandy, Wake Forest, Duke, Northwestern, etc? I don't think you are talking about smaller conferences because most conferences are going to 12-14 members so they can have two different divisions. Thanks!
              Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Comment

Originally posted by neumyer View Post
                NUProf.....can you elaborate? You have me asking questions. Your comments are all about D-1.....correct? What is D-0? Is it D-1 basketball only schools? Smaller is wealthier? Are you talking about Rice, Vandy, Wake Forest, Duke, Northwestern, etc? I don't think you are talking about smaller conferences because most conferences are going to 12-14 members so they can have two different divisions. Thanks!
                I'm pretty sure he meant that current D1 had the most NCAA money around, compared to D2, then D3, so the smaller the divsion label number, the more money. So creating a D0 should mean even more money for those teams.

I have long felt the NCAA comes down as hard as it can on smaller schools because they are so ineffective on the big name and power football and basketball teams, but especially football. There are 20-30 college teams that could thumb their noses at the NCAA and hold there own seasons and tournaments free of NCAA sanctions. At the risk of beating a live horse (the one ridden onto the field for Seminole games), some schools are effectively beyond the control of the NCAA.
                Go 'Wick!

Comment

There is a rumored move to create some kind of super division either in or outside of the NCAA for the REALLY Big Time football schools - PAC-12, Big "10", Big "XII," SEC, ACC. I suggested they call it Division 0. I have read (hopefully from alarmists) that these leagues are considering withdrawing from the NCAA if they aren't allowed to pay their athletes. Next step (in place already at some schools in a defacto manner), classes optional.

My question - what would such a move do to DI hockey?

Comment

There is a rumored move to create some kind of super division either in or outside of the NCAA for the REALLY Big Time football schools - PAC-12, Big "10", Big "XII," SEC, ACC. I suggested they call it Division 0. I have read (hopefully from alarmists) that these leagues are considering withdrawing from the NCAA if they aren't allowed to pay their athletes. Next step (in place already at some schools in a defacto manner), classes optional.

Okay, now I get it. Thanks!
                    Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Comment

I think that the NCAA would say if you don't want to play in our sandbox with all your sports, you can't play in the sandbox at all.

Then it would be up to the courts and lawyers
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I think that the NCAA would say if you don't want to play in our sandbox with all your sports, you can't play in the sandbox at all.

That's why I think we are heading for Division 0 (which will stand for the number of rules of amateurism that group will have to follow) of the NCAA.

Comment

That's why I think we are heading for Division 0 (which will stand for the number of rules of amateurism that group will have to follow) of the NCAA.
                          You could call it the Network division, because that's where all the TV money would be.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I think the major college football schools would be okay with that. And if it worked out for them, big-time college basketball might see similar efforts.

The the NC$$ would be the NCPOOR....
                            Go 'Wick!

Comment

Working...
                            X